Favorite YouTube beer show?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Admbmb92, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I like Beer Geek Nation but getting tired of him pimping beer stores where you can never get the beers he's reviewing.
    I also like Greg's Beer Reviews but his reviews are getting too long to watch.
    Finally - I like the The Real Beer Heads because they get in and out pretty quick.

2. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

Yeah it is hard to find informative beer reviews on youtube without it just turning into a snoozefest. I find that most of the reviews on pretty boring which is why I was quite sad when James Knott of Better Beer Authority quit. They were at least entertaining even if I disagreed with them quite often on their score. There is a group of guys that replaced them but they're horrible at beer reviews.

At any rate, I find the best ones to be Peter Master Of Hoppets, Simon Real Ale Craft Beer and Maria Devon The Girl Next Door. Although, the downside is, Peter and Simon have been reviewing mostly European beers lately that I can't get in my area.

Of course, the all time best at beer reviews is the man in my avatar, that's Michael Jackson The Beer Hunter. Unfortunately he is no longer with us and only has a few beer reviews up on youtube. He wrote several books on beer and whiskey, he was quite the intellectual and enjoyed beers from all over the world. He knew more abut beer than anyone else in the world at the time he wrote his books.

One1Asterisk and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I am not gonna tag her here, don't want to embarrass her, and I know she is out of town, but have had the pleasure of a few fine beer sessions with her, and she amazed us. There are humans who are super tasters (look it up) and she is one. Great pleasure, and humbling, to discuss a beer we all are drinking and hear her describe it.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,744) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“There are humans who are super tasters (look it up)…”

Dave, firstly I want to say I am a fan of the reviews that Maria does on YouTube.

A bit of a nitpick is that the term “supertaster” is what folks in the sensory perception industry refer to as folks who are hyper-sensitive to perceiving bitter tastes. There is a taste strip which has a bitter taste to it and supertasters react to that tasting strip in a very vile way. Supertaster have more papillae on their tongues that most folks.

You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

I very much doubt that Maria is a supertaster within this context because she likes hoppy beers; a true supertaster would spit out the types of beers that Maria enjoys drinking.

Cheers!

5. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Poo-Bah (1,870) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

Let's not exaggerate.

One1Asterisk likes this.
  6. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (15,383) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Why do you want to watch someone do a video beer review? Those are insanely boring, but not as bad as an audio podcast of a beer review.

Badfish, azorie and One1Asterisk like this.
  7. NHhomebrewguy

NHhomebrewguy Zealot (555) Apr 9, 2012 New Hampshire

@BethanyB is pretty good. When I first started to take BA seriously and looked at reviews of beers hers really stuck out to me. Come to find out she's a BJCP certified judge so she actually does know her stuff!

BethanyB and One1Asterisk like this.
  8. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,042) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Lots of great reviewer on here, personally I have found @BEERchitect has not only reviewed a lot of beers but they are high quality reviews.

9. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (543) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Nice avatar

One1Asterisk likes this.
  10. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Beer Geek and Greg never seem to have a bad beer though

One1Asterisk likes this.
  11. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

Our own @utopiajane does some of her reviews on youtube. Shameless plug for her. I enjoy what she has to say and find her informative without being dry.

12. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

This video is a little old (from 2012), but it includes several good beer reviewers on YouTube, including my personal favorite, Chris from Beer Geek Nation.

As far as BA reviewers go, I concur with those who've already mentioned BEERchitect and I really wish BuckeyeNation still reviewed beers--those are probably my favorite out of all of them.

Thanks for mentioning this. I didn't realize she did YouTube reviews. I just finished watching several, and while I'm not surprised at how good they are, given her written reviews on BA, I will definitely be following that channel moving forward.

13. CTbrew32

CTbrew32 Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2013 Rhode Island

Yeah, they rate kindly for the majority of beers, but I've seen them be harsh on multiple occasions (especially BGK on beer camp).

One1Asterisk likes this.
  14. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Glad you clarified. It was eating me up inside

One1Asterisk likes this.
  15. One1Asterisk

One1Asterisk Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2014 Florida

Thank you for the wealth of information I have to sift through! I've seen some of the suggestions mentioned here, but I'll definitely give them all another fair chance. It's been a busy couple of days for me, so I do apologize for not being present in my own discussion, but again thanks for all of your opinions!

16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Well according to this we both are right. from wiki
    "A supertaster is a person who experiences the sense of taste with far greater intensity than average. Some 35% of women and 15% of men are supertasters.[1] Supertasters are more likely to be of Asian, African, and South American descent.[2] The cause of this heightened response is unknown, although it is thought to be related to the presence of the TAS2R38 gene, the ability to taste PROP and PTC, and at least in part, due to an increased number of fungiform papillae.[3] Any evolutionary advantage to supertasting is unclear. In some environments, heightened taste response, particularly to bitterness, would represent an important advantage in avoiding potentially toxic plant alkaloids. In other environments, increased response to bitterness may have limited the range of palatable foods. It may be a cause of picky eating, but picky eaters are not necessarily supertasters, and vice versa."

Cheers! :slight_smile:

#176 cavedave, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    utopiajane likes this.
  17. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Jack,

While heightened response to bitterness characterizes many supertasters it is not necessarily the case that all supertasters have that reaction to bitterness. A supertaster is someone who has a heightened response to tastes. That test strip is just a quick and easy way to identify many (but not all) supertasters.

azorie likes this.
  18. drtth

Dave,

Your analysis of the Wikipedia entry is pretty much correct. Supertasters are typically hypersenstive to bitterness so that is used as the identification and testing clue but there are individual variations in supertasters just as there are in the rest of us. The thing to factor into your thinking is you may also be dealing with an individual who is a very careful and analytic medium taster who has taken great care to educate the palate. Such people would not necessarily be supersensitive but still be quite aware of subtleties that escape many of us and are literally unnoticable to the medium low tasters. In other words there's a dimension along which people vary that involves sensitivity to tastes of various kinds and for research purposes they have been divided into three categories. It’s a lot like height. All people are either short, medium height or tall, but....

#178 drtth, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    cavedave likes this.
  19. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,569) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

He didn't say she was a supertaster, but rather a super taster. That is, one who excels at tasting. :wink:

AugustusRex and JackHorzempa like this.
  20. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Because who could take the word of a non human right? Sheesh!

cavedave likes this.
  21. drtth

Well Watson did pretty well on Jeopardy and has also beaten Chess Champions so you'll want to learn to accept the word of non-humans fairly soon.

22. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (4,092) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

I also think UtopiaJane is one of the best written/video reviewers out there. No doubt about it.

cavedave and utopiajane like this.
  23. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I want to say thank you all. I learned everything about beer tasting form htis website and it's reviewers. I read the beerchitect, the brewo, stone trippin, I can't tell you how many reviews I have read from womencantsail adn tectactoe adn a list too long to write . I read the bros faithfully too. @JackHorzempa what you said really means a lot to me. I remember joining this site and you were my first frind, my first message and my first coversation. I love and admire your posts and your participation here. Nathan cavedave and kerry you guys are my buddies and so thank you. Jay and Jeff I really enjoy doing reviews with both of you. You have been my models too. AND Beer advcate has the best company on the internet so I am proud if you guys like my reviews =)

24. BuckettOfBeer

BuckettOfBeer Initiate (127) Mar 19, 2010 Minnesota

25. SoulFroosh

SoulFroosh Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Maine

God forbid we might use 2 different websites for our interest in beer.

I've never seen someone pour a beer here. It's a pretty limited platform. Sometimes I want to see a real person pouring a beer, seeing the container, seeing him smell, taste, seeing his reaction. Then I touch myself (no wait, that doesn't happen)

26. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

sabeermetrics

27. kevinlater

kevinlater Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Canada (ON)

28. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (4,365) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

ME!
    Just kidding.
    Youtube and the internet in general are full of self-proclaimed "experts'. There's never been a time in human history where there's been more opinions available with less of a filter as to whether those opinions are worth anything. Take your time, see whose reviews seem to make sense (and it does help somewhat if lots of otherwise seemingly smart people tend to agree) and make your choice - BUT: never go with what seems popular over what is your own gut instinct. If you don't know as much about a particular beer style, that's one thing, but it can't be held against you for being true to yourself.

29. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Disciple (389) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska

Whatever happened to @TheLongBeachBum? That dude has some really fun reviews from back in the day.

30. SoulFroosh

SoulFroosh Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Maine

"Oh WOOW...big hop flavor in there. Grapefruits, tropical fruits, dankness, pine, a kind of herbal tea, but just a BIG, BIG, BIG West Coast style IPA"

No seriously, I like BGN.

HorseheadsHophead and TCJ0100 like this.
  31. doppletheGOAT

Yeah, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. :slight_smile:

32. BethanyB

BethanyB Zealot (539) Jun 20, 2013 New York

Thanks so much for the compliment, kind sir!

NHhomebrewguy likes this.
  33. BeerIslander

BeerIslander Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2014 Washington

Whatever happened to the VideoBeerReviews channel? It got axed for some reason. Great channel that was... As for the ones still active, I love:

GregsBeerReviews
    TMoH
    BeerGeekNation

Zetcha7x likes this.
  34. doppletheGOAT

Good question, its like Mark disappeared. Anyone know what happened to him? He was not one of my favorite reviewers but I did watch his reviews occasionally.

Genuine and Mitchell57 like this.
  35. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

utopiajane and kerry4porters like this.
  36. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (477) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I like Beer Geek Nation, Terpishchoreankid, Better Beer Authority (when they were around), Video Beer Reviews.

I used to watch "AskSomeAdvice " just because the dude is off his rocker. I can't stand Chadz beer reviews.

Oh and Immasofat is hilarious.

37. MassiveBeerReviews

MassiveBeerReviews Initiate (120) Apr 12, 2012 New Jersey

My favorites have to be:

Albino Rhino: Chad is just awesome, honest, and funny as hell.

NEPA Beer Reviews: Joe is a young buck but he's a hell of a home-brewer and genuinely loves, and knows, beer.

Hougly Beer Review: Just dig Lee's takes and honesty.

PABrewNews: Paul is frikken hilarious yet informative and just never holds back.

Ronald Theriot: Ron's exposure and the fact that he reviews anything from Macro to Micro is awesome.

The Master of Hoppets: Peter knows his shite, has great on screen presence and you can't help but dig his enthusiasm.

38. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2014 North Carolina

It'safuckingbeer the show is called "shotgun beer review"
    I don't think he does these anymore, but he cracks me up.

39. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,101) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

Ronald Theriot/Louisiana Beer Reviews is the only one I watch consistently. He is fair and not a pretentious prick.

Local_Yeti and Zorro like this.
  40. timotao

timotao Disciple (303) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

dontdrinkbeers
    Just Keep Tastin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.