Fiddlehead Brewery Shelburne, VT

Discussion in 'New England' started by phorestfreak, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phorestfreak

phorestfreak Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2004 Connecticut

If you've been there, what are your thoughts? Do they sell half growlers? The actual glass that is.

Thank you

2. adowney523

adowney523 Disciple (311) Aug 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Growlers are $10 plus $3 deposit for the IPA, but I can't speak for any other beer. They are producing the IPA all the all-time and other beers are one-offs and only brewed once. I thought the IPA was a nice refreshing, floral IPA that was very easy to drink. I thought I saw half-growlers at the brewery, but I was there for the full growler so I can't confirm that. They seem to be on tap at a lot of places in the Burlington area, looks to me like they are taking the idea of Switchback (VT's amber) and want to be VT's IPA.

3. celfan

celfan Aspirant (225) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

went there and got a growler. don't recall if they had small ones.

dropinbrewery in Middlebury had small growlers. they may have had three sizes.

4. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont

I thought the IPA from Fiddlehead was very tasty, plenty of hops, but not in your face. The one off's, which are brewery only, have been great.

Plan on visiting when the pizza joint next door is open (I think it's called Folino's). Outstanding local flatbreads and it's BYOB so you can bring your Fiddlehead growler in to enjoy with your pie.

If vino is your thing, Shelburne Vineyards is across the street.

5. celfan

celfan Aspirant (225) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

yeah pizza place was closed on Labor Day. that bummed the hell out of me.

i won't pass judgement on their beer because I'm not a real hops afficianado. i'm in my rotation of Heady, Double Sunshine and HF and nothing else is floating my boat these days.. i wasn't even an IPA lover until I found these breweries. people who know more about IPA's than me seem to like Fiddlehead fine. I also got the regular size growler.

I can tell you Dropin Brewery in Middlebury has half growlers. They may even have three sizes of growlers if I recall correctly.

6. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New York

My father and I stopped in there a couple months ago and both agree the IPA wasn't very good. The only other offering on tap was the Wit, which was decent. Perhaps we are spoiled on HT and Double sunshine.

7. phorestfreak

phorestfreak Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2004 Connecticut

Awesome tip! Thank you

8. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

I believe Fiddlehead is working on getting 750mL growlers but doesn't have them at this point.

The IPA is good but not great, the one-off's I've had have all been pretty good. They are a young brewery so I'd expect to see some improvement and more consistent offerings other than the IPA as they get going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.