Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival (2022)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Comics-Beer, Mar 10, 2022.

1. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (518) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

And this is already sold out as they are honoring all tickets from previous canceled year?

bret27 likes this.
  2. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,829) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Yes, honoring the tickets for the 2020 fest. Can't wait, far and away my favorite fest.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (730) Mar 19, 2012 California

Been twice. I'm getting too old for beer fests, but if I was going to attend one, this would be it. Looks like an amazing lineup.

jakecattleco likes this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (6,682) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Here's the press release:

FIRESTONE WALKER ANNOUNCES RETURN OF INVITATIONAL BEER FEST ON JUNE 4, 2022

Brewery Also Unveils Sweepstakes for “Ultimate Experience”

The Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest is set to return on June 4, 2022 with a curated all-star cast of more than 55 breweries from around the world.

“The Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest was born from a dream of creating a world-class festival featuring some of the best brewers in the world,” said Brewmaster Matt Brynildson. “This is a day when we can set the sales pitches aside and simply share our beers and stories with passionate craft drinkers.”

Tickets purchased for the postponed 2020 fest will carry over to this year’s event, which is why no additional tickets are for public sale.

One of the features that makes the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest unique is that the brewers themselves come to the event to personally share their creations, ensuring that the experience is steeped in craft beer culture.

Attending breweries at the 2022 event include FrauGruber Craft Brewing from Germany; Brouwerij ‘t IJ from Amsterdam; Casey Brewing from Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Schönramer from Germany; Cerveza Antares from Argentina; Bale Breaker Brewing from Yakima, Washington; Cervejaria Bamberg from Brazil; Cloudwater Brew Co. from England; Urban Roots Brewing from Sacramento, California; Omnipollo from Sweden; There Does Not Exist and Liquid Gravity from San Luis Obispo, California; and Great Notion Brewing from Oregon. A complete list of the breweries attending the 2022 Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest can be viewed below and on the event page.

The 2022 Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest collaboration beer will be “Parrotphrase,” a dry-hopped grisette ale made with Green Cheek Beer Company. This beer will be poured for all fest patrons, and will be available for public pre-sale in April.

The fest will also feature offerings from local food artisans as well as live music by The Stone Foxes and The Lil’ Smokies. Proceeds from the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest benefit the nonprofit Paso Robles Pioneer Day, a beloved local institution.

The Ultimate Firestone Walker Experience

Firestone Walker today also unveiled the “Ultimate Firestone Walker Experience” sweepstakes, which includes two tickets to the 2022 Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest.

The full prize also includes private tours and behind-the-scenes experiences at Firestone Walker’s Venice and Paso Robles breweries, and three nights at local hotels plus lunch and dinner at the brewery taprooms.

The sweepstakes is open from now through April 3 at 11:59 p.m. PST. Interested craft beer fans may submit their entry via the Ultimate Firestone Walker Experience sweepstakes page. The winner will be randomly drawn after the close of the sweepstakes period.

###

5. Craft_Drinks

Craft_Drinks Initiate (26) Oct 4, 2017 California

If anyone can’t make it, I’ll take their tickets lol

6. Vitacca

Vitacca Champion (839) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Society Trader

Cannot wait!!

7. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (980) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Missed out on tickets in 2020, but was lucky enough gain access to a ticket through the Brewmaster's Collective.

Looking forward to the festivities. .

"Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in" :slight_smile:

8. johnInLA

Society Trader

There not serving any Barrelworks beers? That can't be right.

thuey likes this.
  9. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,347) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Yes. You and me both. Too old for beer and music festivals these days. Never too old for rock & roll, and too young to die.
    That list looks decent I guess.

10. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (514) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Seems like a mistake

johnInLA likes this.
  11. johnInLA

Society Trader

Me too. Too old for beer festivals. But yet, they keep letting me in. They even card me and still let me in.

12. The_ME_Brews

The_ME_Brews Initiate (5) May 31, 2019 Nevada

Excited that it's finally back! Of course the year we finally got VIP, we had to wait this long to enjoy it haha.

Planning to bring some stuff from Vegas (and elsewhere) out for the share on Friday, plus hitting up some of our favorite places along the way into town on Thursday (can't miss SLO farmer's market!). It's amazing how many places have popped up since we moved in 2019 so that will be neat to check out.

13. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (886) Dec 3, 2014 California

I am ready. I have three years worth of beer I'll be splooging at the Adelaide pool on Friday night.

Looking forward to finally seeing everyone again

14. johnInLA

Society Trader

Firestone list was published earlier in the week on FB.

Under "Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival"

15. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Aspirant (221) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

It's wild seeing how many breweries are bringing lagers compared to years past. Love to see it as a fan of lagers and the heat that the festival tends to bring.

JBogan, johnInLA and SP23 like this.
  16. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,347) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I’m not sure about RRBC bringing RND IPA. Maybe their trying to push the hop profile on this ipa. I didn’t care for it. On another note good to see Green Cheek bringing 3 new beers to the table. One is available in cans right now. California is well represented, but there is a lot of heavy hitters on the list from out of state. Looks like fun.

johnInLA and ChicagoJ like this.
  17. LocestLXCX

LocestLXCX Initiate (133) Mar 3, 2016 California
    Trader

Does anyone know anything about Small Earth from Monkish?

18. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

The FWI app says it's a 3% farmhouse table beer

LocestLXCX likes this.
  19. LocestLXCX

LocestLXCX Initiate (133) Mar 3, 2016 California
    Trader

Thanks I just downloaded the app.

20. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

Np! The FB page mentioned an update last week which I'm assuming either means a new app or upgrade to what's on the app store since it's still mentioning 2019. Either way, most of the beers announced are on the app with a link to Untappd and a description.

21. chrisjws

I'm just waiting to see the Friday night beer list at the Adelaide. Ain't no app for that. Also, waiting to see what shenanigans @pumptrick gets up to.

22. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

Perhaps my hangover tolerance sucks but I can't imagine hitting a bottleshare like Adelaide the day before a giant festival in the middle of central California. I purposefully stop drinking 5 or so days before because I know the festival will put me out of commission for the next 1-2 days based on the amazing beer and heat.

The Adelaide bottleshare always looks like a good time but my body needs a few beer free days before FWI so I don't implode. That said, hope everyone that attends enjoys :slight_smile:

bret27 and SP23 like this.
  23. TJbeerGuy

TJbeerGuy Initiate (17) May 27, 2019 California
    Trader

You should go Saturday after the event, thats what I do since might as well keep drinking as the hangover is not gonna get any better the next day.

wilymobastardo and pinballplayer like this.
  24. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

The official app received an overhaul, I'm digging the way they have the beer list with a filter instead of searching by brewery. Shaping up to be a good one!

LocestLXCX likes this.
  25. TJbeerGuy

TJbeerGuy Initiate (17) May 27, 2019 California
    Trader

I like how waxley doesn’t have the rare beer icon. Lol

26. pumptrick

pumptrick Initiate (178) Oct 26, 2010 California

Hey now, see you Friday

chrisjws and johnInLA like this.
  27. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Crusader (708) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

First rule of FWIBF: "Drink through it."

You just gotta power through.

28. johnInLA

Society Trader

I'm just excited to hear there is a festival in between the Fri & Sat bottle shares :slight_smile:

I'll definitely have to check that out.

29. ghylk

ghylk Initiate (67) Aug 3, 2010 California

What's the deal with the bottle shares?

We're staying at the Adelaide (walking distance from the festival, yah!) and will be in tonight, but not sure about the protocols and whatnot.

30. chrisjws

Come to the pool

johnInLA likes this.
  31. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (712) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Find a chair and/or standing space, bring a glass, bring a bottle (..or don't, nobody should really care), and enjoy beers and company.

johnInLA likes this.
  32. ghylk

ghylk Initiate (67) Aug 3, 2010 California

Missed last night, but will be there tonight with some stuff from the beer cellar (ok, closet under the stairs really, but what can you do?).

#33 ghylk, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    johnInLA likes this.
  33. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

On the road to recover but I'd like to hear what everyone thought. Random notes:
    • Casey can make a damn good helles lager.
    • I said it before but it was so nice to see lagers at most booths. Previously invitationals I was all about the stouts but this time it was 1/5 stouts and primarily a nice mix of lagers/wild ales/other styles for me.
    • The food was OUTSTANDING and plentiful. Major highlight and I skipped dinner because I ate soooo much great food.
    • Bummed with the Bruery. The beer was great but the guys pouring were on their phone and/or talking to one another the whole time and poured and pushed. Most other stations were sociable, polite, and happy to have folks swing by... The Bruery, not so much. I felt like I was inconveniencing them when I asked a question about the BT variant.
    • The festival beer (collab with Green Cheek) was excellent.
    • Firestone put on a great event and if I had to give one criticism it'd be the check in process. Having someone walk down the line to check IDs and scan tickets would speed things up considerably since they screened everyone with a metal detector upon entry.
    • Stouts: Half Acre Double Barrel Benthic, Veil Pallbearer Reserve Mélange, Revolution Sanctuary #11, and Monkish Little Twin Stars were my standouts.
    • Revolution Where Eagles Rare mild was unique and freaking delicious
    • Almost all stations were kind and talkative, almost to the detriment of the line, which was great for beer and the attendees. Same goes for everyone I ran into, good folks all around.
    Looking forward to FWIBF 2023

#34 Fippy_Darkpaw, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022