1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

FedEx-ing beer out of Denver to Texas

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by WickedSluggy, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (1,105) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

Now t hat that there are recreational use weed stores, I'm concerned about my beer shipments being more closely scrutinized. It is not technically legal to ship beer into Texas (wine's ok but not beer). Anyone have recent experience shipping to Texas? I'd hate to lose a few hundred dollars worth of beer.

2. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Grand Pooh-Bah (3,224) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Declare it as alcohol and pay the extra fee if you're scared.

3. layinbrix

layinbrix Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2011 Colorado

I shipped to Houston twice last summer; once around May, once closer to September. Aside from a really nosy FedEx employee, who was really interested in why I'd be shipping so much homemade "barbecue sauce", nothing was different.

WickedSluggy likes this.
  4. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Maven (1,332) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

There's no right answer here. Like AB said, declare if you're that concerned.
    I personally have never had an issue. But maybe they're monitoring this forum for exactly this.
    Close your eyes, roll the dice and hope for the best.
    BTW, shipping home-made soda (Pop for you mid-westerners) is not an issue and it could be bottled in any pop-top style of bottle regardless of what the label says.
    Not that I've used that personally or anything

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

As far as I know, that isn't an option unless the shipper has a license to ship alcohol.

cducap, FarmerTed and Jasonrm72 like this.
  6. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

Until this last week I have never had any issues shipping anything via FedEx for me beer trades. However, this last week I was asked three times to provide a new box as mine was 'clearly used'. So I would get yourself a new wine shipper or fresh box, pre print shipping labels and you should be fine.

7. ADixon

ADixon Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Colorado

For what it's worth, I ship a few boxes of beer a year to a friend in Houston via FedEx and have never had an issue. I've never mentioned what I'm shipping.

8. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Pundit (904) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I ship once in a while (for homebrew comps), and I print out my labels at home, and stop by the FedEx shop around lunchtime, when it's busy. The clerks will normally just nod at me as I set the box down on the counter. I've found that if I do it early in the morning, when there's not much business, I'm more likely to get asked questions about the box contents. My go-to answer is "homemade jam," lol.

9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (1,105) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

Good suggestions. Thanks.

10. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Zealot (744) Jan 20, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

I also use my FedEx account and print the label ahead of time, so I can drop off my box and be gone in seconds. No time for any questions and my beer always arrives safely.

WI-Beer-Man likes this.
  11. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,796) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow.. First time I've heard of this.

Did you print your own label and drop it off at a carrier?

I typically use new (or at least lightly used) boxes, but we've all received boxes that weighed more from the tape than the actual cardboard... and ask, "How may times has this been back and forth across the country?"

Seems like this is a tightly wound vigilante that is taking his job parameters a little seriously.

12. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Good Lord, box of beer 15 pounds+ at least 12x12x12, box of weed under 1 pound and will fit in a padded envelope. No one is going to confuse those packages.

Like OP said pre-label boxes in good shape and come up with a slick business that pertains to a liquid product: Sluggy's Wicked Mountain Sauces. When you set up your on line account do it as a business to get better pricing and put you business name on the label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.