Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest 2015

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Briesch, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aquazr1

aquazr1 Defender (677) Jul 27, 2013 California

There is a bottle share at the Adelaide both in the pool area and the picnic area.

Just a heads up, it is supposed to be in the 90's next weekend. Expect it to be warm and sunny.

2. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 California

maybe, but uber/taxi over to adelaide for a way bigger share! i like small and intimate shares all year, but this weekend is for blowing it the fuck up.
    And the folks at adelaide are super nice about us being there, they allow us to drink in the pool area until, IIRC, around 11pm last year before moving to the rooms. there's always some drunk asshole breaking glass and knocking shit over in the pool area, and I got way more pissed off than the staff cleaning it up! super nice ladies.

gregoryG and DCLAguy11 like this.
  3. skourtis

skourtis Initiate (109) Sep 1, 2006 Oregon

This is my second year attending as I had a blast last year. I am staying at the Adelaide with my wife and we both loved the bottle share by the pool (the grassy knoll share was a little too bro-y) and the spillover to the rooms was ridiculous (SARA bottles were a-flowing). I will be bringing some De Garde bottles, some 3-Way IPA cans and maybe a growler to share. Any other requests from the Portland area?

4. LCC

LCC Aspirant (203) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I guess since Notorious will be on at the fest, if Hop Venom growlers come up this week...
    Oh, if it's no hassle, break into Wolves and People and bring down whatever's lying around.

5. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Devotee (452) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

I'm at the Adelaide, too. In honor of FFF, I'll be bringing some suds from that brewery, like ZD and Behemoth.

6. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 California

block 15! oops thats not portland

7. funbutt88

funbutt88 Initiate (0) May 22, 2006 California

They're cool with people coming from other hotels to party there?

8. gregoryG

gregoryG Aspirant (205) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Trader

definitely, there will be hundreds of people there and half of them wont be staying at Adelaide.

funbutt88 likes this.
  9. OnlyGoodBeerMatters

OnlyGoodBeerMatters Initiate (0) May 26, 2015 California

Let me know if anyone wants to join a carpool / bus ride from San Francisco or Mountain View. Easy way to get down & back without having to get a hotel or drive drunk. Less than $70/person.

10. pumptrick

pumptrick Initiate (178) Oct 26, 2010 California

Shit happens at the pool, things get broke and spilled. I went and got the broom and dust pan last year. The ladies are super cool about it all. Would like to avoid too much breakage though. It is too chill of a vibe to get angry. All I saw was smiles! Can't wait for this to go down. Cheers!

wethorseblanket and Trio2shine like this.
  11. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2008 California

Latest point forecast (Tuesday night update) from NOAA is 89 degrees F on Saturday.
    Will update as the weekend draws nigh.

12. OUJayhawk1799

OUJayhawk1799 Devotee (487) Jan 25, 2013 Oklahoma
    Trader

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to make the bottle share, but I'll throw in a bunch of Prairie beers in the off chance I'm able to make it work. I know Prairie is somewhat distributed to Cali, but we do get a few specialty releases here that don't make it out of Oklahoma.

13. wethorseblanket

I'm sure you will, as there will be bottle shares Friday night and Saturday night, at various hotels and houses.

OUJayhawk1799 likes this.
  14. jeff1973

jeff1973 Savant (910) Aug 10, 2010 California

I don't think I will be any good Sat night, even after a nap and some food.

I guess I will look for one going on Fri night. Does anybody have suggestions closer to me (Hampton Inn) than the Adelaide?

15. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2009 Illinois

I've enjoyed plenty of 'Todd the Axe Man' on draft here in Chicago. Let's just say Surly Abrasive is a top 3 DIPA for me and 'Todd' manages to edge it out. So excited to taste this one again in the warm California sun!

And 'Focal Banger' manages to outshine Heady for me. I got a fresh can in a trade a year ago and it blew my mind. I feel like they'll surprise with a keg of Heady, but I'll be looking for Focal.

OUJayhawk1799 likes this.
  16. cguido1

cguido1 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2010 California

I guess Adelaide is the place to be if you want to partake in an epic bottle share...def something to consider. Not sure if I'll be down to continue onto Saturday night but am considering Friday definitely for bottle sharing. I'd prefer something a wee bit less crazy than what Adelaide seems to be so if anyone staying at the Courtyard want to start one there, please let me know! If not, I guess I'll be joining the rest of the crowd.

Jeff1973, the Hampton seems closer to you than the Adelaide...maybe that's another thing that could be arranged.

17. 1424IpA

1424IpA Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California

The pourhouse had seconds last year.

18. 1424IpA

The wont bring heady,

19. 1424IpA

Which Hampton are u talking about?

20. OUJayhawk1799

OUJayhawk1799 Devotee (487) Jan 25, 2013 Oklahoma
    Trader

Just got into town from Oklahoma tonight. We figured we'd start at FW.

Velvet Merkin
    [​IMG]

BradleyR, Penguin, smithj2154 and 2 others like this.
  21. CAcker

CAcker Initiate (168) Apr 16, 2012 California
    Trader

I was just in VT last weekend and had Heady, Sip of Sunshine and Focal side by side, much preferred Focal to Heady. Heady was a bit sharper in its bitterness, where as focal was rounded or refined, solid bitterness but not sharp, more flavor forward due to that roundness. Definitely getting the better of the two to try. Even sip of sunshine was better than Heady for the same reason, the flavor was just not as forward. Aroma was tops for all, just fruit hop bombs in the face.

Buck86 and OUJayhawk1799 like this.
  22. pumptrick

pumptrick Initiate (178) Oct 26, 2010 California

Leaving SoCal now. See at the pool. Cheers all!

23. JRosenstock

JRosenstock Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2010 Oregon

So I just managed to get my ticket last minute through some lucky circumstances, anyone have any leads on a place I could crash my head? The hotels I know are booked solid within the vicinity, this will be my first time attending and I'd love to provide some cash and beers and good times if anyone can help a fellow BAer out. I figure it's worth a shot.

#383 JRosenstock, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  24. grandmachine

grandmachine Initiate (78) Mar 11, 2010 California

The Hampton inn and La Bellasera both have rooms available, but they're $300+ for the night.

25. JRosenstock

JRosenstock Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2010 Oregon

I saw that, a little too out of my price range, but I found myself a nice little spot not more than 20 minutes away. Guess the next question is where're the bottle shares happening?

26. weese

weese Initiate (86) Jun 16, 2014 California
    Trader

What time's the share at the adelaide? I'm at the marriott, but I'll bring some stuff over if it's going tonight.

petty_crimes likes this.
  27. Vav

Vav Initiate (192) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

I swung by. The one by the pool was pretty chill, the one by the lawn was a tad tougher to make new pals due to lack of light. Also I'm fucking tired from a long day of travel so i wasn't feeling super social. Enjoy guys & gals, see you all tomorrow *thumbsup*

28. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

I can't believe they're canceling the festival today!

29. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (213) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Anyone need a ticket?

30. jeff1973

jeff1973 Savant (910) Aug 10, 2010 California

Had a great time and surprisingly am still feeling pretty good. I plan on opening some beers in the lobby of the Hampton Inn Paso Robles (the only one that I know is in Paso Robles). I brought 4 beers to share. Anyone is invited. I will be starting with Trillium Vicinity (that I picked in Boston last week). I will be ending with that if no one else shows up. If a anyone does, I can open Abyss 2011, Wicked Weed Black Angel, and finally Mocha Wednesday 2015. I have some chips and trail mix to eat. I will probably start @ 6:30pm. Hope to see you there!
    P.S. they manager said we can stay in the lobby until 10pm.

PG2G likes this.
  31. DCLAguy11

DCLAguy11 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 California

Hopefully there aren't too many here, but I want to say a big fuck you to all the douchebags who cut on the sides of the FFF tent today. Thanks for blowing the last keg of BVDL for those that were waiting in line.

Disclaimer: this doesn't apply to any brewers or anyone that actually works for a brewery that was part of the festival.

You know who you are.

Otherwise the festival was fun.

Rant over.

swolepeer, m34josh, thome50 and 2 others like this.
  32. wethorseblanket

Funk youe.

33. Steffano

Steffano Initiate (97) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Trader

Any bottle shares happening at the mariott?

34. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

So many line cutters this year.

thome50 and petty_crimes like this.
  35. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 California

isn't that at any beer event (or event in general) where lines aren't monitored and people are too afraid to speak up?

m34josh and petty_crimes like this.
  36. petty_crimes

petty_crimes Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2014 California
    Deactivated

seriously.... as someone who actually waited, fuck everyone that did that.

37. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Disciple (353) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

People openly commented on their cutting in line and how funny it was.

38. bnelson997

bnelson997 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 California

I thought it was a fantastic day. The breweries brought their A game and exceeded my expectations for sure. Sorry to anyone who's time got soured by line cutters. If anyone didn't hear, 3 Floyds got voted as People's Choice. DL isn't my thing so I didn't have the same experiences as you guys. FW & Barrelworks brought some solid stuff (Evan Williams Blue Label Bravo was amazing!). Side Project kicked fairly early compared to everyone else. The countdown begins to next year's festival. What was everyone's favorite beer they tried?

39. mysterye87

mysterye87 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 California

Cheeseus Christ there was so much line cutting. I was waiting for the bruery near the end and some chick and dude just rolled up to the front with a fancy camera then preceded put their cup down and start taking pictures of said empty cup then asked for a pour. I just said fuck it went to revolution and kept getting pours of cafe deth. Other than that awesome fest. Cafe deth was my fav. What did you guys think of the collab beer?

petty_crimes likes this.
  40. schuey1010

schuey1010 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 California

I think I remember reading that they always have this the first Saturday after Memorial Day, is that correct? Will next year be June 4 then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.