Federal Judge: MillerCoors Withheld Marketing Materials in Stone Brewing Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by unlikelyspiderperson, Nov 5, 2019.

1. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,086) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Seems there's a minor update to this case and Stone has been awarded some money to cover legal expenses because MillerCoors didn't provide all the relevant info during discovery.
    https://www.brewbound.com/news/fede...-marketing-materials-in-stone-brewing-lawsuit

Related:

2. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

A slap on MillerCoors wrist for failing to provide some documentation, they'll beer more diligent in the future. I seriously doubt many beer drinkers actually confuse the Keystone packaging & products with Stone's, but article comment #2, by a woman who appears to be a Stone shill, is a little much.

J-Bk, gueuzegeek and argock like this.
  3. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Disciple (384) Apr 13, 2013 Texas
    Society

Here's why I think the issue is irrelevant. People who drink Stone products are in no way going to be confused into buying Keystone beer. Keystone drinkers will take one look at the price of Stone products and know it's not their brand.

4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (125) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

What a bunch of Maloney

GuyFawkes likes this.
  5. lewisti

lewisti Initiate (175) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

She certainly is no cicerone she spelled palate wrong

6. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Zealot (561) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

Seems like a silly lawsuit to me. While I am drinking a Coors and typing this response. P.S. I do not in anyway endorse Keystone. Not a beer in my wheelhouse, sorry.

7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,086) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I think in addition to the more obvious love of 'anti establishment' branding that Stone wades in, there is also the fact that you need to be able to show you are actively defending a trademark if you want to keep it, and Stone legal team might very well have decided that the cost of a failed lawsuit is well worth the evidence of actively protecting a trademark (and this recoup of some legal cost certainly helps that case)

chrismattlin, Redrover and VWSunroof like this.
  8. Jbe

Jbe Initiate (30) Apr 16, 2018 Louisiana

Absolutely right, but I think their case is better than that. Coors Miller marketing department realized that Keystone is a little bit too much on the tongue when you add a light after it. What Stone should do right now and immediately is create Stone Light, just do a blonde stout or something, but that would put MillerCoors in a conundrum.

KentT, sulldaddy, KRug and 1 other person like this.
  9. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (150) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Well then she is certainly a BA poster.

10. KRug

KRug Initiate (84) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

That would be a nice middle finger to MC lol

11. Levich

Levich Devotee (449) Nov 14, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Agreed. Trademark holders are required to defend them if they want to keep them. If a trademark holder does not attempt to defend his/her trademark, it is akin to giving up the trademark. Not defending this keySTONE case would effectively open the door for other brewers, including craft brewers, to infringe on Stones trademark.

12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

SHOCKING!

chrismattlin likes this.
  13. J-Bk

J-Bk Initiate (61) Jul 26, 2014 New York

I'd love to see one of those "refined pallets" she references. Is the beer shipped on polished mahogany skids, rather than the crass & rough ones that Big Beer stacks their cases on?

14. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (616) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

looks like she is an executive assistant at Stone

officerbill likes this.
  15. bilbobrewer

bilbobrewer Aspirant (296) Jul 16, 2014 Oregon

Company shill much? They cherry-picked and witthheld ONLY the evidence that was damning to their defense.

chrismattlin and officerbill like this.
  16. bilbobrewer

So how long have you held this "beer drinkers' spokesperson" post? How does one get into that field?

chrismattlin and officerbill like this.
  17. bilbobrewer

You post on each thing you find silly? Just lawsuits?

18. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Sustainable, small batch, ethically grown, non-GMO, trees harvested by local indigenous lumberjacks and constructed with materials made from recycled Stone cans.

It's a state certification after some community college classes with on-site research and an unsupervised, self-paced internship. It's on Bloomberg's list of “emerging careers” (just below windmill farm caretaker).

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (137) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I still see it in stores. Not sure if Stone really won.