Favorite food to bring to favorite taproom

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

The demise of Paseo got me thinking about what I might replace my Cuban and Interurban pairings. I'm already a big fan of eating Pacific Inn fish and chips and drinking Fremont beers, so I'm not dead in the water by any stretch. But it has got me thinking...

What is your favorite food to bring to your favorite PNW taproom that allows outside food? Give the food item, where it's from, and what taproom/brewery.

Maybe we can stockpile a list for ourselves and our many curious visitors.

***Mods: Please do not move this to the Beer & Food forum. I want this PNW-centric.***

2. dirtylou

dirtylou May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

Perhaps this is a good place for me to pose a question I've always wondered...why doesn't Fremont play the food truck game?

3. BuckeyeOne

I've never asked @Texwild or any of this staff but I would venture to guess that (1) they've never really had a parking lot or street parking conducive to a parked truck and (2) there are numerous eateries within easy walking distance --- support to other Fremont small businesses, perhaps?

4. dirtylou

Society Trader

aint no smaller business than a food truck :slight_smile:

If Reubens can fit a truck, they can fit a truck, so I assume guess #2 is more likely. With Paseo/Dot's closing, the list of small businesses to support and bring to the brewery is low. I tried this on Friday with some dumplings from Pel'meni. Yeah - that's not going to cut it.

5. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Not to get all "Fremont vs. Black Raven" again, but having a pizza guy wandering through BR to deliver you your pizza is (was? Most of my BR memories are from before they had a food truck schedule) amusing.

Most Bend breweries are brewpubs too, so BYO is rare. We have a food cart pod with 8 or so taps, though, so it's kinda similar? I'll go with Thailandia's Pad Thai and a DM Vaporizer.

6. anteater

anteater Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

Bailey's/Santeria
    Apex/Los Gorditos

All day.

7. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

I like Cedo's / Tin Bucket too. I always feel happier w/ myself after falafel/gyro wrap than after big-as-baby burritto.

Reino likes this.
  8. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Man, losing Paseo is absolutely heart rending. The news of them closing was the worst thing I've heard in a while. I'm curious @BuckeyeOne, have you tried the sandwiches at Bongo's? They're not Paseo of course but very similar and flat out delicious in their own right. Depending on your route they may be on the way to Fremont Brewing.

I'd have to say my favorite combo might be, as someone already mentioned, Flying Saucer Pizza at Black Raven. It's so good that the girlfriend is usually convinced that we should make the jaunt over to Black Raven just by mentioning that pizza.

9. BuckeyeOne

I have not tried Bongo's but have been told it's good. I really like the sandwiches, etc. at Mojito. Both Bongo's and Mojito are close since I live in Maple Leaf.

10. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Mojito does sandwiches? I had no clue. Thanks!

11. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Trader Joes here in Bham is just a block away from Kulshan, and I usually grab cheese and crackers that I share with friends and staff. They have rotating food trucks parked on site. The pizza and sandwiches from Coconut Kenny's are popular there too, although I are not impressed with them.

Wander doesn't really have any "nearby"restaurants, so it's generally whichever food truck is there, or snacks.

12. BuckeyeOne

13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, if they had room to put up that tent where the food was for the party for the opening of the new tap room, they have to park a food truck there.

14. BuckeyeOne

There are tables there. On Fridays and Saturdays, that space is filled with people, even on rainy days.

15. psychgawsple

psychgawsple Dec 5, 2010 Oregon

Cedo's is great, though I've never brought their falafel or gyros to TB. My personal jam is TB + Life of Pie (TERRIBLE name but delicious pizza and affordable HH specials)

16. dirtylou

Society Trader

What about Streetzeria - that bro has a compact operation.

Also, when can we expect a collaboration coffee beer with Millstead & Co.?

17. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

an idea to resolve the paseo shutdown:
    1. start a crowdsourcing campaign for a cuban sandwich food truck. promise a "reserve society" sandwich club.
    2. hire former paseo chefs. pay them a legal wage and give them breaks.
    3. set up in front of or nearby fremont brewing.
    4. stop sleeping on your regular mattress and sleep on your newly acquired pile of cash.

18. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Oct 22, 2010 Oregon

Creamy funky cheese like a double cream bleu cheese goes great on wheat thins with a good hoppy beer, yuuuum

psychgawsple likes this.
  19. BuckeyeOne

I think you missed something: "What is your favorite food to bring to your favorite PNW taproom that allows outside food? Give the food item, where it's from, and what taproom/brewery."

20. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

After taking my daughter to the zoo, we often stop and pick up Dicks before heading to Fremont.

Good times.

21. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

woemad likes this.
  22. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Oct 22, 2010 Oregon

nope, just stating a fact. If the brewery allows bring-in food, bring this!!

23. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Not entirely relevant, since this seems geared toward Seattleites and Cuban sandwiches (which I don't think are regularly available in my neck of the woods), but I go with burritos, usually. They might be the perfect food for such situations: They don't take up much counter space, can be eaten standing if neccessary, don't normally require cutlery, and clean-up isn't much of an issue.

Usually it's the Atilano's Burrito from Atilano's, and I have been know to consume them at River City, Iron Goat and Ramblin' Road. Sometimes, Jerk Chicken from the Jamaican food truck in Browne's Addition happens as well, but that needs more money and the ability to actually sit down.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  24. BuckeyeOne

This is totally relevant. I didn't intend for this thread to be Seattle-centric or Cuban sandwich-centric. I only wanted it to be PNW-centic and your post fit the bill.

25. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I've been meaning to check that place out. I'm kind of a late-bloomer where Vietnamese and Thai cuisine are concerned. A mild peanut allergy makes me nervous in such places! I've never had a Bahn Mi (?) but I've heard they pack a ridiculous amount of flavor for not much outlay.

26. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

$3 a sandwich after tax is a steal. The rolls are imported from Seattle, they're good. Not much meat, mostly marinaded vegetables but plenty tasty. It's become a tradition for me whenever I'm coming to Spokane.
    The place is a bit seedy and in "that" part of town.

All RR's brews are $5 now. Makes the lighter bodied offerings less attractive...

checktherhyme and woemad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.