Final Four in ATL

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by johnking82, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnking82

johnking82 Jan 30, 2010 Kentucky

Heading down to support Louisville for the Final Four this weekend. Skimmed some threads in regards to the best beer bars to hit up around the area. Chances are Ill have to get a hotel kinda outside the downtown and take a cab/metro into downtown when boozing. Are most places easily accessible as well since I'll have my truck as well?

Also, may be bringing down some stuff if anyone is interested in trading. We should be getting KBS shortly and anything that KY gets and GA doesnt get.
  2. victory4me

victory4me Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

I'm also heading into town. Will be there Sunday to Tuesday and looking for good places to grab a beer around downtown, will be staying at the Marriott Marquis.

Go Orange!
  3. Buff0910

Buff0910 Jan 20, 2013 Alabama

Make sure to go by Hop City. It is really close to the Dome and Aquarium and stuff. Cannot drink there but the selection is fantastic.
  4. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Oct 6, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Most of the stuff you'll find directly downtown (5 points area) will be chain-ish. I think Max Lagers (brewpub) is around there but I can't vouch for their brews. If you drive a mile or so north on Marietta Street towards Hop City there is 5 Seasons brewing and Octane Coffee (despite being a coffee shop, they have a good tap selection).

There are Taco Macs around the city and inside Phillip's Arena. The only issue is you have to eat at Taco Mac.

Best bet is to go to Little 5 neighborhood or Decatur. Both accessible by MARTA.

I'm probably missing some spot downtown. Somebody back me up
  5. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Nov 13, 2008 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Nope - Max Lagers is pretty much the only thing and it's pretty mediocre.

In this order (Decatur versus Little 5 is a tough call):
    Go to Little 5 Points for Porter and Wrecking Bar.
    Go to Decatur for Brick Store Pub, Leon's, and Twain's.
    Go to West Midtown for Hop City and Five Season.

If anyone is interested in doing a bottle share, message me.
  6. SeanS

SeanS Feb 13, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm heading into town and wold love to meet up with BA's. Just dropped a couple people a note to see if there was interest. If anyone is interested in a mini-bottle share this weekend, BM me.
  7. ATLbeerDog

ATLbeerDog Nov 12, 2005 Georgia

The ATL beer scene this coming weekend truly shifts to Athens. Aroma's on Friday will have the best tap list in the World starting on Friday (I am 100% correct on this) until kegs kick. Then on Sunday Classic City Brew Fest begins at 2:30pm. Tix might still be available.
    Terrapin8 likes this.
  8. victory4me

Looks like I'm heading to the Brick Store Pub on Monday afternoon to kill time before the game. Anyone who wants to get together and split a bottle of Cantillon, inbox me.
  9. johnking82

May be interested in some bottle shares. A lot depend on if tickets come through and everything. Thanks for all the notes!
  10. victory4me

Looks like Brick Store Pub has an event with Mother Earth at 5pm Monday. Should be able to catch the first hour or two before heading to the Dome.
  11. johnking82

Anything close to the JW Marriot in Buckhead? This ended up being our team hotel.
  12. oconman

oconman Sep 8, 2005 Georgia

Come to CCBF Sunday and stop by the Georgians for World Class Beer table! We're working on lobbying for to-go sales for brewpubs and craft breweries in GA!
  13. gaweso

gaweso Jan 23, 2009 Georgia

When it comes to beer, no. Holeman & Finch has good food and cocktails. Definitely go to Decatur and Little 5 Points. You're right next to the Lenox marta station. The Decatur spots are all next to the Decatur station, the Porter and the Wrecking Bar are a 10-15 minute walk from the Inman Park/Reynoldstown station. If you want to pick up some bottles, Hop City has the best selection (and is conveniently located next door to 5 Seasons), and the two Greens locations will have better prices.
  14. victory4me

Buckhead at least shouldn't be too far from places like Ri Ra, Tap, or The Vortex, where you can at least find some Sweetwater and a few other craft options, right?
  15. johnking82

Thanks, I'll probably venture out Sunday afternoon to most spots.
  16. gaweso

gaweso Jan 23, 2009 Georgia

I guess I should have clarified that you can get craft beer closer to and in Buckhead if you really just want something close by. For an out-of-town visitor who is only here for a few days I really recommend traveling the extra distance to the best places. But you're right, if you just want a bite to eat and a craft beer there are places close by.
  17. victory4me

Agreed, which is why I'll be spending hours at the Brick Store Pub on Monday afternoon.

Just wanted to clarify there are a few places someone can go and drink some Sweetwater at the very least.
  18. johnking82

Ill try to swing by early Monday but gotta be back to the Hotel since I work for the University.
  19. victory4me

If you're there, shoot me a BM and if I'm there, first round is on me...
  20. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

I'll be flying in tomorrow evening and am bringing some bottles to share in my golf travel bag. I was hoping to get together with some BAs for a share sometime on Sunday afternoon/evening either downtown (near my hotel) or out at the Brick Store (or the Porter if they allow sharing). Hit me with a BM if interested. Not sure what I'm bringing yet but I promise it will be some decent stuff!!
  21. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

Bags are packed...have a BB 4 Calling Birds, Alesmith BA Old Numbskull, Abacus (not Sucaba), and a Voodoo Laird's Apple Brandy Big Black Voodoo Daddy in tow. Let me know if you'd like to crack some bottles at some point over the weekend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!