Firestone Walker Introduces "Citra" Single-Hop Hazy IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,962) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

New Limited-Edition Propagator Series Beer Available in “Crafted Thru Hops” Mixed Can Pack

Paso Robles, CA: From Firestone Walker’s Propagator R&D brewhouse in Venice, California comes Citra—the next limited-edition release in the new Propagator Series, available exclusively in the latest “Crafted Thru Hops” mixed pack.

The new Crafted Thru Hops mixed pack—12 x 12-ounce cans—also includes Flyjack, Firestone Walker’s new 96-calorie hazy IPA; Mind Haze, the brewery’s original hazy IPA phenomenon; and the West Coast IPA legend known as Union Jack. It is rolling out to all Firestone Walker markets starting this week.

Citra Hazy IPA: Limited Single-Hop Release
    The Citra hop is a bold, grapefruit-driven citrus bomb with an appealing pungent edge, earning it a place in Brewmaster Matt Brynildson’s “holy trinity of New World IPA hops.” In Brynildson’s words, “With as popular as Citra has become, this beer was a bit of a no-brainer. But the real reason we made this beer is that we’ve been doing a lot of single-hop pilot brews at the Propagator and Citra stood out as a favorite among our brewers. It does magical things in combination with our newly adopted hazy yeast, so I think this beer offers its own distinct twist on the Citra hop.”

Flyjack: Crafted for Adventure
    Everything you want from a hazy IPA with nothing to weigh you down. This is Flyjack, Firestone Walker’s new 96-calorie beer. With Flyjack, Brynildson and his team created what many thought impossible: a full-flavored hazy IPA that flies under 100 calories. In his words, “We wanted to prove that you don’t have to sacrifice flavor for calories.”

Mind Haze: Let Your Mind Wander
    From the coast of California comes Mind Haze, a free-spirited beer made to elevate your perceptions—juicy, fresh and loaded with an imaginative array of tropical hop flavors. This is a hazy IPA done the Firestone way, created after a full year of experimentation. Mind Haze is ultimately a beer that breaks the mold with explosive hop aromas, a luscious texture and enduring freshness.

Union Jack: Loud & Proud
    Huge flavor that packs a punch. This is Union Jack—an icon of the West Coast IPA style, for those who like their beer loud and proud. Union Jack is the IPA that helped blaze the trail for the revolutionary West Coast style. Named for the British Lion who cofounded our brewery, Union Jack is hopped to high hell yet eminently balanced from start to finish. A fad-proof IPA for any hop head.

https://www.firestonebeer.com

###

redeemer, SFACRKnight and eppCOS like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,002) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Sure wish this one was standalone. Not a fan of 2 out of the 4, so will debate getting this one based on feedback when folks buy.

jasonmason, ESHBG and einhorn like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,401) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Am I the only one getting a bit tired of the haze bombs? I like one every now and then, and I think some smell better than they taste, I find them a bit astringent and about gives me heartburn every now and then. They’re always a one and done, I also find them a bit heavy and overly filling.

dukeandduke likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup. I enjoy drinking one but I have zero desire for a second. IMO this is a non-good sign.
    Bingo!
    Ah, maybe? I more often than not enjoy the aroma and the flavor but still - one and done.
    I kinda/sorta think I understand what you are getting at here? I find that some are 'chalky' but that is the minority case for me.
    I already said "yes" to this above.

I have yet to see that there is a 'trend' away from the Hazy beers yet. It seems that the millennials think differently here?

Cheers!

@rotsaruch

dukeandduke and nc41 like this.
  5. nc41

Society Trader

I’d be like really good with fresh Double Jack, all this other stuff imo is ridiculous, they’re chasing a trend. Fresh Union Jack, fresh Double Jack, and Pivo. All they need on the hoppy side.

dukeandduke and hillind like this.
  6. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Disciple (329) Jan 25, 2016 California
    Trader

Amen.

nc41 likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Amen.

I have not purchased 6-packs of Pivo Pils in years. It is either absent or when there too old.

Cheers!

dukeandduke likes this.
  8. Casterbridge

Casterbridge Disciple (385) Mar 26, 2010 Connecticut

I'd also include Leo vs. Ursus: Fortem on that list. That was a fine beverage.

dukeandduke likes this.
  9. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (63) Dec 5, 2019

I love single hop Citra beers, so this I will try for sure.
    Man do I miss Otter Creek Citra Mantra.

dukeandduke likes this.
  10. nc41

Society Trader

It’s been many years ago, I was home visiting my parents and Trenton Road Tavern had some Double Jack as fresh as you can hope to find, I’ve never seen it here. I wish FW took their supply train to the consumer as seriously as Larry Bell does, they’re certainly big enough and wield enough power beers in their portfolio they should be able to flex some muscle. Hard to believe they don’t care, but their products being as old as they are is a common thing most everywhere outside of their own backyard. It’s certainly not a secret that they need more aggressive management of their beers.

11. JackHorzempa

Society

While it may be hard to believe, I can only rationalize that maintaining fresh product on retailers' shelves is not a priority for them. Since I am a fan of beers like Union Jack, Pivo Pils, etc. I think this a damn shame but on the bright side there are lots of other high quality beers available for me to buy. My last purchase was a 6-pack of Two Hearted and those beers were bottled on 3/18/20. Less than a month old.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

dukeandduke and nc41 like this.
  12. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (359) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

When you say “chasing a trend” you mean actually wanting to make money? There’s a reason they axe certain brands and add other’s you know. Yes everyone bemoans the lack of Pivo but Pivo also takes 2-3 times as long to make and when sales volume of other brands is considerably better its hard not to invest in those brands. Cause you know they’re trying to stay afloat in a crazy market.

805 is a ridiculous percentage of they volume. I can’t remember what but I think 60% or more. That’s why you don’t get Fresh Pivo. Also 75% if their business is on the West Coast.

Here’s a great article with some insight. The “trend chasing” Mind Haze was one of the biggest reasons for their success in 2019. I don’t love it but for a mass distributed hazy beer I’d reach for that in a pinch over most others. Stoked to try their Citra hazy beer. The hops they select are the peak of the peak. Gonna bet it’s better than most all Citra hopped beers available anywhere.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/fire...trong-2019-with-805-mind-haze-and-flyjack-ipa

https://vinepair.com/articles/hop-take-firestone-walkers-805-sales/

13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,843) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Had Double Jack about 4 years ago when I was in Napa and was just blown away by how good it was. @nc41 I tend to agree with you on most of the haze bombs, but I have found the ones that are packaged by the larger breweries to be more of a mix between east/west coast. They still retain some bitterness on the finish and they aren't overloaded with hops so much you get that astringent hop burn.

dukeandduke, nc41 and ESHBG like this.
  14. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,142) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I'd rather see Pale 31 or DBA again but ok

dukeandduke likes this.
  15. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yep. And what determines chasing a trend vs making a style that could have staying power? At one time IPAs were a trend too. It would be silly not to make what people are drinking and what could end up being around for a while.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  16. ben4unc

ben4unc Initiate (184) Feb 28, 2013 North Carolina

I love Citra and will try this new FW beer! I really enjoyed the Hazy lo cal Fly Jack!

dukeandduke likes this.
  17. nc41

Society Trader

Why distribute beers that you don’t care about just die on the shelf? FW has a bad reputation for having old beer on the shelf. If your not going to manage it, then keep it to an area where you can do that. Bells does a good job here because Larry Bell cares, and I can buy his beers fresh in a gas station.

Nothing against making a buck, but to keep pushing out new hazy beers is ridiculous. Your staple IPAS are Union Jack and Double Jack , ones always old stock, the other newly back into distro, but has the same history. Makes no sense to me. If you don’t want to manage the business contract it back to the west coast.,

dukeandduke likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

Dale, you speak the truth here.

Maybe you should copy and paste the above and send it directly to Adam Firestone and David Walker.

But think about this since they may indeed decide to ‘consolidate’ their beers to the Western US.

Cheers!

dukeandduke likes this.
  19. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (156) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

It's a shame they pushed this into their variety pack. If I recall correctly they've been called out several times for putting older cans of union Jack into this variety pack before. As in the other beers are 6 weeks+older compared to the single hop or the rotating IPA series.

I agree with the sentiment here that they tend to have old beer coming "fresh" to shelves. I don't think it's really a dig at the company as much as it is bemoaning the lost opportunity to have their killer IPAs fresh. I only buy singles of their beer for this reason.

dukeandduke likes this.
  20. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (139) Jan 8, 2015 California

DBA is still being brewed. I see it now and again. Fresh Pale 31 is an ale I would reach for, but it's never coming back.

dukeandduke and tzieser like this.
  21. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,142) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I’m surprised they don’t brew it for the taproom or something like that. I’d buy a crowler if I were a local, for sure!

mogulskier, dukeandduke and deanzaZZR like this.