Fiddlehead's Hodad Porter cans released at package stores

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by BoldRulerVT, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

So far a few local stores in and around Burlington including Pearl Street Beverage have it available right now. These cans aren't available at the brewery until tomorrow. Kind of a surprise drop!!!

Fluke828 likes this.
  2. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

I picked some up at the Bevy. Seen photos from Pearl St and U-Save saying they have Hodad too. Bevy also got Heady and Double Sunshine delivered today too.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  3. DrewGingras

DrewGingras Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Vermont

I was JUST about to start a thread about this! Gonna be watching some college basketball tonight with friends and will absolutely be picking up some on my way home.

Anyone know how it is? I imagine the brewery has had it on tap before?

I drive by the brewery every day (it's on my commute) and I've never stopped by... I'm embarassed...

4. jamesewelch

I've had Hodad at brewfest (Siptemberfest maybe? or maybe VT brewers fest?) and then twice at the brewery, bringing home 32 oz growlers each time, so I think I've had some of the last 3 batches :slight_smile:

Really excellent. I'm a big fan of beer tasting like what it says it's going to taste like. So a Chocolate Vanilla Toasted Coconut beer? Yep, I can taste all of it and it all tastes great. It's probably my favorite VT Porter.

You really need to stop there. Grab some free samples, get a 32 oz growler and just fill it up once a week or every other week. They have the IPA always on draught, but the other 2 are mostly new beer. There's a couple beer (Second Fiddle, Hodad) that they've brewed a few times, but mostly new/first time brewed beer.

BrockettBrewing and Fluke828 like this.
  5. DrewGingras

DrewGingras Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Vermont

Thanks for the input, James! That all sounds awesome.

I take Route 7 from Burlington to North Ferrisburgh everyday... I think this "never stopped before" business ends today!

Cheers friends!

6. Fluke828

Fluke828 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2011 Massachusetts

Dammit Brennan. Now the secret's out! I am ISO a 4-pack of this (posted in the other forum). Stuff is too good!!

EDIT:
    This ^ SO much this....

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  7. jamesewelch

The put all of the Hodad batch into cans, so just FYI you're not going to find Hodad for samples or growlers today or this weekend. I asked a couple days ago and they responded via twitter. They aren't suppose to start selling cans at brewery until tomorrow, so unless you can talk them into selling you some cans today, you might need to come back on Sat for cans. (Or you can stop at Pearl St, Winooski, U-Save in SB, etc. and grab a 4 pack).

8. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

any idea if this stuff is going to make it out closer to waterbury?

9. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (260) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

They have it at Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury right now. I just picked some up from my "packy" :stuck_out_tongue: in Richmond. Had it at SIPtemberfest - super tasty, but a dessert beer, imo.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  10. BoldRulerVT

BTW, Hodad got a huge buzz at the Vermont Brewers Festival last year. It's one of my all time favorite porters.

Fluke828 and jamesewelch like this.
  11. BoldRulerVT

They also have Hodad at Hunger Mountain.

12. Sean802

Sean802 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Vermont

Hipster at u-save said it was a one time thing (and to stock up, could be retailer bs) thanks to a mobile canning line. Here's hoping he doesn't again with Second Fiddle!

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  13. Sean802

Stupid iPhone, totally meant "hoping he DOES IT again.."

14. jamesewelch

This is just my guess/assumption/speculation, but I'm hoping Fiddlehead buys their own canning line after they move into the bigger building. There's just no where to put it at in the current building. So I'm hoping later this year/next year, they get a more permanent canning solution going for them.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  15. BoldRulerVT

James, can you offer details on the bigger building? This is the first Ive heard of it.

16. jamesewelch

It's the building directly behind the current brewery. Looks just like the current building, but bigger.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  17. jamesewelch

Also, I heard about it from another brewer. I don't think they've announced anything yet, so I have no idea on timetable or whether it's something they want/need to do or something they've already signed contract to do. I think the owner/landlord is same person and Fiddlehead originally signed a long-term lease (I think 10 years, and they are barely in their 2-3 year mark now), so hoping there's no lease complications.

18. philmore

philmore Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

Is this still around in stores? I'll be up on Saturday and I want to grab some.

19. polarbear14

polarbear14 Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Vermont

Saw some at Yankee Spirits in Montpelier today, should still be at some smaller stores. Brewery still had some on Sunday, haven't seen an update as to whether they have sold out.

20. jamesewelch

I think it's still at some stores. Fiddlehead, while popular with locals including myself, isn't on the radar of HF/Heady/Lawson beer hunters, so there's a good chance you'll find it. Give Vermont Beverage (Winooski) and the brewery calls on Saturday to ask if they have any left.

philmore likes this.
  21. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

Stuff is pretty good, very sweet though.

22. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (188) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Their was a Stack of it at pearl street beverage yesterday afternoon

23. iheartmanatees

iheartmanatees Initiate (110) Jan 27, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Beverage Baron in Barre still had some today. I picked up a four-pack to try. I think it is not selling as fast because it is $15.

24. Sean802

they still have cases at the brewery.

25. philmore

philmore Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

Thanks for the tips. Grabbed some 4packs at the Bevy in Winooski.

On the way home I stopped at Fiddlehead and Folino's for the first time after driving by a few times. Wow, what a great setup. I'll definitely be stopping there again.

jamesewelch likes this.
  26. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

beer is just as good as the hyped guys, just not as limited or hard to get so it flies under the radar on here.

jamesewelch and BoldRulerVT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.