Favorite non craft beer to drink.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by porters4life, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,217) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Stella Artois or Guinness. Stella is actually a decent beer if it's not skunked. Drink it on draft or buy it in cans.

Gemini6 likes this.
  2. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (191) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Guinness or Does Equis Amber would be my go to non-craft options. I don't really hit up venues where my only options are AALs, and while I'd reach for an AAL at a party or something without shame I don't really have a go to in that situation.

I'd probably only bring an AAL to a party if specifically requested to do so and in that case I'd ask for preference. Which is not to say if I was hitting up a place I expected a lot of non-craft drinkers I'd insist on bringing SN Torpedo but I'd go Euro Pale Lager rather than AAL.

Tripel_Threat and Scott17Taylor like this.
  3. ianous

ianous Initiate (79) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut

Guinness.

4. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (132) May 28, 2008 Florida

Yeungling, no contest. It's available at most of the non-craft places I frequent, and it's a good brew.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  5. Cthulhusquid

Cthulhusquid Zealot (528) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

DAB, Bitburger, Pilsner Urquell

6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,801) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Oh come on, there's nothing wrong with a macro beer from time to time.

So burnout brown from fire trucker? I agree and am sort of in the same place, but I refuse to pay craft prices for mediocre beer. I'll give it one try and if I don't feel it's worth the money I don't buy it again.

Gemini6 likes this.
  7. Scott17Taylor

Society Trader

I often bring boulevard wheat to parties with non craft drinkers now that it's in cans. It's not much more expensive and a lot of aal drinkers tend to really enjoy it.

Dravin likes this.
  8. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Disciple (393) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Gotta go with PBR........

VABA likes this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,426) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Leinenkugel Big Eddy RIS is excellent, even though I grew up in a nearby town and due to high-school rivalries, had to swear off Leinies.

10. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Assuming the OP meant favorite AAL, I've got to give a three-way tie to Schlitz, Narragansett, and Coors Banquet; in all honesty, I think they're actually good beers (considering style). I'll also gladly drink PBR, Old Style, and Miller High Life if nothing else is available. Standard Bud and Miller are pretty unpalatable to me, and all the light and "ice" beers are completely undrinkable. Rolling Rock may be the worst (so much creamed corn).

I'm actually doing a blind AAL tasting soon (the follow-up to my Maerzen tasting), so I'll see if these opinions remain consistent when no brand bias plays a role.

11. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (236) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Heineken or Modelo Especial

Guinness if I'm at a bar (not a huge fan otherwise, but I really just don't like nitro unless it's on tap)

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  12. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (191) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Thanks for the suggestion.

13. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (782) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

Actually that is the one I was thinking of. But most Iowa browns (or browns in general) are kinda that way.

I agree on your second point on Boulevard. I wasn't sure if that was "craft" or not anymore, but that's a good mention for this thread.

14. Scott17Taylor

Society Trader

It's craft, I was replying to somebody who was talking about party beers and not wanting to bring torpedo. It's entry level craft that most non craft drinkers like.

15. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,163) Apr 21, 2014 Canada
    Trader

It is getting pretty hard to find myself in a situation where there is nothing but AAL available. Any pub/resto/bar I have been to in the past 5 years has at the very least some boring "big" craft or passable euro lager or Anglo/Irish stuff on tap. Even friends who don't like "craft" all nowadays drink some type of euro lager or local big pseudo-craft beer.

I see people buying AAL by the case all the time but just don't seem to know any of them.

All that said, I suppose I would go with something from my youth if they are still brewed: O'Keefe, Dow, Laurentide or some other secondary Molson or Labatt product.

16. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (169) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Cold 40oz of Colt 45

17. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (245) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Modelo w/ a lime, High Life & Coors Banquet; I don't mid the occasional Budweiser, but I would much rather drink the former.

18. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Zealot (573) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I don't consider Sam Adams a craft brewer, they can be had just about anyplace you go in the USA. Their Boston Lager would work in a pinch. Negra Modelo also works for me.

19. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (783) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

I look forward to the Negra Modelo I'll have when I'm at a Mexican food place

20. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (183) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Miller Lite, Michelob Ultra and the lime version. if at a restaurant I drink the beer that matches the food. Mexican beer, Chinese beer, Italian beer or wine, etc., etc.

21. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Disciple (302) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I really enjoyed Grapefruit Shandy out of a can last summer. High Life ONLY out of a bottle and of course, Coors Banquet

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  22. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

You should reconsider. One of the first craft brewers, east coast anyway. It is about ingredients, not size of the brewery.

23. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,265) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

This is too easy - you've gotta move.

I'm kidding.

Sorta.

24. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Founders and GI mainly.

25. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,081) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

My order:
    High Life
    Coors Banquet
    Narangansett Lager
    Lots of others hit the spot as well if really cold, and the weather is really hot.

Sadly, most local/macro bars don't have those 3 options.

26. rronin

rronin Initiate (179) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I don't often drink non-craft beer, but when I do I prefer Dos Equis Amber....

ljdrinksbeer, Coronaeus and Trull like this.
  27. Trull

Trull Aspirant (271) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

On occasion I'll have a Guinness, and I've been known to have a corona from time to time at the beach or beside the pool!

28. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,597) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Guinness- I argue that some of their beers can stand up against some of the popular craft breweries. (Conversely, some really suck) They deserve more attention from all these beer snobs.

Offerings from Pabst that's not Blue Ribbon (never cared for that beer to be honest, and I like a well made light lagers.) Old Tankard sticks out from these guys.

Coors Batch 19. I could totally down a sixer of this, one of the few easily obtainable examples of a pre-Prohibtitiion lager

Yuengling- While I won't buy any, I certainly won't complain if it's the only non-macro beer on tap. It's also the choice beer among my closest group of friends and reminds me of my beer slamming days.

Negra Modelo- An easy to find decent quality Vienna lager? Why yes

29. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (187) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Red Dog, Busch, Milwaukee's Best, Toilet water.Not necessarily in that order.

30. ChairmanMeow

ChairmanMeow Initiate (64) Apr 18, 2015 Michigan

PBR now, Strohs sometimes. I generally go a few years with something, then change it up. Was Labatt for a while.

31. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (473) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Honestly just won't drink if I can't drink somthing I like.

32. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Disciple (340) Feb 13, 2015 Canada
    Trader

Guinness and Hoegaarden

KBlodorn likes this.
  33. Selby56

Selby56 Initiate (69) Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

Hamm's when I was living in Ohio and Michigan. PBR now that I live in Tennessee.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  34. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Disciple (345) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I'm not gonna lie, 40oz Old English or Dos XX Amber.

tzieser likes this.
  35. j111

j111 Initiate (45) Jan 20, 2016 Canada
    Deactivated

Sapporo

36. pro100

pro100 Initiate (113) Oct 12, 2014 California

Guinness, Amstel Light, maybe Stella

37. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (351) Apr 29, 2012 California

Miller Lite all day...

Or High Life (Light).

38. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (450) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Basically anything Mexican, though Negra Modelo in particular is a favorite of mine (I order it nearly every time I'm at a Mexican restaurant and end up considering a six/twelve pack almost every time I'm at the grocery store. Whenever some pops up in the discounted single bottles bin -- and that's happened a couple times at the local Kroger now -- I grab them right away. It's a legitimately good beer, "craft" or not.)

I also have Guinness and Peroni semi-frequently, other Euro lagers less often but still at least every now and then, especially if I stumble across one I haven't tried before. If Foreign Extra Stout existed anywhere within a 50-mile radius of me, I'd probably have Guinness even more often.

If my only options were the domestic AALs, PBR and regular Coors would be the ones I'd go for. Also, Country Club Malt Liquor is surprisingly decent for something that costs four bucks a six-pack. I've always looked for the Pabst "we brought back a historical beer" lineup (Old Tankard, Balantine IPA, etc.) but so far haven't ever seen any of them around here.

39. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (255) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Hmmmm...good question.I don't know who's making it. I do know that I see it fairly regularly :-/
    I'll have a closer look next time I see it.
    I suppose it _could_ be old stock... :-0

40. raticus

raticus Initiate (65) Apr 25, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

Coors banquet would be my choice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.