Fiddlehead Second Fiddle Cans!

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by FloppyTopper, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloppyTopper

FloppyTopper Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 Vermont

Picked up a 4 pack of this in Southern VT and WOW!!! What a fantastic beer. It is right up there in quality with the big 3 - i sh!t you not. Might be the most similar to Ghandi Bot. Heavy on the citra and maybe some simcoe as well. $12 a 4 pack of 16oz cans so the same as heady.

All you folks traveling from afar for the big weekend and Waterbury should seek some of this out. I would much rather snag a four pack of this real quick like than wait in line for hours… just saying' :slight_smile:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

skivtjerry likes this.
  2. JArmour15

JArmour15 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

$12 out the door at a brewery or package shop?

3. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

$12/4 pack at Bevie and at Brewery. AMAZING beer.

4. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

can't wait, just praying there's some left on Monday afternoon when I drive through!

5. mattosgood

mattosgood Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Massachusetts

Define "southern Vermont."

6. FloppyTopper

Bennington. I'm guessing you can find it most decent beer stores in VT. There were plenty of cans left.

7. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

If anyone wants to set up a trade for some Night Shift, Jack's Abby, or Trillium I'd love to get a couple 4 packs.

8. jamvt

jamvt Devotee (401) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

also nice to see that the mobile canning company they use is now doing canned on dates on the bottom of the can. 2F was canned on 5/19. think this is iron heart iirc.

9. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (3,061) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This beer is fantastic. Drank back to back with HT and preferred it by a fairly wide margin. Maybe I've had too much HT lately but I was really impressed by second fiddle. Just a touch of sweetness and malty body that balanced things out (still a hop bomb for sure), not as caustically bitter and dry as HT. Maybe I'll feel differently a week from now but I was pounding these guys all weekend very happily.

10. wapack

wapack Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 New Hampshire

any idea if this is kicking around the Brattleboro area?

11. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

How long do you have to drive out of MA to find this stuff?

12. BoldRulerVT

That's a good question. They have broader distribution in the state compared to Alchemist. But maybe some other BAs can chime in on current Second Fiddle stock in southern-ish Vermont.

13. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

Call and ask if Hoppy Valley's Taste of Vermont (or maybe it's called Green Mountain Tasting Center now) has it in stock. They are slowly ramping up their VT beer offerings and they're only a few miles across the border of MA.

Their FB page is at https://www.facebook.com/HoppyValleyOrganics
    News article about opening at http://www.iberkshires.com/story_new/46538/Vermont-Tasting-Center-Opens-Near-Mass.-Border.html

FloppyTopper likes this.
  14. FloppyTopper

Thanks for sharing - can't wait to check that out James. The wife drives past it from Benn to N Adams for work. I'm going to have her snag me something! Hope they start selling some of the hops out of there as well.

15. Rootz

Rootz Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2013 New York

feel like an ass for just passing this up as i was at hunger mountain this past weekend

16. jamesewelch

I talked with the owner last year. Their hop yard is still quiet small. I think just 2nd year now, but they do sell hops to both breweries (Otter Creek for upcoming new release) and homebrewers (local homebrew Andy Ferko, just won an award in NC homebrew festival using their wild hops).

His goal is to get a lot of the northern VT beer down to south VT, so if there's a chance on it making it there, then he'll try to get it. For breweries that distribute via their own distributor (where they own distributor as 2nd company), those might not make it there, but for breweries who use the major/big distributors then there's a chance to start seeing more of that trickle down there.

17. MattXT

MattXT Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

I'm headed up to Lake St Catherine tomorrow. If I take Rt7 instead of 22, I'll pop in there and check it out myself. I had read the iB article and I liked what they had to say.

18. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (188) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Can are gone at the brewery and I haven't seen any in the greater Burlington area.

19. jamesewelch

I picked some up at City Market on Tuesday. There were a few more 4-packs left there.

20. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (253) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

and once again big shout out to Matt Cohen!! not playing second fiddle to many, that's for sure.

jamesewelch likes this.
  21. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

just drank my first of these, REALLY good! can't get over that there is 8.2% hidden in there somewhere. incredibly well-balanced

22. dgthrasher

dgthrasher Initiate (63) Dec 27, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Excellent beer, keeping up with the VT IPA. Wish I sought this out on my last trip!

23. Adirondack47

Adirondack47 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 New York

Cracked my first can tonight and all I can say is WOW. Its like Heady and Abrasive went on a date, got drunk and then had a romp and a few weeks later produced a beautiful little 16oz beer baby (in a can). I am thoroughly impressed with this beer and im not an easy sell on anything (beer or otherwise). Fiddlehead hit a homerun with this one.

24. jamesewelch

Keep your eyes open for Mastermind DIPA coming to cans in a few months, too (as soon as NZ hops arrive)... Mastermind was my favorite Fiddlehead DIPA when I tasted them last year.

They are trying to do a canning run every 2 weeks, so we should start seeing regular deliveries of Fiddlehead brews.

Fluke828, telejunkie and BoldRulerVT like this.
  25. BoldRulerVT

James with the inside track on info. After I picked up a 4 pack today, there was one four pack left at Georgia Market.

26. Fluke828

Fluke828 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2011 Massachusetts

this is excellent news...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.