Firestone Walker Brewing Company and Duvel Moortgat combine operations

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by gyoungit, Jul 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Savant (1,227) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

Uh, because they are?

2. Akerstache

Akerstache Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Germany

Huh, that is interesting to know. I knew Liefman's was part of Duvel now but I didn't know they actually brought back Goudenband (hope it's good, I still have a bottle lying around but I haven't tried it yet). I haven't had any Ommegang or Boulevard but I do like myself some Liefman's, Duvel and FW so yeah I guess I'm on the "this sounds like an overall positive" side.

3. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Unfortunately this doesn't necessarily mean nationwide distro. We still don't get Boulevard stuff here in Pittsburgh. I don't know if its because the wholesalers don't have the rights to the subsidiaries or more of a production issue.

Would love to have fresh Double Jack on the shelves though. Fingers crossed.

4. jcos

jcos Pundit (761) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I think these partnerships are fine. I'm more concerned if/when the original people who started the brewery with the original vision move on or retire - who is guiding the brewery from then on?

This would apply to any brewery though, not just one that sold to Duvel.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The deal also moves Duvel Moortgat USA from #12 to #7 on the B.A.'s "Top 50 Craft Brewers" (based on 2014's figures, of course) - behind Yuengling, BBC, SN, New Belgium, Gambrinus and Lagunitas - nearly doubling their US barrelage to 443k bbl.

BartS, aratcliffe, luwak and 4 others like this.
  6. Stignacious

Stignacious Pooh-Bah (1,764) Aug 24, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't know if it actually does, to be honest. When Duvel merged with Boulevard, there were rumors of Tank 7, Double-Wide, 80 acre, etc... finally making it to NY. That has yet to happen (At least where I am Upstate). However, Ommegang's portfolio has expanded more rapidly and in more inventive ways than in previous years with no drop in quality. If anything, this would turn out be the perfect change for the markets FW already distributes to, but perhaps because of their reputation and profile, increased market presence would be a must.

foundersfan1, drtth and DerelictPI like this.
  7. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

http://www.alchemyandscience.com/about/

-The Traveler beer company
    -Angel city brewery
    -Coney Island brewing
    -Concrete beach brewery

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Actually, Boulevard was second so FW is number three, here in the U.S.

#68 drtth, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  9. jcos

jcos Pundit (761) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

People are excited that this could mean more of the rare beers..I want to mention that Firestone Walker Pale 31 is awesome and only 4.9%.

10. rmank

rmank Savant (1,117) Mar 26, 2012 South Carolina

Hope you're right

BMBCLT likes this.
  11. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

My hopes are high, especially since we get Boulevard now.

rmank likes this.
  12. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Pooh-Bah (1,945) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

If the D-M "partnership" with Ommegang showed us anything, get ready for higher prices. I recall Ommegang prices going up substantially, nearly 25% across the board. The DM VP of Marketing was even on record stating how American beer consumers needed to be "trained" to pay higher prices for good beer. So, yeah, screw D-M.

mmmbirra and jmdrpi like this.
  13. mackeyse

mackeyse Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 New York

Man enough of the "will FW make it to my state now?" Or "will I have still have to trade for xy beer" posts. No one on this thread has the foggiest idea what your state will get! This just was announced!

14. rmank

rmank Savant (1,117) Mar 26, 2012 South Carolina

Yeah I actually saw a Boulevard variety pack at my local Food Lion yesterday and literally said "DAFUQ" out loud....

creepinjeeper and BMBCLT like this.
  15. Techichi

Techichi Pooh-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2012 Texas
    Pooh-Bah

lol...I love all the "should I be mad?" posts. Especially on FB. "Can someone tell me if I need to be mad about this?" "Hurumph? Hurumph?" Jesus.

I just hope this means that we get more than six of the Vintage series from FW.

16. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Pooh-Bah (2,057) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As long as this means fresher Double Jack to VA, I'm cool with it. I'm getting tired of not buying any due to the 2-3 month old bottle dates that continuously put on our shelves.

17. drtth

In Memoriam

I'm not sure we can say this since the agreement isn't public and there might well be a statement in the "partnership" agreement that F&W continue to be in creative control as long as they continue to have an interest in the Company.

18. RKP1967

RKP1967 Savant (1,126) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

And yet, you can get a six pack of Duvel in Belgium for less than 7 Euros. Sounds like he's not practicing what he preaches.

19. drtth

In Memoriam

Within less than two months of the merger, we were seeing Boulevard (e.g., Tank 7) in the Philly market, which is big enough that it is a distribution magnet (e.g., we already get many FW beers here).

So I'm thinking the rumors you heard were a lot of wishful thinking with a modest touch of reality mixed in. But no brewery can expand distribution just by flipping switch. So given some time for FW to engage in planned, staged growth while maintaing quality I'd guess you might get to see some there, just not in the immediate future. Personally, I think what we saw with Ommegang is happening now with Boulevard and will be happening with FW.

20. drtth

In Memoriam

Do you also get Ommegang?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.