Favorite Colorado Lagers!

Discussion in 'US - West' started by ManBearPat, Jun 30, 2016.

1. travis224

travis224 (0) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Yeah, got it at my local beer store in the South Broadway area. Same best by date as mentioned above. Fresh and delicious. The loral hops are pretty interesting too.

bfields4 and Bitterbill like this.
  2. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe (351) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Society Trader

Mondo Vino has Upslope German Pilsner. I grabbed a six pack there yesterday.

bfields4 likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill (1,785) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Since there's an off shoot discussion regarding German beers, I ordered some
    Hofbräu Dunkel today from an online store.

Domingo, SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  4. Domingo

Domingo (1,294) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Hofbrau's dunkel is one of only a couple legit Munich-style dunkels we actually get over here. Spaten stopped exporting theirs and we don't get Pinkus anymore. I think it's just Ayinger, Hofbrau, and Weltenburger, now. Warsteiner and Beck's don't count. While they aren't bad, they're kinda their own thing. I don't really understand why the style isn't bigger. It's as drinkable as helles, but with chocolate and nutty notes tossed in. It's almost non-existent here and they're no longer super popular on the other side of the pond, either.

vurt, ManBearPat and Bitterbill like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Society

I can't wait to get it. How fresh have you seen it in Colorado?

6. Domingo

Society

I haven't seen it in a little while, but I used to have Lukas order cases of it for me. Those were the only way I felt comfortable buying it since it used to be in green bottles. Those cases used to be extremely fresh, though. Only about 6 weeks old.

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight (0) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

So wtf is going 9n with crooked stave? I had a von pilsner last night that was DMS heavy. Creamed corn all day. Mouthfeel was really creamy and slick. Had to wash it out of my mouth with some cold.

eppCOS, Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  8. Domingo

Society

I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I encountered some fresh Andechs bottles at Chambers this weekend. They're dated from February...which is about as good as small scale imports get.
    They had the hell/vollbier, weisse, and doppelbock. The freshness doesn't matter as much with the doppelbock, but I rarely buy the other two since they're usually old.

vurt, Bitterbill and SFACRKnight like this.
  9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard (0) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Dry Dock Maibock was damn good! So was the Franconian lager. Bierstadt helles always a go-to.

Schmittymack likes this.
  10. Schmittymack

Schmittymack (490) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Been hitting the Bierstadt Helles in my mixed sixers the past three I've purchased and it's mighty tasty. I'm just too damn lazy to head downtown to get Slow Pour Pils, too.

SFACRKnight and Bitterbill like this.
  11. Domingo

Society

Yeah, Bierstadt is a quite the haul for me. Drinking liters of beer isn't exactly "driver friendly" either. With none of the typical places I'd get helles from being open, I really appreciate those helles cans. They look/smell/taste just like the real stuff in Munich. Been a while since I've had slow pour, but I've heard it isn't quite as dry/sharp as it was. That speaks to me, so I'll probably grab some of that, too. I favor helles over pils 90% of the time, but there are some occasional exceptions.

Schmittymack and Bitterbill like this.
  12. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

Wouldn't pick up an entire six pack of Upslope German Pilsner without trying one first if I were you. I found it to be to be too sharp and dry. Almost brut pilsner.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

I was happy with the rest of my Slow Pours. As good as draft, no - but what pilsner is? I've just been spoiled with always having it fresh on tap.

denver10 and Bitterbill like this.
  14. Domingo

Society

Good to know. I don't buy many pilsners anyway. It's just not really my personal preference and most American examples lean on bolder flavors to begin with. Subtlety isn't really our thing. Hence there are probably more Tipopils clones than legit helles beers in the US. If I had to buy a pilsner off the shelf, I'd probably just snag Warsteiner. It suits my tastes and is usually pretty fresh.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. Bitterbill

Society

Heck, what happened to the Premium Verum that I used to drink?(pre BA days)

Edit: I see the Pilsner is more or less an alias of Verum. I wondered aboot that.

#1015 Bitterbill, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Domingo likes this.
  16. Bitterbill

Society

I picked up a 6pack of Mama's Little Yella today; first time I have seen it in a long time. Canned May 6th and I really like it.

ManBearPat likes this.
  17. Domingo

Society

Yup, same stuff. It's a pilsner, but the hop notes aren't super strong and I'd say it's a fairly round/balanced beer. That suits me perfectly. I've had week-old Warsteiner and it's never particularly hoppy. If anything, the fresher it is the more grain and malt character it has. Either way, I like it. I remember Warsteiner being one of the first German beers I enjoyed. I grew up with skunky old green-bottles of Beck's and Lowenbrau from the Winn-Dixie. Warteiner tasted like a way better better version of Miller High Life.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. Bitterbill

Society

I enjoyed a few 5L party cans of it. I wish, at least, that the bottles were back in town. Sigh.

19. Bitterbill

Society

The bottles I got are brown. Bottling date February 12th and...it's delicious!

Domingo likes this.
  20. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

If you're willing to venture to Bierstadt they have a new Dortmunder that was brewed in collaboration with Goldspot Brewing. I picked up a crowler today and it is a damn good brew: sweet and clean with a mild bitter finish. I'm not an exert on this style. I believe the only version I've had is Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, but it certainly aligns with the style guidlines that I've read.

Bitterbill and Domingo like this.
  21. Domingo

Society

Exports are interesting. People usually associate them with DAB/DUB or American takes on those two. Those are kinda like a strong pils with the hops dialed back a little. There aren't many of those left, but I guess they used to be super popular 50 years ago.
    Like with most things, I'm way more familiar with the ones brewed in Bavaria. They're basically a strong helles, and they're still pretty popular. Edelstoff is one of Munich's most beloved beers, and the favorite "value" beer in the region is Oettinger Export. My fave actually comes from Lowenbrau, which is a little unusual.
    I'll have to try the one from Bierstadt to see what direction they went in.

gyorgymarlowe and Bitterbill like this.
  22. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

23. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Elevation is great! They do big bodied, malty beers very well in my experience, so I would think this is a safe buy. I'll grab a 6er if I see it and will report back

24. ManBearPat

ManBearPat (661) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

They’re one of the more versatile and underrated breweries around imo

Literally haven’t had any less than good from them, with many being great or world class. Even their hoppy offerings are delicious..

25. Domingo

Society

I'm also in the Elevation camp. Never had anything bad from them before. They're one of the few places that hit (non-wild/sour) Belgians out of the park, too. Their brewery/facility/tasting-room is one of the most beautiful around.

26. Dtapeski

Dtapeski (295) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

Picked up a 6 of the Bitburger/Sierra Nevada triple hop’d lager and really like it. Good easy drinking summer beer with some body to it.

27. dauss

dauss (868) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado

Boulevard & Bierstadt Pilsner collab is dropping around town in 6-pack cans

28. considerbeer

considerbeer (192) Dec 15, 2016 California

It’s good, but Slow Pour cans exist right now, so what are we really doing here?

Schmittymack likes this.
  29. Schmittymack

Schmittymack (490) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

FINALLY got Slow Pour without having to carry my happy ass downtown to get it. It's not quite as good in cans as it is on draught...but...it's one DELICIOUS brew, for sure.

Bitterbill and gyorgymarlowe like this.
  30. Domingo

Society

Is it a different style of pils? Czech or maybe one of the less dry spins?

Bitterbill likes this.
  31. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

The beer is brewed by Boulevard in KC, other than that not sure. The only thing I could find was:

"We used a traditional recipe following a beer purity law that dates back to 1516."

32. dauss

dauss (868) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado

Won't hear any complaints from me about more Pils on the shelf.

It's a completely different brewhouse over there, but some of the things Boulevard did were trying to replicate what Bierstadt does. They did use the same malt, no flotation tank, but used an empty fermentor as a makeshift one. The hops were different and got way better efficiency they had expected, overshooting the gravity by a couple of points. Overall, it's maltier, even with the adjustments using deaerated water

33. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight (0) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Bierstadt keeping HSA down then?

34. gyorgymarlowe

Society Trader

My thoughts on the Boulevard/Bierstadt collab:

35. Domingo

Society

SN Summerfest is no joke. I haven't had this year's, but it has been one of America's best pilsners for a while. Especially considering how widespread it is. I used to think Summerfest and NG Edel Pils were the best two in America and only one of those is still around.
    A lot of American versions are too hoppy, too dry, or too husky. I guess Sierra Nevada employs (at at least did) a ton of Germans. Both long-term and as part of brewing training programs. That can't hurt.

36. FarmerTed

FarmerTed (0) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Upslope Pilsner is drinking really fine right now. I have to found any slopour, but Upslope is keeping me from feeling jealous.

eppCOS, Bitterbill and denver10 like this.
  37. denver10

denver10 (0) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Wish I liked Czech Pilsners more than I do, never could get into SN's Summerfest.

When I was over on Oskar Blues's site I noticed they have a Lager Series, Slow Chill, with a Helles Munich Lager and a Vienna Lager. Any good? Never got into Mama's Little Pils for reasons states above....maybe off topic but I am confused with their marketing; their website lists Mama's as a German Pilsner, their can lists it as a Bohemian Pilsner. Always tasted like a Bohemian Pilsner to me.

#1037 denver10, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    eppCOS and Bitterbill like this.
  38. considerbeer

considerbeer (192) Dec 15, 2016 California

The Slow Chill series is good. The Helles is very light and crisp, not particularly sweet in the middle.

They’ve tweaked Mama’s to be more German-style in nature over the last couple years. German malts, German-grown Saaz, and I think French Aramis hops. Dropped the ABV down a tad, too - it’s much less dense now. I think you’d like the changes if you haven’t had it in a couple/few years.

denver10 and Bitterbill like this.
  39. denver10

denver10 (0) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

German Style Pilsner is right up my alley, so maybe I should revisit alongside that Slow Chill Helles.

I think I am still confused as to why they would still use the Bohemian Pilsner label on the can.

eppCOS, clusterfolk and Bitterbill like this.
  40. Domingo

Society

Yella Pils does have pretty pronounced saaz character, which is a hallmark of Czech/Bohemian pilsners. It's otherwise way closer to the dry German kinds.
    It's a weird beer I have mixed feelings about. They keep changing it. The first time I had it was nearly 12 years ago and it was a super-rich Czech pils. No diacetyl, though. When they started canning it, they clearly decided to emulate Urquell and it definitely DID have pretty hefty diacetyl for 2-3 years. So much so that I grew to hate it. Then they changed it again to be closer to the original. That was my favorite version. Fast forward again and I think they even dropped the saaz (or blended it down) to favor something like hersbrucker or magnum. Not sure what they were using, but it was a German noble or a spin-off. Now it's somewhere in between and they've gone back to the saaz. Make no mistake - it's a good beer, but I just wish they'd make up their mind. Personally, I like the Czech versions that didn't have diacetyl. I dig the low bitterness and thicker texture. Plus, there just aren't many other beers like that out there.