Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_Brodie

Beer Trader

I acknowlwdge everyone in Philly has a something to be proud about. Your #1 for losing in all sports, your #1 for f topping your meals with random fried crap and liquid cheese, and Victory beer is #1 in dust covered bottles where ever it is sold. Their ranch IPA has ranch dressing in it... Ugh those dumb kegs are still wasting tap space from Philly beer week 2012
    someone please look at the breweries taking part of Philly beer week 2013. Why is every other state dominating your lineup? Philly ISO any recognition FT cheeze whiz
    News flash all of the breweries moved out of Philly because the city smells like dumpster juice.

2. dirtylou

Beer Trader

Now I remember why I never go to Philadelphia.

3. dirtylou

Beer Trader

Asheville is wonderful. If its a top 5 beer city in the USA, then we got some serious issues. Fortunately, its not even close.

4. draheim

Beer Trader

Clearly you're a little drunk. If you haven't had anything from Cascade, Upright, Hair of the Dog, Logsdon, Boneyard, Black Raven, or Fremont (among probably a number of others), you're forgiven for making that statement.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  5. Blanco

Beer Trader

Maybe it's just the places I frequented. I spent every weekend for 4 years there while my wife was in school and was never like "goddamn I can't even find a Sam Adams." Maybe that's just Brookline/Alston/Fenway.

6. smakawhat

Subscriber

You need ... to stop talking and giving away all our secrets... SHAME ON YOU!!! ;)

Chaney likes this.
  7. RobertColianni

I can only think of one brewery in the greater Boston area that has national recognition. We have at least four in Philadelphia. When it comes to places to drink we have four of the top one-hundred beer bars in the country according to various lists. Boston claims zero. These two factors alone allow Philadelphia to jump Beanhola on this list.
    Also, jmmy3, you blow. Great points you've provided. Oh, wait...
    Guess we can now claim three trumps over Boston: we have more intelligent people.

cjoc83 likes this.
  8. Blanco

Beer Trader

Relax man, I clearly said "It's not amongst the greats, but as a craft beer drinker there are much worse places."

9. brewsader

Beer Trader

philly would be the best beer city in the world if nobody lived there...

10. jmmy3

Yeah like all those people stabbing each other for dumpster Cheetos, doing the world a favor for sure.

To be fair I'd be bitter too if I had to deal with such terrible sports teams.

11. dirtylou

Beer Trader

Tell me more of these dumpster cheetos...pair well with tired hands?

barleywinefiend likes this.
  12. KevinGordon

Boston Beer Works is awesome though, I must say. But for real, the local bar scene is very underwhelming. Oh but hey, you can get Guinness on tap every-damn-where

13. KevinGordon

Asheville should be top 10 though. I cant say exactly where, but it should be. Much moreso than Boston

14. Blanco

Beer Trader

Sunset Grille, Sunset Cantina, Publick House...Those are pretty top notch.

15. jmmy3

Have you been here recently though? Bars seem to be buying into the craft movement at a rapid rate here now. I can't remember the last time I went out to eat and was unable to find something interesting to drink.

16. SatlyMalty

I'm trying to remember his new name too. I'm thinking that maybe that account was shut down also? If anyone was reading the Letspour thread, he was the sole reason that a number of people vowed to never order from them (Letspour) again. He's incredibly arrogant and he's had Tired Hands before, he just didn't swallow.

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  17. DrtyBvrJuce

2 breweries doesn't make a great beer city. San Diego has 60+ and same near all are making fantastic beer. Another 39 in planning.

18. KevinGordon

Actually no, last time I was there was 2008. I remember hanging out with some friends once, and we went on a beer run. I went into the store alone, and came out with a 12 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager. They were pissed at me for not getting Bud

19. brewsader

Beer Trader

i would absolutely love to know what you know about smithtown.

VonZipper likes this.
  20. sukwonee

Beer Trader

I live in Seattle and I can tell you we should not be listed on this list.

21. ThePorterSorter

Beer Trader

Why didn't you do Seattle/Portland....considering you did Denver/boulder...?

22. Sam_Frank

i'm surprised SF placed that high. of course everyone is going to root for their own city but for my money Los Angeles has SF beat for beer bars

23. jtmartino

Beer Trader

Plus, half of the breweries listed as being "in SF" aren't in the city. Nor are they in the same county. And if you're including Marin, why not include Lagunitas? It's just up the road - where do you draw the line?

If it were my list, Seattle wouldn't be on it. Homerism is funny.

24. feloniousmonk

25. feloniousmonk

Minneapolis is where it's happening.

26. DrLasers

Why the Seattle Hate? I lived in downtown Seattle for a couple of years and can testify that it is a true beer city. And not only is it a beer city but an "old school" beer city. Craft beer and micros have been common place in their bars and stores much longer than most other cities. Here in San Diego there are tons of awesome breweries but the average person is much less into beer than a true Seattlite.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  27. RobertColianni

You're serious, aren't you?
    150+ miles and 3 hours versus 30 miles and 25 minutes...

28. Tballz420

Actually their pot is legalized across the board. Which is the sane position.

But I was just there a couple months ago, and I saw no reason why their beer scene should even be in the top 25

29. draheim

Beer Trader

Maybe you were looking for hipsters standing in line to buy beer. We don't do that here.

30. Tballz420

I'll shoot you a "like," cause I love your work man. We do have a number of great breweries, but I spent 2 days in San Diego, and I can say it aint happening here

31. Tballz420

That's certainly a posibilty, when you consider that the universe presents an infinite array of possibilities, but no, I was't looking for hipsters. I never have, nor will I ever.

feloniousmonk likes this.
  32. ThePorterSorter

Beer Trader

Yep!

~Buffalo to Syracuse sir...150/3...50 mph is impressive as well, when did they squeeze that fifth cylinder into your hybrids (jk).

33. draheim

Beer Trader

You've been to Seattle, so you know more about the possibilities of the universe than most.
    Because its center is located here.

34. Tballz420

Yeah, I spent a couple hours at Fremont. Pretty cool brewery. Comparable to Steel Toe, in St Louis Park, MN. The ole boy that was showing me around your beer scene singled that out as the best you have to offer. I'm not turding on it, its a cool brewery. But if that's the best you got, you're not in the top 10

35. draheim

Beer Trader

Just so you're not confusing the brewery with the beer. And I don't know if it's the best we've got, that's just one man's opinion; but it is a personal favorite. They're only 4 years old, and I think they're just starting to hit their stride.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  36. RobertColianni

I don't understand what you're saying at all. You just compared two ridiculously irrelevant points in order to solidify yours and it didn't work because it doesn't make a lick of sense. Stop wasting our brain cells.
    Denver to Boulder is 30 miles.
    Portland to Seattle is 175 miles.
    Are you intelligent enough to understand that one trip is literally a "quick" drive there and back and the other is a 350 mile ordeal that needs significant planning? How don't you understand the idiocy behind your statement?

37. draheim

Beer Trader

You are aware that Vermont, which received an "honorable mention" on this list, is 160 miles long and 80 miles wide (9,620 square miles total area)? That's more than twice as large as all of San Diego County. And certainly larger than the I-5 corridor between Seattle and Portland.

And, for the record, Denver, Jefferson, and Boulder Counties combined are 1,670 square miles.

38. RobertColianni

I am, but Vermont didn't make the cut and I can sort of rationalize calling it a single bodied economy whereas Seattle and Portland are not.

39. RobertColianni

I hate this list for being the culprit behind this hateful thread. Seriously, Seattle at three, Asheville only an honorable mention on the sole fact that it doesn't have a nationally recognizable powerhouse (yet), Philadelphia not at least being a dash above Boston, and mergers here and there that have no rhyme or reason while other greater metropolitan mergers are completely left out, a homebody vote with a context point of Red Hook and Pike, and I can't even post a comment on the article because I don't have a Facebook account. It's like a kid wrote the article and when realizing he could put a barrier against any respectable adult responding, he jumped all over it. Regardless of Philadelphia being there or not, the only consistency with this list is inconsistency.

40. cavedave

Beer Trader

Yeah , you are second to none, but third to two. IIRC New Jersey has best distro in the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe