Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Germany Favorite German breweries outside of Bavaria

Discussion in 'Europe' started by whatsgoody, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Hmmm. I'm sorry I can't remember the price, but I'm pretty sure those were the beers that were included. This was six months ago at this point. I imagine it wasn't too much (probably between 6 and 8 Euro?), I picked it up at a local grocery store in the Berlin Mitte district.

Crusader likes this.
  2. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Neuzeller Porter is another which is disgustingly sweet. Klosterbrauerei Neuzelle fought a famous court case against the Reinheitsgebot to be allowed to sell their artificially-sweetened drinks as beer.

I think this brewery’s products are an excellent advertisement for keeping the Reinheitsgebot. ;)

danfue and Gutes_Bier like this.
  3. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

That line made my day, hahaha.

4. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

Schlappeseppel (Großostheim) - as boddhitree said, it's technically in Bavaria, but kind of more like in Hesse. Together with Schmucker, it's my regional brewery of choice.

Glaab's Bräu (Seligenstadt) - just round the corner from Schlappeseppel and across the border. An old family run brewery. Two or three types used to be available at Real (big supermarket), but I haven't seen it for a while now.

Ratsherrn (Hamburg) - just stumbled upon this at bierzwerg.de. Newly found craft-brewery in Hamburg's cool Schanzenviertel. They reactivated the old Ratsherrn brand that was abandoned some years ago when Holsten and König Pilsener merged. Tasted the three beers that are available and they're great. The Pils could still be improved, the IPA and especially the Red Beer were really convincing.

Flensburger - might be a mass market beer, but maybe it's the best of them. I especially enjoy their other types. They recently had a "Edles Helles Jubiläumsbier" to mark their 125th anniversary. Much better than many standard Bavarian Helle. Also, their Weizen (nice salty taste) and Dunkel are very nice.

For Altbier, Schlüssel is my favorite. For Kölsch, Mühlen and Sünner.

But you always find out about new breweries. Most just distribute locally. I've recently been to a beer tasting all about beers from Hesse. Hofbrauhaus Arolsen was among them with a nice fresh and hoppy Pils and a sweetish, nicely brown Dark Lager.

5. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Feb 4, 2003 California

To cause, trouble I'd say may favorite non-Bavarian German brewery is Spezial in Bamberg. Frei, statt Bayern :)

If you won't take that one, my favorite Franconian brewery not currently in Bavaria is Gold-Schenbrauerei in Spielbach. Administratively in B-W but historically and culturally very Franconian.

Stahlsturm and Gutes_Bier like this.
  6. FrankenBier

Last summer on my bike ride (Dunkirk to Vienna) we overnighted in Seligenstadt and spent the evening at Glaabrsbäu. It was one of the most enjoyable evenings on that part of the trip -- we had pretty much had no good beer since leaving Köln (with the exception of Goldener Engel in Ingelheim) and a Glaab's we said "this is why we are doing this crazy thing" :)

(Note: I am not saying there is no decent beer along the Rhine and Main between Köln and Seligenstadt -- just not much available on the bike path or in the towns where we stopped)

7. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Do youmean Gold-Ochsenbrauerei? If so, I used to get their helles at a small Imbiss in Rothenburg. It was sometimes real good, sometimes metallic-tasting. Could have been their lines, though... Imbiss is closed now, so.... Prosit!!

8. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Just noticed this thread, and while I'm basing this entirely only bottled exports - I think Pinkus Mueller is definitely producing beers of the same or similar quality to the ones in Bavaria. Their dunkel is actually better than a few Bavarian ones I've had, although I don't think it's being exported any longer per the Merchant Du Vin website.

I hope to eventually try some Rothaus beers to compare as well.

9. Beric

Beric Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Incidentally there weren't many Bavarian beers available at the closest EDEKA from my apartment when I was studying in Freiburg, so I got to taste a bunch from BW instead. :)

So I would say Rothaus and Alpirsbacher are the best non-Bavarian beers I've had. I would kill for a sixpack of Tannenzaepfle back here in the States.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  10. einhorn

einhorn Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

From what I know from inside sources, Tannenzaepfle should be coming to the US in 2013.

Beric, JackHorzempa and steveh like this.
  11. FrankenBier

Sorry, Damn autocorrect on my phone. Yes Gold-Ochsenbrauerei. Was marvelous whenever I had it, but variation is part of "craft" beer -- if I wanted absolute consistency I'd be drinking factory beer :)

12. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Yaay!

Oh, but probably everywhere but my area. ;)

(thank goodness for the Dairy State just minutes away! :D)

13. Beric

Beer Trader

Oh man, this makes me so excited.

14. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

Well, don't expect too many good breweries when you're traveling through wine country. ;)

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  15. foles

foles Jan 28, 2007 Australia

Brauerei Weisenmuehle in Fulda (Convenient stop for the night when flying out of Frankfurt).
    Pinkus Mueller.
    Have fond memories of Stuttgarter Hofbrau pils.
    About 4 breweries in Dusseldorf......

16. TreinJan

TreinJan Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

That would be Wiesenmühle, I suppose?

17. foles

foles Jan 28, 2007 Australia

ue = umlaut ü right ?
    ie, woops!

18. Beric

Beer Trader

No you're right, for those of us without umlaut characters, you can change them to letter + e (ae, ue, and oe). If you need to type the Eszett, just type 'ss'.

Or check out some of the windows alt codes to be able to type them from a regular keyboard (doesn't work with most laptop keyboards): http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

19. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Radeberger Exportbierbrauerei

20. Dirty25

Dirty25 Jan 22, 2012 Germany

I picked up a few of these when they were at the local Globus for 4€ each I think. I didn't hate the porter, all the other beers were amazing. Their Kellerbier was incredible and the rogenweizen was fantastic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe