Favorite Quads

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GSS, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BWood

BWood Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

Three philosophers is one of my all time favorites. It was one of the first beers that got me in to craft. It will always hold a special place in my heart. All the great quads have been said over and over.

2. DiUr

DiUr Aspirant (217) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

Rochefort 10 is one of those few beers that brings magic to the table, certainly deserving a place among the best i´ve had. Lighter sisters are no less recognizable as a brand and i love them all, even if 10 shines brighter. I use to keep the yeast in the bottle until a fifth of it is left, and then swirl and pour it all for a dirty late fruity heaven. And i say this as a big fan of St. Benardus (12 and Wit specially).

Slightly lesser beers as St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and Kaastel Donker might be overlooked here, as i really appreciate the drinkability in the former and the vinous qualities in both. About to open a Straffe Hendrik because of this thread and looking forward for the Pannepot also, which seems to be available in this little corner of the world. Call me a crying european but i don´t care about american quads at this point yet.

[​IMG]

3. DiUr

DiUr Aspirant (217) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

Straffe Hendrik looking like a beautiful beer at first sight, with a similar profile as Rochefort but just slightly hoppier with also hints of lemon, without losing any of the malts and yeast. Suave.

TongoRad likes this.
  4. Everydayoff

Everydayoff Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 Thailand

Mine has been impressed by Gulden Draak 9000. Complex and tasty.

5. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,425) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I haven't had too many, but St. Bernardus Abt 12 is my favorite so far.

6. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (574) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland

Not a favorite, but a great Trappist dark horse is the La Trappe oak-aged quad. The batches aged in wine barrels have the best qualities of a great quad and a great dry red wine.

Lucular likes this.
  7. aquabears

aquabears Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2016 Connecticut

Westvleteren 12...

8. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,284) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

I haven't had a quadrupel aged in red wine barrels but the idea sounds amazing. I wonder why don't more breweries make these instead of opting for bourbon barrels which can often overpower the quadrupel flavors?

jmasher85 likes this.
  9. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (559) Nov 5, 2013 Virginia
    Society

Westvleteren 12, Abt 12, Rochefort 10, and La Trappe Quadrupel. It's splitting hairs for which one is best. They are all worth trying (and retrying). I think Kasteel Donker is just a hair below these 4 and is criminally underrated. Ommegang's Three Philosophers and Boulevard's The Sixth Glass are surprisingly authentic and delicious American interpretations of the style as well. As for BA versions (though I'd never reach for these if I were craving a quad) I'd say the best are Boulevard and Central Waters' BBA Quad's, as well as Deschutes' Not the Stoic and FW's Stickee Monkee.

10. speedydd6

speedydd6 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2016 Indiana

Taxman's Qualified

11. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (574) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland

Seriously, it's wonderful. The dark fruit, tobacco, and oaky flavors and smooth tannins fit a quad so much better than just heavy oak and whiskey overtones.

Lucular likes this.
  12. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

Try the Straffe Hendrick Heritage, its pricy but for a yearly oak aged quad its really really great.

I want to know more about the types of barrels they use as I don't know where to find that info.

13. Whey2Hoppy

Whey2Hoppy Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2016 New Jersey

Victory V-12 is still my favorite, even after trying all the greats such as St. Bernardus and Rochefort. Second place would go to Weyerbacher.

14. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Poo-Bah (1,605) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Obviously the usual Belgian suspects are well represented here in other comments. But For some American and lesser-knowns....

Sixth Glass by Boulevard is excellent, as is Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Quad
    Ten by Funkwerks
    Mikkeller's Monk's Brew (sometimes called Monk's Elixir)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.