Favorite Colorado Stouts & Porters?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by tylerstravis, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,261) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

Belgian Yeti was always my favorite one. River North Avarice and Shadow Master from Mountain Sun are pretty similar, luckily. For that matter, Black Albert isn't too tough to get and it's the granddaddy of that type of stout.

Chocolate Yeti is one of those that has changed a little here and there. It has cayenne each year, but the heat level varies. The years where it has some additional kick have been my favorite years.

Did they have an anniversary part last year? That's usually a go-to for me, but I don't recall hearing anything about one last summer.

2. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (342) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado

They did in July, but we've skipped it the past 2 years. We went the first time they had it at the Barrel Bar, and it was nice having the extra space, but it was still crammed pretty full of people. It sounded like they were selling more tickets in subsequent years so we didn't try real hard to go. Plus looking at the beer lists, there wasn't really anything that wasn't readily available anyway.

Not being a Belgian fan, that Belgian Yeti was by far my least favorite, until they stuck it into a Heaven Hill barrel for an Anniversary party, that was fantastic.
    Were you one of the people who bought a whole pallet of it when they flushed it out the door a couple years ago?

3. Domingo

I wasn't. I had a couple in my basement and both of those had aged in a direction I didn't like. That Belgian yeast starts throwing off vinous notes that remind me of cheap wine. I tried one of the GD fire sale bottles and they were roughly the same.
    That beer was the end of an era for them. It was one of the last seasonal bombers that they used to throw launch parties for. All-you-can-drink for $10-15 per person. Dunkelweiss, Grand Cru, Espresso Yeti, Hades, Wolfgang, etc. Like with Rumble and Samurai they're only just now going back to that. No clue how they're doing financially, but I've been buying way more GD stuff again.

rob2654 likes this.
  4. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (435) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Not sure if anyone sees it down here on the Front Range, but Storm Peak's Coffee Moos coffee milk stout is off the chain. Straight darkness, nice body, incredible coffee flavor... normally a 5.7% stout doesn't do shit for me, but this a great exception to that experience.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33665/161108/
    ^^^ this rating may be a touch inflated, but IMO its not far off. Great quality all around.

Overall, Storm Peak is a great brewery so if anyone is up in Steamboat/Routt County they should do themselves a favor and stop by their taproom or pick up some cans (of whatever is available) from anywhere you might see them.

tylerstravis likes this.
  5. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,024) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Crooked Stave's Coffee Baltic Porter is still my favorite shelfie.

6. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,024) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Has anyone seen this in the Denver area?

7. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (511) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Not sure about this specifically but I remember seeing something from them several months ago at Molly's.

I'll be up in three weeks to get more of it, as well as others. Ski season busted for me but keeping my reservation at The Village over my birthday.

tylerstravis likes this.
  8. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (342) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado

Small Batch has had special releases from Storm Peak before

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

They broke my heart when they gasped espresso yeti.

10. ManBearPat

Not CO, but my boi brought me a 6er of zonker stout from snake river.. still great as ever. So roasty.. dark as night.. just perfect.

This stuff would be an absolute staple in my fridge if they brought it a little south for ya boi... make sure you get some next time you cross the border!

Domingo, Bitterbill and tylerstravis like this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,352) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Avery Out of Mind is pretty tasty. Got a Howler of it today.

ManBearPat and Schmittymack like this.
  12. Domingo

Snake River used to distro in Denver. We got Zonker, Pale Ale, and Vienna Lager. The "problem" is that their bottles were VERY clearly freshness dated so that you couldn't miss it. They would regularly show up in stores after the dates had expired. Either that or they would be due to expire in a couple days. With Zonker, that's no biggie, but the other two were not good when they weren't fresh. I remember Davidson's getting a huge shipment of Vienna Lager 6-packs that were already a week past their prime. A few weeks later the whole display was like 75% off. I even wrote to the brewery about it, because I loved that Vienna. That kept happening for another couple months and the next thing you know they pulled distro from Denver.

13. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Champion (872) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Haven't seen mention of this beer, anyone try Left Hand 25th Anniversary? I hadn't seen it on shelves until last week, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been around. Tasty sipper on a cold night, right in Left Hand's wheelhouse. 12% but doesn't drink like 12%. Huge body

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  14. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Zealot (595) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

I made it over to Vine Street this weekend to partake in Stout Month. My two favorites were beers that they've had in the past but were new to me personally: Ludovico's Vanilla Cream Stout (love the Clockwork Orange reference) and Sovereign Star Stout. The Ludovico managed to convey quite a bit of vanilla sweetness without quite tipping over into the full-on pastry stout saccharine state. And the Sovereign Star had a good amount of "punch" but still maintained excellent balance and just begged for a second round.

Megatron was enjoyable as well, but you definitely should expect a very heavy dose of hops with that one. Think along the lines of an "imperial black IPA." 6 ounces was really all I needed on that one, and thankfully I drank it last as part of a flight since the hop level would probably overpower any beers that might have followed.

ManBearPat likes this.
  15. ManBearPat

I was dick pumping it a couple pages back... big fan here... squirreled away about 2 four packs to see how it develops

Bitterbill and Canada_Dan like this.
  16. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Champion (872) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Found your post along with Dan_K 's "really bitter and had some weird dark fruit character to it." Classic :wink:

Good comparison to Laika Boss, happens to be one of my favorite CO non-BA stouts. Big body = weak knees. I'll dick pump to that lol

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  17. dauss

dauss Zealot (582) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Industry

Comrade is tapping their American Stout today. Roasty and hoppy from 3 big additions of Simcoe

18. Domingo

Yay for hoppy stouts. The world needs more of them.

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,352) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Lol!

20. SFACRKnight

Trader

Do you know how happy I am to see it called an American stout and not black ipa?

21. ManBearPat

How can we be sure it wasn't a black IPA that morphed into an American stout?

22. dauss

dauss Zealot (582) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Industry

Black IPA was double dry-hopped. Stout has no dry-hops

tylerstravis likes this.
  23. SFACRKnight

Trader

I'm really just lamenting the term black ipa. Back in the day a hoppy dark beer was always called an American stout... then the IPA label got slapped on everything. :rolling_eyes: