Favorite YouTube beer show?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Admbmb92, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (676) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Forgot about imasofat. Unsure if they still review beers. The wife always seems like she's half in the bag when she's reviewing them.

puboflyons likes this.
  2. beaudio

beaudio Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

TheMetalMadman.

That guy cracks me up.

3. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

Gregs Beer reviews. I catch myself sometimes opening my fridge and say "Let's see what's in the fridge today".

4. bmeGT

bmeGT Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Georgia

Greg's is definitely the top dude. The only downside is each of his videos are 10+ minutes. When I'm in a hurry, I like to check out Beer Geek Nation. I like that Better Beer Authority (did) blind tests. That really pulls out the true taste of the beer. I wish other reviewers would start doing that. However, James Knott was just so damn annoying that it turned me off of BBA.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  5. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,450) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Beer Geek Nation

6. Aaron_Kerkvliet

Aaron_Kerkvliet Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Wisconsin

7. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

utopiajane likes this.
  8. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

LambicPentameter and Smakawhat like this.
  9. Dave97

Dave97 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]

Albino Rhino.

Gotta love a Youtube beer reviewer who's willing to chum in a bucket on his own show.

afish, Urk1127, AugustusRex and 2 others like this.
  10. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

Love beer geek nation but i dislike how he mumbles and rushes his words. Also i enjoy that he reviews some of the whales that i wouldn't normally be interested in putting forth the time and effort to get, for example any whale thats an ipa or dipa.

11. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Darwin is the shit. I totally trust his reviews and consider him the authority. WhatCheers Nick is cool, but long and maybe gushing a bit too much (beergasms are awkward imo). Jow's Arcade is cool too. I watch Greg, but sometimes find myself yelling at the TV when he starts ranting about dates (it's a good cause, but he spends more time on date codes then the actual beer in question). He's also been reviewing a lot of mediocre beers from small breweries that I will never encounter.

HorseheadsHophead and dar482 like this.
  12. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

I've really grown to dislike his reviews. I hate how after the first smell and taste, it's some combination of "WOW, loads of citrusy grapefruit, orange peel, just a dank dank taste"

Also, I know if shouldn't matter, but it weirds me out that he edits his videos like he does. He'll pour the beer, then say let's give it a taste and when the camera cuts back he's clearly already had a few sips, but he's pretending it's his first. It seems very rehearsed like it's read from a script rather than just initial reactions to the beer.

13. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Darwin is the most authentic and honest to me, seems like a cool dude.

dar482 likes this.
  14. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

Beer Temple...makes me not just want to drink beer, but understand it. Mainly just drink though.

tanis38, quinnsi and Ciocanelu like this.
  15. do_ob

do_ob Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

I do like Beer Geek Nation, but I gotta give props to Greg, too.

Let's see what's in tha fridge today!

chrismann65 likes this.
  16. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I usually watch Real Ale Craft Beer, The Craft Beer Channel and Beer Geek Nation.

STONE THE CROWS!

Stout_Sabre likes this.
  17. anonymoose

anonymoose Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2015 North Carolina

I think Darwin is by far the best

18. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (365) Sep 19, 2013 New York

I'll watch content from pretty much anyone, especially in terms of homebrewing, and take notes while I'm at it.

For tasting new beers I think beergeeknation does a pretty good job at:
    -obtaining the latest greatest
    -keeping it short and simple (2-3 minute video with no annoying lead up-straight to point)
    -having a good amount of self humility (fat guy who loves his ales)
    -he focuses a lot on ipa's and stouts
    -he reviews a lot of North Eastern beers that are available in my distribution footprint
    -he understands hops, malts, yeasts and flavor profiles
    -he never speaks badly about any product (if he doesn't like it, he simply doesn't acknowledge it)

dar482 likes this.
  19. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

None. The boring review format is such a poor representation of what beer has to offer.

20. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

I like Massive Beer Reviews and Beer Geek Nation.

MassiveBeerReviews likes this.
  21. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Beer geek nation and gregs beer reviews

22. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (885) Dec 3, 2014 California

I already answered this awhile back, but I'll go into more depth:

Beer Geek Nation:
    Pros: Very concise, tight format. Audio quality is very good. Lots of enthusiasm. Stays positive, it has to be pretty awful for him to be negative.
    Cons: Doesn't talk appearances. Has a decent vocabulary of descriptors, but tends to focus on a certain handful 90% of the time. Focused primarily on stouts and IPAs.

Darwin:
    Pros: While not extremely concise, still tends to be under 10 minutes a video. Wide array of descriptors and constantly putting them to work. Talks about appearance as well. Does some cool things like blending and blind tasting.
    Cons: Has a very clear idea of what he considers a good IPA (cloudy, tropical, not very bitter), so I tend to skip reviews that don't fall into that paradigm because he's going to call them boring and move on. Audio quality tends to be a bit iffy at times.

Greg's beer reviews:
    Pros: Doesn't take himself too seriously. Doesn't overthink the production and focuses on having a beer and giving his thoughts, which works well for him. Pretty wide variety of styles reviewed. Comes across as very genuine.
    Cons: LONNNG. While I enjoy them, its hard to consistently watch full episodes with the length, which I figure to some people is a strength. Audio quality is so so.

I watch a few others like master of hoppets, craft beer temple and joe's arcade, but haven't seen enough of any of them to have a strong opinion. I used to really enjoy better beer authority but the relaunch hasn't quite been the same. I really miss New Brew Thursday, that was fantastic, especially the stuff with Dr. Bill.

23. Tonyjenlasc

Tonyjenlasc Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New Jersey

JOW's Beer & Arcade Reviews (Joe Senigaglia)
    Erik Wood Blackboard Beer Reviews
    Darwin's
    Nathan Ryerson Behind the Bar
    Beer Geek Nation

Averwo and dar482 like this.
  24. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Every morning I check out:
    Darwin
    Beer Geek Nation
    Joe Senigaglia

Averwo, HorseheadsHophead and dar482 like this.
  25. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,450) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Beer Geek Nation

26. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Zealot (585) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Gregg's Beer Review
    Louisiana Beer Review

27. winningwes91

winningwes91 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 North Carolina

I agree on the comments about BGN. All his reviews seem so copy and paste. I think the best 2 right now are @dar482 and Joe! Super nice guys and honest. A list of other good ones are Erik, Crafty beer reviews, what cheers, brew review crew and eerie better beer bureau.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  28. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Disciple (323) Aug 16, 2014 California

Greg's and Beer Geek nation are the two that I watch. I used to watch Greg's a lot more but he just talks to damn much. Who has 20 minutes to watch a single beer review? Beer Geek Nation is my go to now since all the videos are kept to 5-10 minutes.

29. CRObighit2

CRObighit2 Aspirant (277) Mar 2, 2014 Canada (ON)

Albino Rhino, Bike Brews Reviews, Lee Russel for Canadian reviewers. Louisiana Beer reviews for Americans

30. ianskate

ianskate Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 New York

Shameless plug: my own of course! But really, there's a lot of great stuff already posted in here, most of the mentioned ones I already watch.

31. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

1) R. Jay Theriot: Guy does his homework. I learn something pretty much every video.
    2) William Geist: Funny as hell.
    3) Greg: The one and only, they broke the mold.
    Based on comments I'll have to check out Darwin's channel.

32. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Darwin, Chris at BGN, Peter Master of Hoppets, Erie Better Beer Bureau are my favorties.

Just started following Joe Spengilia (spelling might be wrong). He's the guy with the arcade games in the background. His Alpine and Green Flash review/rant was great.

dar482 likes this.
  33. ryerson82

ryerson82 Initiate (37) Apr 12, 2015 Kansas

Wow. Some great reviewers listed here. My channel has even been listed, which is crazy to me. I decided to have fun doing it after watching Dar, Erik and Jon, Joe and others. For me it's just for fun and I will never take beer too seriously.

My channel is Behind the Bar. Just search Nathan Ryerson if you want to find it. I'm still pretty new ;-)

dar482 likes this.
  34. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,533) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Bring back the BBA. They never considered themselves experts, but they had an intangible factor that none of these other reviewers possess. Take that for what it's worth. The host was polished, and for whatever reason the myriad personalities on their panel (mostly mainstays) seemed to work. Also, they got Greg Koch to stop by for an episode. Need I say more?

JohnnyMc likes this.
  35. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

They have these?

36. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

Greg beer reviews. I find myself smiling at while watching almost every time. I would hang out with the dude. Beer geek nation is pretty good. I like going back in forth from his fat episodes to skinny and back again... Gives me hope.
    Beer thirty show is my all time favorite podcast, they always have great guests on from my favorite breweries and I think it's super interesting how they vaporize hops and inhale hop oils like guinea pigs for my listening pleasure. #aintnothinwrongwitit

37. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (333) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Bitter Poet Madman but he stopped doing beer reviews unfortunately, and just posts videos of him downing Mickeys and other malt liquors. His Westy 12 review was hilarious

tim007007 likes this.
  38. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Beer geek nation
    Louisiana beer reviews
    Chad'z beer reviews
    And if anybody else knows a good beer show that does a lot of Midwestern beers let me know.

39. thorkelson

thorkelson Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2014 Minnesota

I don't do any youtube channels but I love good beer hunting's podcast

nick0417 likes this.
  40. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Not sure it qualifies as a YouTube exclusive, but you can't go wrong with The Beer Temple. Great show, amazing bottle shop.

tanis38, Tbub18, tim007007 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.