Favorite Colorado Lagers!

Discussion in 'US - West' started by ManBearPat, Jun 30, 2016.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Not sure if @ManBearPat saw their Baltic porter in cans. Too bad its aged on cherries and blackberries or some such nonsense.

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Zealot (545) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I did not, but R.I.P.
    Why they gotta do me like that??!

That said Grimm makes some seriously tasty bois and I’ll always try their offerings, whale maybe not a fruity Baltic Porter

SFACRKnight and Bitterbill like this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Grimm was always one of my favorites Colorado breweries and one of my favorite associations of my time living up in Fort Collins. Can't say I am a fan of this direction they seem to be going, seems out of character from what I grew to expect from their beers.

I guess they always had that raspberry valentines beer though, so maybe this fits? I don't know....but not for me.

4. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (31) Dec 15, 2016 California

Grimm Brothers hasn’t changed direction all that much. Bleeding Heart has been a Baltic Porter with different fruits every year for several years.

Sucks to lose a regularly scheduled Maibock, but I don’t blame them for playing the Radler game.

Their core lineup is still unique and delicious.

5. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

For realsies I saw cans in the wild, pulled one down to get a look and saw the fruits and muttered "fuckin manbearpat was right" and put it back. Hows about some plain ass Baltic porters guys?

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,819) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Odd change from Grimm. Helles/heller bock and Maibock are the same type of beer, just without ties to the calendar. But a radler seems out of left field.

Not that it's a bad idea, but why continue to use that name? I've always been puzzled by that. When you change a beer so significantly that it's not even remotely the same - give it a new name. There is no shortage of fairy tale references they could go with. I'm not suggesting they pull a Rogue and have 5 SKU's for the same beer, but it just seems odd to repurpose the name of a very different beer.

7. ManBearPat

Agreed in Grimms case, but feel like it made a lot of sense for Odell with Mountain Standard. Completely different now outside of the IPA portion... but that beer name is sweet and you can’t let that go imo

Bitterbill and 3bthero like this.
  8. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Aspirant (285) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Mountain Standard went from trendy IPA style to current trendy IPA style.

Not that I didn't love both of them.

barneyrubble, eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  9. Justins123

Justins123 Initiate (18) Feb 7, 2016 Colorado

I know it's not a Colorado beer, but has anyone tried Logsdon Lager? Looks like it's shown up locally.

StubFaceJoe likes this.
  10. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe Disciple (324) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Society Trader

I had a really good experience. I'd give it around a 93 overall. Some minor things that didn't blow me away completely, but it gets a lot right. Mind you I had it super fresh, like 2-3 weeks after canning.

11. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

Drinking my first Bierstadt Slow Pour Pils from a can tonight, Upon first sip I was caught off guard by a limp sourish mouthfeel. Poured the Enegren brewed and packaged American Reinheitsgebot Pilsner. You even tell by the picture the sad state of the Slow Pour. For the record I've drank a ton of Slow Pour on draft and love it.

[​IMG]

eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  12. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

Okay, so this one is much better than Slow Pour as well. Are they using different places to take care of their canning? [​IMG]

eppCOS, Bitterbill and StubFaceJoe like this.
  13. travis224

travis224 Aspirant (202) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Baere has a Maibock on their site called Spring Cadence. And it comes in 4 packs of 16 ounces or you can get a single can. Haven't tried it yet, but their lagers are usually on point. Their Dunkel is killer, so I'm excited for this one too.

14. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (31) Dec 15, 2016 California

Every Slow Pour Pils and Helles can I've had from Bierstadt has been on point. Not sure what the issue with your can could be. Those tall glasses are pretty difficult to clean well, maybe some residual soap killed the foam for you? Report back when you crack another; hopefully it was just one can or the glass.

StubFaceJoe and gyorgymarlowe like this.
  15. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

I picked up sixer of Hoffbrau Maibock from Mondo Vino last week. Tasted damn good to me.

eppCOS and clusterfolk like this.
  16. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (97) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Baere does really excellent stuff, so I'm excited to try this. $17 for a four-pack is steep, but these are desperate times. Late May, and I went to Molly's looking exclusively for maibock and came up empty.

Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I took Domingo's recommendation and hit up Dry Dock for their maibock, and it really hit the spot. Big and rich malt, perfect for these cool evenings that we've had.

SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  17. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (97) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Also, I'm happy to see an uptick in available vienna lagers, one of my other favorite styles. Of course TRVE put theirs out a couple months ago, and I had been enjoying Jenny Lake from our friends up at Snake River. But this week I picked up two new ones -- Prost's newly packaged Venna Lager and Slow Chill from Oskar Blues. So far I've really enjoyed Prost's and can definitely see it becoming a staple in my fridge, since the wife likes dark lagers as well. Tasty and crushable at 5%.

Canada_Dan, eppCOS and SFACRKnight like this.
  18. travis224

Trader

I can't remember if it's a thread favorite or not, but Upslope's German Pilsner is out. I picked up a sixer today. Haven't cracked one yet, but I will in maybe a couple hours.

gyorgymarlowe, Bitterbill and Domingo like this.
  19. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

I thought it was great when I tried it during the last go round.

Bitterbill and eppCOS like this.
  20. travis224

Trader

Pretty darn tasty, I think. Tastes authentically German to me, but I'm no expert. Nice bitter, skunky, hops, crisp, good body. I recommend!

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  21. Domingo

Society

That's actually my favorite Maibock...but it kinda isn't a Maibock. In Germany it's called Urbock and they sell it from May until nearly September. I guess a few years ago they rebranded it for our market as a Maibock, but it's a "normal" bock for all intents and purposes. They used to have a different extra-pale one, but it was discontinued. At least so I assume. I haven't had this year's version. Either way, I love it to death and it's one of my favorite beers from Munich.

22. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

Interesting stuff. I'm no bock expert, but I'm gaining interest. I'm glad to hear you think so highly of Hofbräu's Maibock, regardless of style this beer is delicious. Brown bottles are dope. Classic German flavors, tastes fresh and clean.

Here's a little background info on the beer:

Did you know spring’s signature brew is also one of Munich’s oldest beers? Yep, this oldie but goodie was created in 1614 due to the people of Munich’s demand for a newer and stronger beer. Brew Master Elias Pichler was the man who rose to the challenge.

Since the beer would have to travel long distances Pichler turned to the Einbeck brewing method. This called for heating the beer to a very high temperature which enabled it to ferment longer. After much experimenting Pichler finally succeeded in creating a flavor as strong as it was refreshing.

The people were pleased.

"Today Maibock is still made using Pichler’s 400-year-old formula and is recognized for its pale copper hue and malty flavor with hints of caramel. As with all of our famous brews it strictly adheres to the purity law governing German beers. This award-winning brew contains 16% original wort and an alcohol level of about 7.2% abv. We have Mr. Pichler to thank for that."

Source: http://www.hofbrauhaus.us/blog/maibock-s-magnificent-journey/

[​IMG]

23. Domingo

Society

Interesting wording they use since they're kinda/sorta saying it's a normal bock. None of the others look or taste like that, although I recall getting a more typical pale bock from them 7-8 years ago. I want to say someone in the German forum posted a side-by-side, but I could be thinking of something else.
    Over in Munich, most of them are pale gold and tend to stick around from April until maybe June if you're lucky. Frankly, I don't love most of them. They're mostly one-note to me, and I get sick of them after a few minutes. I feel the same way about most of the exports in town, too.
    That one has caramel notes galore and tastes way, way closer to Salvator or Optimator than say, Augustiner or Spaten Maibock. They put it on at the Chinese Tower biergarten as Ur-Bock right after it opens for the season. It has still been on the week before September, which is the latest I've been (not-counting Christmas). For all I know they keep it on for the whole biergarten season. It's one of the only bock-strength beers you'll encounter at the well-traveled biergartens. They do full liters, too. I've been known to camp there for most of the day thanks to that beer.

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

According to my Untapped I had Ayinger Maibock on draft at Rhein Haus Denver two years ago. My notes suggest it was too sweet to enjoy much of. This is definitely not the case wth Hofbräu which is nicely hop balanced. I can't remember the appearance of the Ayinger - where does that one fall, is it more of a traditional Maibock, Domingo?

25. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

If you can still find/get the Cerebral Inhabited Form Dry-Hopped Oat Lager (I know I know... not a pure form) it's actually damn good. Tastes like a strong (7%), hoppy, wheaty Lizard King. Nice appearance, good balance.
    I'll be baggin' that Upslope German Pils too, for the next couple of weeks. That thing is stellar for its ABV and one of the FEW good uses I've tasted with Loral hops in the mix.

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. Domingo

Society

I guess I should be a little embarrassed, but I've never actually tried Ayinger's Maibock. I've even been to Aying when was in season, but just never ordered one. I'd assume it's probably one of the typical examples based on photos, but I dunno. Generally speaking, I find that pale bocks tend to be straight-ahead sweet and 1-note. Just huge pale malt sweetness. Hop character is dialed back even more than normal for Bavarian beers, too. To me they're almost like a better malt liquor. Quite a few spezial/export/maerzen beers taste similarly one-note to me. A lot of folks love that, but I get bored with it. Andechs is the only place that makes pale strong beers I truly love.

gyorgymarlowe and eppCOS like this.
  27. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Its pale. I have a clone lagering in the keezer right now since I can never seem to find it. As @Domingo said the BU/GU ratio looked a bit low so I naturally tripled the amount of hops. That was what I loved about prosts maibock was the obvious late hop additions giving it that nice floral nose.

28. Domingo

Society

I think I'm going to try and snag both the Ayinger and Prost Maibocks if I happen to see them. At least a single of each out of curiosity. I really like most of Ayinger's beers, although I do find that their bottled weissbiers don't really translate very well. On tap they're some of the best in that region. From a bottle they tend to be kind of bland.

Anyway, I'll probably also grab some more Maibock from Dry Dock since it's different from the typical pale ones that bore me. If the Hofbrau one is fresh, it'll be a definite purchase, too.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (220) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I have got to find the Prost Vienna. That sounds awesome.

I tried DBC's Vienna last week for the first time (Pretzel Logic?). It was damn good, I have no idea why I've passed it over for so long.

Slow Chill is really good.

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Ayinger bottles dont come stateside. Only kegs. I dont drink out often so I had no alternatives.

Bitterbill and Domingo like this.
  31. ManBearPat

Loving the Vienna Lager love round here!!!!

Not packaged, but Zwei’s is straight drool emoji if y’all are ever in the area... geeeeit it

Bitterbill, FarmerTed and clusterfolk like this.
  32. Domingo

Society

VERY good to know. Glad I didn't try and hunt it down. Guess I won't be trying that one any time soon. I haven't been to Munich in May in forever and have no idea when I'll make it back.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  33. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

34. Domingo

Society

Ayinger pils might be the single best import pils we get in CO. At least that's readily available since Tannenzaepfle and Schoenramer only show up once in a blue moon.
    The bottled version holds up just fine. Weird quirk - pilsners are rarely served on tap in/around Munich. Ayinger's included. Most of the times I've encountered it have been from bottles. I don't recall a difference between tap/bottle as long as they aren't really old.
    Here's a weird caveat, though - I've gotten diacetyl from it more than once. Not every bottle, but just random ones. It isn't strong or horribly offensive, but it's occasionally there. Even on tap. Those pours are obviously NOT that great, but luckily most of them don't have it.

35. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Maybe the best beer I have had. Total wine had fresh bottles two weeks ago.

Bitterbill and gyorgymarlowe like this.
  36. Domingo

Society

One of these days I'm going to try to have a lager showdown with German bottles. I'd be curious how Jever, Tannenzaepfle, Schoenramer, Ayinger, Keesmann, etc. compare to one another when fresh. Mix in a couple of Munich-city bottles for fun, too. I've done a side-by-side with Herren and Tannenzaepfle and was pretty amazed how different, yet equally good, the two were. Ditto with Jever, which is probably the driest of them all but not really my jam. Similarly I'd like to do a comparison of helles beers from Andechs, Augustiner, Hofbrau, etc. Maybe throw in Stiegl or even a Beck's Gold for the hell of it.

37. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Savant (903) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

When/where is this going down? Count me in :slight_smile:

Bitterbill and Domingo like this.
  38. bfields4

bfields4 Defender (604) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

Just wanted to circle back to Upslope's German Pilsner. Has anybody seen this in the Denver metro?

39. Domingo

Society

I'll need to find a wealthy trading partner in Germany first :stuck_out_tongue: Shipping back and forth over there gets expensive in a hurry.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Justins123

Justins123 Initiate (18) Feb 7, 2016 Colorado

They have it at the Safeway on 6th and Downing, so I assume it's everywhere. Really tasty. Best by date of 9-1-20.