Finally A Poo-Bah: Thank You All!

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Rug, Feb 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,228) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I just realized while browsing the forums that my beer karma tipped over 1500, officially making me a Poo-Bah. I've been loving this community for years now and just wanted to thank everyone on here. I'm approaching 1000 reviews, and have something awesome planned for that. I know that this post is pointless, but it's cool for me to get my thoughts out there. Be warned, there's a lot to read.

I wanted to share a few memories, mostly chronologically, of my BA journey from over the years:
    • Browsing BA while it was slow at my retail job before actually making an account, just looking for new beers to try with my friends on the weekend. This led to a lot of Stone, DFH, Lagunitas, Sam Adams, etc.
    • My first review when I joined the site was 90 Minute IPA. It's a terrible review, but it got me on the right track of reviewing many beers to come. I should revisit that review, I would probably score it higher now
    • Getting Sour Monkey and Foolproof's Mango Vango as a birthday gift really opened my eyes to the world of Kettle Sours, which would lead to actual spontaneous Wild Ales. That mostly started with Almanac's Sournova series and others they make, with a special shoutout to Allagash's Nancy (my intro to Americanized Lambic)
    • CBS. Tried it in late 2019. It was my favorite beer then, and it still remains there over 2 years later
    • I posted in the forums infrequently in my early years, but always read them along with reviews to build my beer knowledge base
    • The pandemic caused me to start buying local, which led to my first trip to Tree House. Those NEIPAs changed the games for me. King Julius is one of my favorites, still sitting at the bottom of my top 10 all time
    • I also visited Jack's Abby (along with Springdale) around the same time which birthed my love of lagers. Now I search for quality American examples of several lager styles, along with the traditional versions
    • Late in 2020, I finally joined the Society here. Felt it was necessary to support the site that built up all of my beer knowledge. I was more active in the forums at this point, and my reviewing really started to hone in around then
    • The Extreme Beer Fest and IPA Fest in Cyberspace were super fun times. Drunk nights with my friend and good beer
    • I graduated college in May 2021, and with a career, found myself with more money to buy good beer :grin:
    • Given this new job and being done with school, I started to browse the forums mostly every day
    • In August 2021, me and @Pru decided, basically on a whim, to start homebrewing. We've brewed 3 beers so far, an English Pale Ale that was solid, a Hefeweizen that impressed us and others (especially given the disastrous brew day), and a Brut IPA which was just mehh. We hope to brew more soon
    • On my search for rare and fun beer, Utopias was a highlight. I was very happy with that find, and it was a fun bottle (but necessary to split)
    • I started trading in September 2021, which has been a really fun way to get my hands on beers I don't have access to. My first trade (first 2 actually) managed to pull in Fou' Foune, a beer I've wanted for a long time. Shoutout to @fo1ksguitar and @fo5s. It was a mindblowing experience, and my second highest rated beer ever. I need more Lambic. Also shoutout to my other trade partners so far, @merpunk1 and @zid for my first in-person trade
    • Currently, I'm in the midst of my first BIF. Seems like a fun new side to the site. Shoutout to @BigIronH for getting me into that
    • And now (well, in a few weeks) I'll hit beer 1000 like I said, another great milestone
    • I'll keep reviewing after that, and keep contributing to the forums. I hope to see all of you stick around for a while. Again, awesome community here
    TLDR: I felt like looking back on my beer/BA journey and talk about how much I love it here. Cheers y'all! :beers:

2. Pru

Pru Initiate (143) Sep 14, 2021 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Congrats buddy! Poo-bah-iest poo-bah I know

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Long, but awesome to read. Congrats and thanks for your contributions.

4. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,896) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Excellent young man, the only thing I would disapprove in your OP is that it’s « pointless ».

The BA journey is NEVER pointless, and I’ve made similar posts in the past. Got plenty of support, too.

Cheers to the best online community on the internet!

5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Well put.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Peach63 and 12 others like this.
  6. Rug

Society Trader

Yeah you got a fair point there haha. Only said that because I know there's gotta be someone out there that will roll their eyes at this post :joy:

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Peach63 and 8 others like this.
  7. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,896) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

The one who roll his eyes at this post will be stared down.

That’s my daily pun. Cheers man.

8. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,265) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

I joined in 2012 and was immediately intimidated by everyone here.

I still am, but now I don't care what people think about my reviews.

Not sure what my first review was. Maybe something from Hill Farmstead. Or Sam Adams. Either way I have over 1700 reviews now so I ultimately found a hobby, of sorts.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Peach63 and 17 others like this.
  9. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,816) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Glad to be a part of your story.
    Sounds like it would be an appropriate ceremony to revisit 90 Minute with an updated review right after you hit 1000.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, cjgiant and 15 others like this.
  10. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,384) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Congrats on the achievement! I'm currently trying to decide which beer to review for #1500, which will be done tonight! Cheers to many more years as a contributor to this fantastic community!

11. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Congratulations, you sound like you have kept an open mind while exploring the beer world

12. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Poo-Bah (1,744) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Congratulations, no need to apologize for the post. , I love to read posts like this. it's part of what makes this a great community.

13. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (10,512) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

At lot of steps in our beer journey’s at the time seem insignificant but really enrich it *holds back Grandpa Simpsonesque ramble*.
    Sometimes we even think of our Beer Journey as trivial, but fermenting grain to make ale is what got the human race civilised!

#13 EmperorBevis, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I approve this post. Congratulations!

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Peach63 and 10 others like this.
  15. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,690) Jan 18, 2003 Wisconsin
    Society

Who's going to teach him the secret knock for the clubhouse? Also needs to get fitted for the jacket :stuck_out_tongue:

16. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,085) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Welcome to the club and never stop learning and appreciating. Beer is magical. Lots of fantastic people here taught me as well on my journey and are still respected

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, ChicagoJ and 9 others like this.
  17. Urk1127

Society Trader

* the secret knock is a series of yodels*

Whyteboar, Shanex, Redrover and 5 others like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I thought it was ring dings. Shrugs. :wink:

19. Urk1127

Society Trader

Anybody who has not seen the movie Beerfest is missing out but fair warning it has its highly inappropriate moments

Whyteboar, ChicagoJ, Shanex and 4 others like this.
  20. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,727) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Congrats to you, and welcome to the club. Your post is enough to tell me that you'll fit in nicely. :slight_smile:

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, BigIronH and 6 others like this.
  21. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (376) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Congrats on your start in enjoying beers and becoming a Poo Bah . Excellent post. You have great taste in beer . I see you as a beer ambassador and possible BA moderator.

#21 Rollmeaway2loadout, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Whyteboar, Shanex, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  22. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,909) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Congrats! :beers:

Whyteboar, Shanex and Rug like this.
  23. Resistance88

Resistance88 Defender (652) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Initiates arm yourselves and prepare to attack!!
    Oh crap, I'm an aspirant now:sob::tired_face:

24. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (692) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Congrats! Nice job reaching Poo-Bah in four years, I've managed only one third of that. Your wish we'll stay around will be fulfilled!

Whyteboar, Shanex, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  25. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,120) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Wicked good job!

26. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,657) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Congrats, sir. However, you must now take part in Poo-Bah tradition and join us for a beer at the virtual bar, i.e., WBAYDN forum. Yeah, I just made that up, but I'm the Hunter, so it's allowed. Hope to see you soon. Peace...

27. Rug

Society Trader

That's a fantastic idea Chris. I know I'm definitely ending that night with a Fou' Foune as a celebration as well
    I look forward to seeing which beer you choose to review for your milestone!
    High compliments my friend, thank you!

28. Rug

Society Trader

I can respect that :wink: I'll pop in tonight or tomorrow for sure, cheers!

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Shanex and 6 others like this.
  29. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (12,637) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

Congratulations @Rug Thanks for your post and contributions a true. Advocate ! Thanks also for you "written" reviews i see many on your profile.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Shanex and 9 others like this.
  30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Big ol' congratulations.

I remember hitting Poo-Bah. Then I realized you have to keep engaging to learn. I talk to people weekly who know well and above what I do about beer.

Enjoy that 1k review. I followed in @superspak 's lead and track my 100 reviews in my profile. Fun looking back at those, but the 1k intervals are the ones that mean the most to me.

Funny enough, I have a single bottle of the beer I reviewed first on this site. That review is terrible. I've been intending to revisit the review when I open that bottle. I've learned a lot since those first reviews. It sounds like you recognize the same improvement in yourself, which is great.

Cheers.

Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, Rug and 10 others like this.
  31. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (9,203) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Welcome to the exulted ranks!!!

Whyteboar, sulldaddy, Rug and 5 others like this.
  32. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,962) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Congrats! Make sure you let them know your hat size for the Fez. It's real nice, but I particularly liked the steak knives, real nice set.

Whyteboar, spicoli00, dcotom and 9 others like this.
  33. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (10,512) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

I not only really like your post but I think it highlights an important note.

I think as a beer community it is important not to fall into the negative trappings of the wine & whisky connoisseur sets (I don’t know about Bourbon appreciation societies) and choose snobbery above being supportive & encouraging.

#33 EmperorBevis, Feb 9, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    Whyteboar, DrOfGolf, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  34. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I missed seeing my status "turn over" too, Didn't used to pay attention to it. But now at Poo Bah I actually do feel like I've been around a while, and done and learned enough stuff to deserve to feel good about that. Those things certainly apply to you. Thanks for your contributions, and Congrats!

One piece of advice, don't bother trying to get the Fez, I've been trying for years. :grin:
    Indeed. I'm a forager and I have to be involved with lots of groups and people to learn more, and to keep track of how seasons go so as to know what/when to go. The snobs among mushroom people is beyond nuts. The worst snobs are the ones who only have intermediate amounts of knowledge. I can only imagine wine to be like that. Glad to say the level of snobbery here on BA is quite low.

#34 cavedave, Feb 9, 2022
  35. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (3,022) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

@Rug: Your up-beat enthusiasm is refreshing. In this thread and elsewhere.

And it is GREAT to read all the positive feedback this thread is generating. Prost to your journey thus far, and cheers to the adventures ahead!

Whyteboar, sulldaddy, Rug and 8 others like this.
  36. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Poo-Bah (1,981) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Great post!
    Except for the “I know that this post is pointless…” phrase. Everything that you cover in the post has connectivity to a GOOD point; it’s all RELATABLE!
    Reflecting on some of my terrible reviews is thought provoking.
    I treaded on BA for nearly a decade before signing on in 2011. Once on board, it took a while to feel the fit.
    Even with recently crossing the poo-bah line, I’m still learning with every new beer related experience. And enjoying it, too.
    BA has evolved nicely.

All the best!

#36 NiceTaps, Feb 10, 2022
  37. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,850) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Congratulations! It was fun reading about your BA journey. I think we can all relate to much of it. One of my favorite parts of BA is participating in the NBW thread every weekend. I learn so much from the reviews and there's great camaraderie. Cheers, Boo-Bah!

jonphisher, Whyteboar, Rug and 5 others like this.
  38. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,246) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Congratulations :beers:

Whyteboar, Rug, PapaGoose03 and 4 others like this.
  39. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,356) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Congrats on your achievement!!
    This site is kind of addictive not in a bad way.
    Welcome, fellow Poo-Bah!

Let the hazing ritual commence!:wink:

40. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,523) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I love this post...

I felt the same way when I flipped the Poobah meter as you do... and I still do.. I have met in person very few people from this site but feel like I know many of them just from having read their reviews and posts...I visit the site everyday if for nothing but to " see what's going on in here..."

Welcome to the club!

Whyteboar, Junior, Harrison8 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.