1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Favorite English Dark Mild Ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cnote_crafty_1, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (238) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

I have had a few of these and interested in trying more of them.
    What is everybody's favorite right now?

2. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (470) May 9, 2007 Ohio

My homebrewed version. Sadly a style that I never see a commercial example of.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,902) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A Dark Mild that I enjoy drinking is Yards Brawler. When I can find it on cask it is an extra special treat.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

4. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (239) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Braxton Brewing 1957 All-Star Ale...baseball seasonal.

[​IMG]

Bitterbill, dcotom, PatrickCT and 4 others like this.
  5. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (567) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

FBarber and Premo88 like this.
  6. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (540) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Really want to try this. But sadly I'm just a state too far for Yards distro (NY), and only rarely travel to or through NJ and PA. :slight_frown:

mikeinportc and Premo88 like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Yards fairly recently opened a new, expanded brewery (Oct/Nov 2017). I was told by a Yards brewer that this larger brewery will permit them to better meet existing demand in their current distribution region but who knows, maybe NY will be possible in the near future?

Cheers!

8. SudsDoctor

Society

One can only hope. :rolling_eyes: Barring that, I'll have to find someplace in Jersey not too far off the Palisades Parkway on my way to Bear Mt. next month.

9. JackHorzempa

Society

A few years ago I did this in NY (Newburgh) to buy some Jack's Abby beers (before they became available to my area). I was returning from a ski trip to Lake Placid.

I was able to use the Places feature of BA to locate a beer store that had Jack's Abby beers in stock.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers!

mikeinportc, Premo88 and SudsDoctor like this.
  10. SudsDoctor

Society

Already found a Beverage Barn in Northvale NJ, just 5-10 minutes off the Palisades. Now I just have to hope they've got some come mid May and that it's reasonably fresh. Does Yards date their bottles?

TongoRad and Premo88 like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, Yards dates their beers.

Maybe you could call the Beverage Barn prior to your trip and inquire about the availability of Brawler. If they do not have it in stock maybe they would be willing to order it for you? I would suggest you contact them 1-2 weeks in advance just in case they need to order this beer for you.

Cheers!

P.S. I personally have not seen them yet but Brawler is now available in cans:

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/09/yards-adding-new-brawler-12oz-cans.html

meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and Premo88 like this.
  12. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,903) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

What part of PA are you in? Forest & Main brewpub in Ambler PA often have a Dark Mild, and usually cask conditioned and served via hand pump.

13. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,749) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

A second for Brawler. It's the only dark mild I've been able to try so far, but it instantly made me a fan of the style. I'd drink that beer by the case if it lived in my distribution area.

14. jmdrpi

Society

Do you use caramel/chocolate malt for the flavor, or dark brewing sugars? I've done the former, but have been told the latter is more traditional.

Premo88 and scottakelly like this.
  15. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (408) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Tired Hands A Long Silence was excellent. Their Warm & Supportive was also very good.

mkh012 and Premo88 like this.
  16. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Shop Rite Liquors in Northvale is also pretty good, and a bit closer to the Pkwy. I'm almost certain that they carry Yards, as well. It'll be worth giving them a call.

Premo88, SudsDoctor and JackHorzempa like this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (931) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

This is like asking what my favorite unicorn is in the US.

Right up there with my favorite UFO I've seen lately.

18. marquis

marquis Crusader (765) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Always,always dark sugars or caramel or both. Just not roasted grains because that creates a Porter.Sadly,many modern brewers do not know this :slight_frown:

Hard to believe that when I began beer drinking,Mild was the biggest seller. Now a decent Mild is hard to come by.
    Excellent ones are Moorhouse Black Cat, Elgoods Black Dog and Belvoir Dark Horse.

19. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, fortunately the OP lives in PA so not really a unicorn situation here.

Yards Brawler will be readily available at beer stores.

I have had Poor Yurick on cask (hand pump) several times at Forest & Main.

@TheEpeeist already mentioned the Tired Hands Dark Mild.

I have had a number of other Dark Mild beers at local brewpubs/brewery tasting rooms.

Needless to say that the Dark Mild is not as popular as IPAs but not exactly a unicorn in SEPA.

Cheers!

FBarber, hopsputin and Premo88 like this.
  20. jmdrpi

Society

Tired Hands also had one back in the fall brewed with black currants called Unlook Back, that was pretty good. But locally I would give the nod to F&M for the British style cask beers.

Premo88 likes this.
  21. jmdrpi

Society

Do you know when the Yards Real Ale Invitational event is this year? The last few years I've wanted to go but always had a scheduling conflict.

TongoRad and Premo88 like this.
  22. SudsDoctor

Society

Cool. Always nice to have a backup plan. :grin:

Premo88 likes this.
  23. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (470) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I have done it both ways. Both make a good beer but I prefer brewing sugars.

jmdrpi, AlcahueteJ, patto1ro and 2 others like this.
  24. ingchr1

ingchr1 Initiate (142) Jun 4, 2008 New York

When I'm going though Jersey I usually stop at Bottle King on RT17 in Ramsey to pickup some Brawler.

TongoRad, SudsDoctor and Premo88 like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

Yup, read below:

“I was speaking to a Yards brewer yesterday at the Philly German beer festival (Bierfest) and he informed me that it will be occurring again this year: May 20th.”

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...-more-british-ales.560492/page-4#post-5897007

Cheers!

mikeinportc, jmdrpi and Premo88 like this.
  26. SudsDoctor

Society

Excellent, thanks! That would work even better as I'll be staying one night just up 17 in Mahwah. Wouldn't have to alter my itinerary (delay arrival at Bear Mt. that morning) like I would in order to be at the Northvale spots when they opened at 9am.

#26 SudsDoctor, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    ingchr1 and TongoRad like this.
  27. TongoRad

Society Trader

Then you should also consider Total Wine in River Edge, right off of Rt 4 on the way to Rt 17. They also regularly carry Brawler. Plus other goodies, too :slight_smile:.

SudsDoctor likes this.
  28. SudsDoctor

Society

Thanks, but I'd be coming south on 17 from NY (via Harriman State Park), so the Ramsey Bottle King would be closer to my hotel. Will keep it mind though in case BK is out or has old stock.

TongoRad likes this.
  29. TongoRad

Society Trader

Okay, gotcha now. Somehow I pictured you heading north from NYC. That Bottle King will be your best bet, then.

30. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (498) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Little London from Pikes Peak brewing is really good. Very tiny distribution footprint.

31. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (573) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I have very little experience with this style but Notch Brewing here in MA made me a believer. Hopefully they'll can it one of these days and perhaps Yards might make a move up into New England at some point.

Magic Hat did one as a collaboration with the DropKick Murphy's recently (Bar Room Hero) and while it was not unpleasant to drink it didn't make me want to buy another 4 pack.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  32. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (410) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Rudgate Dark Ruby mild on cask all over Yorkshire. If u ever have a chance to take a train from London to EDI — stop in York - walk to the York Tap in the train station and behold the 12 or 15 beers on handpull — usually at least a mild or two. Bottled Milds can’t hold and candle to Cask versions IMO — the style just begs low/natural carb and celler temp.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,430) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Moorhouse Black Cat, which ain't imported anymore, I'm guessing. Tooths Old which I will never see again.

34. scream

scream Crusader (760) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I wish there were examples from England available.

35. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW I personally have stopped buying beers imported from Britain since they have consistently been old on my retailers shelves. A well brewed beer that is 6+ months old is not a joy to drink.

Every year I homebrew a Bitter Ale using all English ingredients (e.g., Maris Otter Pale Malt, English Crystal Malt, East Kent Goldings hops, West Yorkshire Ale yeast).

Maybe homebrewing is in your future?

Cheers!

36. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (530) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Had a cracking pint of Elgoods Black Dog in Wisbech a couple of weeks back. Lovely stuff.

37. marquis

marquis Crusader (765) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

To be honest, in my opinion it is the best beer they brew, perhaps I shall see some round here next month.

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. jae

jae Aspirant (209) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Machine House in Seattle makes a perfect Mild - and usually puts it on cask.

sharpski likes this.
  39. jmdrpi

Society

Forest & Main made an appropriate Instagram post today:

AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  40. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,197) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

A new brewery is making making a loud name for themselves in my area due to their use of hops. Personally, I think their sours, milk stout, and English Dark Mild are some of the best in the city as well. The English Mild is brewed with coffee, so not a strict rendition of the style, but it is delightful.

Should they do a to-go release of that English Dark Mild, I may actually wait in a line to get some. It packed a lot of balanced flavor into a sub 4% pint.

The beer is BKS's Rockhill & Locust for those curious.