Favorite English Dark Mild Ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cnote_crafty_1, Apr 2, 2018.

1. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (151) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Even if it meant not getting buzzed?

2. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (667) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Society

Yes, but not quite as, erm, fun?

Truth be told, I am a believer in the value of presence of mind. I practice meditation daily, and I have been for years. And it is one of the most important things I do in the day--sometimes 2X/day.

Further, I also realize imbibing alcohol LOWERS my ability to be completely present. *shrugs*

Yet, it not an EITHER/OR situation for me. It is BOTH/AND: How can I BOTH consume alcohol AND remain present enough: i.e. drink in moderation. Yes, the buzz is part of it, but so is the involvement in a kind of ritual that has been practiced for thousands of years, one that connects me with other adherents. It's very difficult to separate the two: the buzz and the enjoyment of the craft--including the socialization part. It is a very interesting topic, and I could write more, but I'll leave it at that for now. :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ and thesherrybomber like this.
  3. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (218) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

The buzz has essentially nothing to do with it for me. I like the flavor of beer.

If I could find good non alcoholic beer that tasted and felt like regular beer then that's all I'd drink.

In the last couple of years home brewing I have been working on getting full flavored beers lower and lower alcohol. Almost every beer I make is around 3% ABV.

DonObiWan, Ranbot, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  4. HopsAreDaMan

Society

I don't normally do this, but your question got me to thinking, and I thought I would give another response to your question. :slight_smile:

Without going too deep, or getting too personal, I thought of one of the many reasons I drink beer. It's because of my father.

My father was a good man--and still is. He drank beer just about every evening. Did he overdo it? Sometimes, but very rarely. To my knowledge, he never drank anything else. When I was in high school--perhaps my senior year?--he allowed me to have a beer or two in the house as long as I was NOT driving somewhere later. I personally believe this took away some of the mysticism of drinking alcohol (the attractiveness of the 'forbidden fruit', if you will), and so I was less likely to overdo it, or hide my drinking from him.

To this day, I remember the first time I sat down at a bar and had a beer with my father (not long after turning 21). It was, in a way, a kind of rite of passage--although, I don't mean to imply it is necessary for all men, and there are CLEARLY more meaningful and impactful rites of passage.

When I have a beer with someone else, I would like to think there is some subtle and unconscious element of that rite that I am joyfully reliving.

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I think the experience like the one I had with my father is the essence of what the word, 'Cheers!" means. :sunglasses:

Roybert, Ranbot, horsehockey and 6 others like this.
  5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,926) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

That post is from a year ago ... so I don't think he's back ... :confused:

6. HopsAreDaMan

Society

Oh. I guess I read the year incorrectly. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I am a bit daft at times. :grimacing:

As often as I disagreed with his position or his approach to humor, I personally appreciated his presence out here. And I would welcome his return.

Ranbot and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,118) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

No problem!

Oh no, I LOVE the style, I just can't find it around here very often.

I had one at NERAX this past Saturday on cask though...so that was nice.

I've been doing it for years too. I learned how at a six week course run at Mass General here in Boston, a very scientific approach to meditation.

https://www.bensonhenryinstitute.org/

Maybe we should change his name to "EvenLessJesus"?

8. horsehockey

horsehockey Aspirant (204) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

Sounds like your best bet is finding a local brewery that does that style. In St. louis I've heard that Civil Live does a good English dark Mild. I had one from Maplewood Brewing a few months ago that was outstanding. I've never seen a packaged Dark mild.

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  9. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (426) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Great Heck from England had a tasty one (Voodoo Mild) on cask at the NERAX festival this weekend.

It would seem to speak to the rarity of the style that even at NERAX you're lucky to have 1 or 2 of them available during a session. Remnant Brewing (Cambridge) had a low alcohol porter there too that I thought trended a bit towards a dark mild profile but that was otherwise it.

#129 meefmoff, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

I forgot to take a picture of the VooDoo Mild for this thread. It was good.

Unfortunately when I went to get a second pour a cask of Hill Farmstead went on...not sure which was more rare....

I’ve had Yub Nub on tap at Remnant. I don’t remember it being like a Dark Mild, but I’d have to have it again. I also didn’t have it on cask (I don’t think anyways).

I’ve also had the style locally from Notch, CBC, Bone Up, and Winter Hill...so you CAN find them.

meefmoff likes this.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (426) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

It's possible I was just lulled a bit into interpreting it that way simply because of having them back to back and both being on cask, but it felt to me at the time like it wasn't very roasty and had some of that toffee/sweet character I associate with dark milds. Don't take it to the bank either way :slight_smile:

And too funny - I had a somewhat opposite experience with the Hill Farmstead pale. I went for the mild first because it was the only one there and I didn't want to miss it. Before I could finish it and go back for the HF the old Reaper had come out and taken it off the board. Boooo!!!!

ETA: I've had Notch's (Vincent, I believe?) - they're the ones who actually put the style on the map for me. Last year at Nerax there was a great version from a little brewery in Braintree who's name I've since forgotten too. But other than Notch I never seem to bump into them in the wild unfortunately. Good to know about Bone Up and it certainly makes sense that CBC has tried their hand.

#131 meefmoff, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

You could be right, I wasn't really paying too much attention to it when I was drinking it (kind of the point of a sessionable beer right?).

Oh see I think that VooDoo Mild was the very first beer I had. Dark Mild's on cask from the UK are too rare to pass up.

Bone Up's isn't too shabby. Winter Hill's was downright awful...in fact I had about a 10 oz. pour at the brewery just to try it, and then just decided to go home. Of course it might have just been a cask that had turned (or was improperly taken care of in the first place).

CBC's was quite good if I remember correctly, because I believe I had it more than once. It actually made it out into the wild at multiple bars in Davis Square. "A letter to Jimmy Page".

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14/284603/

meefmoff likes this.
  13. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (535) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Since I posted a little over a year ago, Lion Bridge Brewing (Cedar Rapids, IA) brought in a canning line and is now distributing to stores in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area. Compensation is an English dark mild and a double gold medal winner (2014 & 2016) at the GABF. To my knowledge, this is the first English mild of any kind to show up in these parts.

Apropos of nothing, I love these can designs. Classic and very attractive.

[​IMG]

15. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (74) May 18, 2017 England

To be honest, it's a long time since I had H&H - even when I was in Nottingham we used to avoid their pubs if there was a better option (and there was usually a better option...)

16. AlcahueteJ

Damn, wish I had something like that around here.

dcotom likes this.
  17. FBarber

Society Trader

Have you had the cans? I got the dark mild and Bridge Beer when they first came out and they ... well ... something was wrong with them. Haven't picked them back up again. If they've ironed out the kinks, Ill grab Compensation next month when I'm in the QC.

dcotom likes this.
  18. sjjn

sjjn Zealot (558) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Society

If you’re ever in Los Angeles, head to MacLeod in Van Nuys and Yorkshire Square Brewing in Torrance for Dark milds, bitters, 60 shillings, etc. Amazing work by both breweries.

dirkchivers and dcotom like this.
  19. sjjn

sjjn Zealot (558) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Society

Also if you can find one. Three's Brewing and Burial Beer did a recent collab.

[​IMG]

ecpho and zid like this.
  20. patto1ro

I never liked H & H Mild. Growing up in Nottinghamshire, I came across it often enough. I much preferred Shipstone's Mild.

21. zid

zid Meyvn (1,354) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yep. Backways. It’s around on draft but I’ve only seen cans at the brewery.

[​IMG]

sjjn, FBarber and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

Did you pour that in a rocks glass?

zid and FBarber like this.
  23. zid

zid Meyvn (1,354) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I have (or unfortunately in some cases had) the usual hodgepodge assortment of beer glasses... and I tend to use them if I'm feeling a bit ceremonial. But my default is usually the standard water glasses in my kitchen if I'm feeling unceremonial. I just downed a Coke & Averna out of one. I like high and low art. :neutral_face:

24. marquis

marquis Crusader (792) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Still being brewed in Basford.

25. patto1ro

What, the Shippo's Mild?

26. marquis

Yes. Have a look at www.shipstones.com, the beers section is interesting.

27. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (312) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Ivory Bill English Dark Mild brewed in Siloam Springs, Arkansas.

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,249) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I had Yards Brawler on cask at the Yards Real Ale beer festival yesterday. That beer was/is my favorite English Dark Mild!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

FBarber likes this.
  29. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,279) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

"It is suprisingly* light and totally moreish."
    Nice.

*Copied direct from the web site -- the language is even faltering in its homeland. :frowning2:

30. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (218) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

And look. Their Mild and Nut Brown Ale both use roasted chocolate malt and they mention malts but no sugars. Are these ales or porter's?

31. marquis

II spoke to the owner many years ago and he began to talk about #3 and #4 brewing sugars,very dark stuff. He also talked about the amount of Epsom Salt used in the mash.Perhaps the laxative reputation that Shipstones once had-"if it doesn't go through you in 24 hours ,you're a corpse "

FBarber likes this.
  32. travis224

travis224 Initiate (178) Jul 24, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Do they have this on frequently at South Dock? I've been going there for the last 8 months or so fairly regularly and haven't seen it, but maybe I just missed it. Excited to try it--I love their ESB, which was a style I've never really been into, but they turned me around.

#152 travis224, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  33. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,552) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I just had Drift by First Magnitude (2018 GABF Gold winner). Very disappointed, not so much that it was a bad beer per say, just not an English Dark Mild. Its an American Brown Ale....ashy/roasty and lots of bittering hop profile...just a so/so beer overall. Not English Mild IMO. I can't recommend this one. Not quite sure what the GABF tasting experts were thinking here.

AlcahueteJ and thesherrybomber like this.
  34. KS_Augsburg

KS_Augsburg Initiate (186) Jul 29, 2018 Illinois
    Society Trader

The Lions Bridge Brewing Workman's Compensation was an absolute surprise to me the other day. Had it on draft at Centro in Des Moines IA (the brewery is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa). The stunning aspect of this beer is: while relatively low in ABV, it is very full in flavor, with just a little sweetness, but also robust malt. Very nice foamy head (not always the case in lighter dark beers), subtle notes of chocolate, but very light.

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  35. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (58) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

I studied abroad in Nottingham for a year a few decades ago, and fell in love with Mild as a style, even though the other students always called it an "old man's beer". Oddly enough, the best version I think I have had in the past decade was from a Dutch Brewery a few years back: "Kees London Mild Ale". Leaving aside the baffling reference to London, it was a glorious beer. I've been looking for it again ever since.

AlcahueteJ, JackHorzempa and zid like this.
  36. RedEcho

RedEcho Initiate (62) Oct 23, 2012 Massachusetts

Medusa Brewing (Hudson, MA)
    "Sir Terry" Dark Mild.

No bottles or cans so not exactly primed for export - but it is a frequent guest on their tap list if you were outside Boston and wanted something outside the Trillium-TreeHouse run. It is often a low fizz, malt heavy, mahogany colored magnificent beast of a low (comparatively) abv beer.

AlcahueteJ and meefmoff like this.
  37. f8met

f8met Initiate (61) Jun 27, 2014 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

I used to like Batemans mild but like everything they changed the recipe as they did with the Salem Porter. I had a GK XX mild a couple of weeks ago which is still a rare beer but a permanent fixture in the Free Press in Cambridge. Elgoods black dog is also pretty good but the 6.5% double dog was super.

38. scream

scream Meyvn (1,214) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

There is a lot of talk here about U.S. dark mild style ales. Anything on true English examples that are available in the states ?

thesherrybomber likes this.
  39. FBarber

Society Trader

Do you mean imports?

40. scream

scream Meyvn (1,214) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I guess yes. I mean not just the style but also the origin, English beers are hard to come by here in the U.S. these days.