Feds reduce Redhook Brewery fine in fatal keg explosion

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by barknee, Nov 26, 2012.

1. barknee

barknee Oct 5, 2004 New York

When we lost Ben Harris, a much respected and liked craft beer man earlier this year in April, the news of the tragedy was posted in another thread here, followed by an update from Todd on 4/27 who posted a statement from Redhook.
    The following link provides an update to the investigation as well as some disappointing news relating to the 14 alleged serious violations of workplace safety standards at that facility.
    It appears, as is usually revealed in hindsight, that this tragedy was unquestionably avoidable.
    We will remember you brother.
    http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20121121-NEWS-121129933

2. zappafrank

zappafrank Sep 9, 2012 Ohio

It is still mind-boggling that there were no regulators on the air lines of the keg cleaning equipment.

3. dvelcich

dvelcich Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

It's a fuct up situation, but I feel even worse that his death has to be quantified in dollars.

4. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

His family will probably get a reduced settlement because the keg he was filling wasn't even a Redhook one. I'm sure he wasn't following proper procedures if he was cleaning a keg that CLEARLY did not belong to the brewery (Redhook does not use plastic kegs). It'll be a case where the plaintiff is a certain percentage negligent and the factory is negligent... settled out of court and with a sealed amount.

Pretty dumb not to have regulators though. My $10 bike pump has one.

tronester and thecraftculture like this.
  5. thecraftculture

thecraftculture Nov 28, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing...

6. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I love when the Feds get involved

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

And still there's a lot of people on here who think the beer industry should be de-regulated. :(

8. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Oct 24, 2012 Poland

Every death that isn't "natural" is essentially avoidable. It's a horrible tragedy and obviously a great loss for those who were close to him, but money is not the solution. Let's use Ben's life to further improve the way small breweries operate -- as a brewer, that's a legacy that I would love to have.

smutty33 and KansasBeerLover like this.
  9. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Feb 16, 2009 Kansas

Since this is an OSHA violation, I don't think deregulation comes into play.

Amen!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!