Firestone Beer Maker Donates $250,000 to Trump

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by MrDave, May 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDave

MrDave Disciple (385) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Trader

As a punk kid I drank DBA with friends on the central coast of California, right in between both of Firestone's original locations. Back then the locals called Double Barrel Ale simply "Firestone". These days, Luponic and Easy Jack are almost always in my refrigerator. Parabola was the first russian imperial stout I have ever had and continues to be the beer I measure other good barrel-aged stouts up against. It goes without saying that these guys have been a big part of my beer-life.

After nearly 20 years of support, I will no longer be supporting Firestone Walker. I will certainly miss their beers, but lucky for me, there's plenty of great beer out there.

http://www.independent.com/news/2017/may/03/firestone-beer-maker-donates-250000-trump/

Photoglyph, BStrummin, Radcpa and 4 others like this.
  2. medb

medb Initiate (52) Aug 27, 2013 California

That's a lot of golf.
    Anyway, it was a trust that made the donation. The thread title is a bit like those facebook posts that people like without reading.

#2 medb, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (164) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Why not?

4. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (227) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

This is funny. Since your on a bender like the rest of the left coast, feel free to send me all your Parabola, Parabajava, Sucaba, Wookey Jack, and any other limited distribution stouts, strong ales, barleywines, and wild ales. Because if you're not going to drink it somebody will, and that somebody might as well be me.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,147) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

As was previously mentioned, it was Rock Hollow 2013 Trust which made the donation.

How about discussing a more germane topic like: why do Firestone Walker beers on local, beer retailer shelves always seem to be old? That is something worthwhile to discuss.

Cheers!

6. MrDave

Trader

Start the thread.

Photoglyph likes this.
  7. scream

scream Meyvn (1,123) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Maybe MrDave does not like the Trumpster. One does not support those who have lost their respect. I respect their right to make the donation and they should respect one's right to disagree and no longer buy the product.

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,147) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I thought I did already?:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

9. MrDave

Trader

There's plenty of great beer out there and I'd prefer not to give my money to any group or business that has financial ties to this administration, including the transaction from the trust that Adam Firestone sits on. That's all.

10. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (799) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

11. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,065) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

Ah, okay. Good for you. More beer for the rest of us :grinning:

A level-headed response regarding political beliefs? How dare you?! This is 2017, we're all supposed to be as divisive as possible!!:wink:

12. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (246) Mar 28, 2011 New York

They just lost me as a customer too - not that they have a great presence out here anyway.

Photoglyph and MrDave like this.
  13. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (107) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

That'll show him.

14. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (957) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

15. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,110) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. Love FW beer, makes me like the brewery even more now. If you can spread this news across NYC, hopefully I can get more Parabola next year or maybe people will return their unopened bottles to the stores now.

Thread will destruct in 5,4,3,2......

icetrauma, Reema, HermitDan and 7 others like this.
  16. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (799) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

This literally doesn't matter AT ALL. You can't agree about everything with everyone. Look at this way: You're at a sporting event for your favorite team. 50,000 fans all united cheering on the same team. Half of those people didn't vote for the same thing you did... WHO CARES?!?!

Reema, blueaquatiger, Brolo75 and 7 others like this.
  17. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (436) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

this is funnier. the only thing you came up with in response was to casually, broad-stroke insult an entire region. hopefully you didn't break all your crayons while assembling such a colorful reply.:rolling_eyes:

18. BWood

BWood Defender (644) Jan 4, 2015 California

let's try to leave the politics out of beer. If you choose to not support a brewery because of who they donate to then just don't buy their product. No need to start a thread. This thread will not lead to any positive discussion.

19. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,152) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

It's your beer money, do what you think best.

Photoglyph and MrDave like this.
  20. MrDave

Trader

No problem. Happy to get the word out. Maybe tell all your friends.

21. jemwilson

jemwilson Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2014 California

An official statement from Firestone Walker Brewing Company:
    We want you to know that we value your concern. We do invite you to take a look at the following background on this matter to help inform your opinion, which we will respect either way.

http://www.firestonebeer.com/brewery/firestone-statement.php

22. MrDave

Trader

I do. This isn't about team red vs team blue.

Photoglyph likes this.
  23. CarolusP

It's a sad commentary on modern political discourse that the brewery even has to issue a statement for something as stupid as this.

dirtyfab, tzieser, HermitDan and 7 others like this.
  24. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (246) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I think this is important enough and certainly related to the beer industry so it's worth a thread.

25. MrDave

Trader

Good on FW for releasing a statement on the matter.

26. BWood

The donation was not done by the firestone walker company. It was by a personal citizen trust who happens to be associated with the company. That's like saying it would be important to note that a janitor at lagunitas donated to Hillary so we should boycott their beer.

27. CarolusP

I have to bite...

Why is this important? And why is it related to the beer industry? The brewery didn't make the donation. The founder did with his own money. Do all brewing industry employees need to undergo a political litmus test in order to shield their respective breweries from these "Outrage of the Day" boycotts?

dirtyfab, Reema, tzieser and 8 others like this.
  28. MrDave

Trader

Equating the founder of the brewery to the janitor is a bit of a stretch, no?

Photoglyph, rozzom and ecpho like this.
  29. BWood

Both are employees of the company. More alike than dislike.

30. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

As expected, this thread has strayed from its topic (I took out the trash). And a representative of Firestone Walker has also posted their response. Let's move on.

http://www.firestonebeer.com/brewery/firestone-statement.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.