Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Finally a good Top 10 Cities list

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MacNCheese, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

Routinely visit family in Phx area(Snottsdale) and like the beer scene. They have a few more expansions since I was last there in 2009. Going back next month for a refresher. Dying to check out some newer spots. Papago is always my go to spot though! Delux has killer burgers.

2. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Same here (wife's family). We should coordinate visits.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  3. miketd

miketd Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I go to NYC a lot a never get thirsty; it's a great beer city as far as I'm concerned. I will admit they are light on good breweries, but watch out for Spider Bite out on Long Island.

As far as Pittsburgh goes, yea, I wish they were better considering how close they are, but not much out there right now.

4. miketd

miketd Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I thought this was about beer? Because if it is, that vid is irrelevant(and made by a local Cleveland comedian just poking fun at the national image).

5. leedorham

You seem upset. It's ok. Your city is a great beer city.

beertunes likes this.
  6. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Dec 10, 2011 California

Why? I have no desire to go to Philly again. I'd rather go to the source of all your great 'distributed' beers.

7. miketd

miketd Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I do? Nah, just trying to keep it on topic. Trust me, if it wasn't for the beer and a good job I would be living out west somewhere.

8. Blanco

Blanco Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Well it's just that it's silly to insult a city you really know nothing about.

Yes others have commented on the distribution and it's great. Not full of old beer from the west coast, or even just beers from the West Coast. It's not the only thing that makes the city great. Again, you should at least have some relevant experience with a city before you comment one way or another.

RobertColianni likes this.
  9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

There are a few small places in Kalamazoo, so it is not just Bells. If you include the county you pick up one or 2 more. Of course the Bells production brewery is in Galesburg, they still make some beer for the pub in Kalmazoo.

10. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

In general I couldn't agree more - Phoenix is a wasteland compared to other metros this size, and is at least a decade or more behind similarly sized metros with a developed brewery scene. Also I'd argue Arizona is far behind in quality, not quantity. It's not like SoCal, Pacific Northwest, etc. where there's a long list of worldclass beers that are sought after from other places. Let's not kid ourselves. There's no Russian River here locally. No Bell's. No Firestone Walker. No Ballast Point. No Founder's. No Allagash. We're not really on the map.

11. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

you got hot chicks though

and really, which would you rather have?

12. yemenmocha

It's not as good as it used to be. I won't explain because we'll get too far off topic. ASU, Tempe & Mill Ave. peaked somewhere in the 90's.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  13. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

"she may be OK for you, but I need a really pretty face"

Beerandraiderfan and yemenmocha like this.
  14. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

When I go back to Phoenix, lived there 1996-2007, I spend most my time between 3 places: Papago: chill place, great selection; Four Peaks: solid line up of beers that go well in AZ, great food, nice set up, good service and Whole Foods Chandler: close to family, pick up food, shop for alcohol and good little bar with some good stuff on tap. Otherwise Phoenix suck for beer, most good stuff is from Colorado and California.

yemenmocha likes this.
  15. nachos

nachos Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Screw it.

If you are to insult someone's intelligence, you really should make sure you spell words correctly, use real words, and use proper grammar. I am afraid you have just lost all credibility.

zach60614 likes this.
  16. yemenmocha

Yes. Of American beers I drink, probably 90% are California & Colorado with a few strays from elsewhere (Bell's). It is a virtue of the state, though, that we have a great selection on the retail shelf. I just don't bother with the local stuff.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  17. brkstoutfiend

brkstoutfiend Feb 5, 2010 Michigan

Alright I'll take the hit for "blatent" but "immediatley" was a typo and "unobjective" is a word. I made my point though annnnnnd.....
    Your a doush.
    How's that for grammar and spelling?? Horrible right? But don't be afraid, I still got my point accross.

18. MacNCheese

The author of the article didn't call Vermont a city....I did to make fun of lumping the entire state the same as a city.

19. leedorham

I'd appreciate it if you got in an argument with nachos.

20. MacNCheese

You'll have to sign into sidedishadvocate.com

21. Etan

Etan Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

How has nobody pointed out that he included Finch's in his list of quality, up-and-coming breweries in Chicago...

22. Monsone

Monsone Jun 5, 2006 Illinois

The whole Chicago write up is garbage, you can tell he has never been here and just went to the "Places" list here on the site and made some shit up. I mean he lists Finch's, misses a bunch of better breweries, and then semi-puts down Goose only to list Redhook as a positive for Seattle.

23. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

I tend to repress particularly painful memories, usually through the consumption of better Chi-based breweries' wares...

Etan likes this.
  24. BigMike

BigMike May 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

Who cares!! Cheers!

25. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Sep 12, 2012 Washington

I'm already a fan boy of their tap handles. Thin with interchangeable magnetic labels. They never pull another tap down with them.

26. zach60614

zach60614 May 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There is no room for humor here.
    BEER IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

27. brkstoutfiend

brkstoutfiend Feb 5, 2010 Michigan

I figured that, I assumed the author gave Waterbury an honorable mention and you were making a funny. Then I went and made a hasty, grammatically incorrect comment about how ignorant he is because he didn't have VT in his top 10 and now you think I thought he actually did that and I never did. Gotta love the interwebs, huh? Anyway, Waterbury should for sure be in any top 10 best beer city list. Despite my obvious lack of internet message board savvy.
    Disclaimer*I'm fully aware that interwebs isn't actually a word.

28. MacNCheese

Lighten up Francis, have a beer.

Beerandraiderfan and Docrock like this.
  29. nachos

nachos Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary

[​IMG]

The word you are looking for is: subjective

[​IMG]

You are welcome. :)

30. MLucky

MLucky Jul 31, 2010 California

Nicely done. We're never going to agree on this kind of ranking, but this strikes me as a defensible list--unlike pretty much every other such list I've ever seen.

31. waltersrj

waltersrj Dec 16, 2010 Washington

For the PnW folks: Why isn't there a Steve Body Brewing Co. yet?

I think this list is pretty solid. I've been to about half the cities on the list and they all seem to sit in correct spots. What people don't realize about Seattle is that we have amazing breweries that just don't bottle. Fantastic draft keeps our beer to ourselves which is nice. More Breweries are bottling or canning every few months though. Ill send the Seattle haters from Philly some Reuben's Brews (6 for 6 in medals in competition), Fremont anything, Two Beers, etc. if you need some good PnW beers :)

distantmantra likes this.
  32. corby112

corby112 Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yes, NJ might have the largest but quantity does equal quality. The selection there is great but I'll take Cigar City, Russian River, FiftyFifty, Dark Horse, Bells, Half Acre and Stillwater over any list of beers available in NJ that don't make it to Philly.

cavedave likes this.
  33. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Vermont's bigger than 30 miles across? :)

Errto likes this.
  34. corby112

Beer Trader

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. We have better distribution of fresh west coast beer than most west coast cities, especially those in CA. I've traded Russian River, Ballast Point and Firestone Walker bottles to CA BAs several times over the years. We continuously get fresh kegs of Elder and Blind Pig and get kegs of Younger as quickly as possible after it's released. When certain bars choose to tap it is another story.

RobertColianni likes this.
  35. corby112

Beer Trader

The title of the thread is misleading considering it's about breweries not cities with the best beer scenes. Even so, it's kind of silly and most of the entries should be replaced.

I'm a Philly homer but have to admit that San Diego is the best beer city that I've been to and I can't wait to go back at the end of March. That being said, Denver is the only other city that I've been to that I would compare with Philadelphia. We are lacking in breweries inside the city limits but the distribution and number of craft beer bars is extraordinary. I've been to Seattle and while it is one of the coolest cities I've visited, the beer scene was a bit of a let down. There are some really cool places like Pine Box, Chuck's 85th, The Wurst Place and Noble Fir, but none except Brouwers really stood out as being exceptional. Even Brouwers bottle list(at least when I went) left a little to be desired. Tons of bottle but aside from PNW locals and few others most could be found in this area.

I've never been to Portland(or anywhere in OR) or Asheville but I'm looking forward to visiting both cities.

36. corby112

Beer Trader

I should add that what I did appreciate about Seattle was the heavy focus on local quality beers. Some of the best stuff I had during my visit were local/PNW drafts from Double Mountain, Fremont, Boneyard and Hopworks.

37. Docrock

Docrock Jan 21, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The second one is funnier!

38. Docrock

Docrock Jan 21, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If that's the criteria, then Louisville, KY must be number 1. Just left Sergio's...over 1400 different beers available...and no BMC. Had A glass of Cuvée Delphine followed by Narwhal on tap and I'm just visiting!

39. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Jan 17, 2013 California

Other than FW fucking over SD no one here should be trading for SD beer.

Else, pretty funny. SD doesn't need to rely on 'distribution' for quality beer. Enjoy your shitty winter.

40. Blanco

Blanco Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

C'mon man. It's not like you brew the beer yourself. Everyone in this thread needs to recognize that living in a great beer city is a good thing, but don't act like you built it.

HopHead84 and Beerandraiderfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe