fayetteville, NC! best place for beer in the arae?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Lare453, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,431) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

going to Fayetteville NC! whats the best place to buy beer in the area?

2. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

Grapes & Hops on Ramsey St. near Methodist.
    Bobs wine shop on Raeford road (overpriced!! FYI)

3. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

my girlfriends apartment when I visit!

but seriously, just go to Huske Hardware Brewery in the old downtown. Their stout isnt bad, and the Watermelon Wheat was pretty damn good. If they still have Jack's Honey Badger (JD BA 10% Honey Blonde), get it--trust me. I liked Kill-a-man Irish Red too. I had some Mash House stuff this weekend, and the Oktoberfest wasnt bad. The IPA was ok. Otherwise, Fayetteville is a craft beer dead zone.

4. Uwftke26

Uwftke26 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2008 North Carolina
    Deactivated

A Macs just opened there...fantastic BBQ and a wide beer lineup, including the only spot for hours to get Olde Mecklenburg.

5. VncentLIFE

wait a minute. youre telling me that Olde Mecklinburg is available in Fayetteville?! what the hell. Looks like i know what me and girl are doing when Im in Fayetteville at the end of the month.

6. fastrodney

fastrodney Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2005 North Carolina

As a resident, I would concur with the above statements. Huske has decent beer and a cool location, although the food is a little weak. The arrival of a Carolina Ale House in the last few years was something of a boon and the place is pretty constantly packed. Second that Grapes and Hops is cool, with a decent selection of local beers and more exotic fare. This is a something of a dead zone for beer in what is otherwise a state experiencing a craft beer boom. I blame this ABC nonsense.

7. VncentLIFE

i noticed that when I looked into it. My gf moved there in August, and I couldnt find anywhere to go for a beer when I was moving her in. I ended up just going to Huske. No good beer bars and no like 2 bottle shops. If she makes me move down there, i might freak out.

8. brstls4drmrs

You will. Guaranteed.

I went to huske years ago and was very unimpressed with their brews. I haven't been back since. Perhaps your recommendation will bring me back there next time I'm in town. We'll see.

Don't take my review on huske however. Like I said, it's been a while since I've been there. But I agree with others. Fayette'nam is a craft beer dead zone.

9. VncentLIFE

i had some Mash House and was thoroughly unimpressed by their oktoberfest (which is an easy style to make acceptable).

10. brstls4drmrs

Mash has changed hands more times than an infant changes diapers. When they first opened, they were called cross creek brewery. and they made some very good beer. Granted this was 10+ years ago and my palate was different. However I went their recently, now the Mash House, and was not impressed. Decent brews......but nothing to write home about.

11. Uwftke26

Uwftke26 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2008 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Yup! Copper and Mecktoberfest on tap.

12. CWinchell

CWinchell Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2011 North Carolina

I agree these are the only 2 places I've ever found good beer int he area and Bob's is crazy overpriced.
    Recently a friend of ours had a going away party at this place caleld the rock shop off of business 95.
    I was pretty damn impressed with their selection.
    Nothing crazy but they had a nice selection of founders and some Raleigh locals as well.
    Other than that haven't seen much but I haven't been out and about in the ville for a while.
    Good Luck

13. VncentLIFE

I actually would recommend people avoid the IPA. Huske is just a much more enjoyable beer experience.

14. Dralzz

Dralzz Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2010 North Carolina

I grew up in Fayetteville (I live in Charlotte now), and my parents still live there, so every few months I'll go back and want some decent beer.
    Almost tried Mash House once, but I took about ten steps in and realized it looked much more like a wine crowd (also it was crowded enough to need reservations, which right away tells me I don't belong there).
    I've been to Huske Hardware once. Decent food, and I enjoyed their Red quite a bit.

This might not be of much interest, since it isn't actually IN Fayetteville, but in Aberdeen there's the Railhouse brewery. I haven't been there yet (last time I had the opportunity it was a Sunday), but I tried some of their beer at a festival and it was pretty good.

Mac's opening a location in Fayetteville is news to me, though. I'll have to stop by next time I'm in town.

Lordhelmit likes this.
  15. blackie

blackie Poo-Bah (3,130) Mar 6, 2005 Oregon
    Society Trader

I don't really have anything good to say about Huske - the beer has always been subpar or worse in my experience and the atmosphere inside pretty terrible, especially on a weekend. The place just doesn't seem to take beer seriously at all - see the beer portion of their website. They were putting out some good stuff under Julie, but after her short stint things fell off sharply.

The Mash House changed brewers in January, but until then at least the beers were always solid and consistent as Zach had been the head brewer for years and years. I've been back once since the change and can't say that it was exactly the same, but still better than what I've found down the hill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.