Firestone Walker NOT releasing Sucaba in 2017, but wait, there is a new beer!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by TboneRN, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TboneRN

TboneRN Defender (640) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

From Firestone Walker's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/firestone.walker/

CJNAPS likes this.
  2. scream

scream Meyvn (1,285) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

not now and never will be on FB !

3. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (59) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

I'm excited to see what they are going to release in its place.

Radcpa and highdesertdrinker like this.
  4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,271) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Thats sad love that FW Brew, Im usually in CA in February and buy several to bring home. I wonder what the new vintage brew will be on Feb 4th?

5. JDM0221

JDM0221 Initiate (107) Sep 4, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

I believe it will be Bravo, their barrel aged imperial brown ale, that is utilized in many of their blends.

jakecattleco and Gemini6 like this.
  6. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,140) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Yeah, rumor is it's Bravo this time.

I love Sucaba, but I'm actually kinda glad they're shaking up the Vintage line this year. Maybe we'll see PNC or Parabajava in Parabola's spot? Or Maltose Falcons subbing in for Helldorado? One can dream...

Fox82791 and jakecattleco like this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (4,034) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

If you simply don't want to register or logon, you don't have to - if unregistered or not logged in then Facebook is just another website with information. If that's a personal protest then whatever - you're missing information because some companies are only doing Facebook.

8. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (135) Jan 8, 2015 California

Is that why is says "You must log in to continue"?

Zorro, bbtkd, Wolfhead and 2 others like this.
  9. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,496) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I guess that's the end of my vertical.....

No reason to keep saving, better start drinking!

10. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,047) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

If it's PNC my bank account is definitely gonna be hurting. If Parabajava my cellar may truly have to expand in storage space after the wallet hit. Oh the first world problems...

11. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (148) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Trader

12. readyski

readyski Aspirant (255) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Say it ain't so! That is my favorite FW beer - how will they ever replace that?:rolling_eyes:

13. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (285) Feb 13, 2015 California

14. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (4,034) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

My bad - while I don't actively use FB I do have an account and was signed on. I agree that you shouldn't have to sign on to see content.

Johnct likes this.
  15. JDM0221

JDM0221 Initiate (107) Sep 4, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

I also heard that all FW Vintage bottles will be changing to 12 oz bottles this year.

b-mc-g, Brolo75, mychalg9 and 7 others like this.
  16. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,732) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Interesting. I got my one and only bottle of Sucuba this year, so glad I was able to do so. I'm interested to try what's in its place (Imperial Brown Ale?). Mother's brewery makes an imperial brown ale that's aged in bourbon barrels (or was). Maybe I can do a side-by-side, blind tasting at some point.

b-mc-g likes this.
  17. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (583) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Not to thread jack, but also saw where FW Union Jack is coming in 16oz cans. Looks like Firestone is trying to "freshen up" the look of the lineup with new size formats.

18. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,391) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Any of their boxed beauties in bottled four packs would be a boon! Lends itself to the "try a couple now and age the rest" crowd very nicely (which I'm part of). Sad to see Sucaba shelved but FW can be counted on to fill the gap with something amazing, though I'm hesitant to say "equally amazing." That's a damn fine beer headed to the bench.

19. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (39) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

My fear though is that shops will break them up with limit one 12oz per customer.

20. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (801) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

I actually am shocked they are moving the vintage series to 12oz 4 packs if th rumor is true. The boxes are iconic.

21. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (311) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

22. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

You must log on so MZ gets all your info for advertising, fake news etc. etc.

I do like Sucaba and can't age anything but myself so....next

23. Donco

Donco Devotee (457) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Sorry to hear they're not doing a 2017 version (oh, well, still have a 2015 & 2016)...
    I hope they do a new release of Double DBA. Great stuff!

Brolo75 and mychalg9 like this.
  24. ernh

ernh Initiate (177) Jun 10, 2012 California

Where does it specify 4-packs? I think they've been doing their sour beers as one-off 12oz bottles for awhile, so if that's been working it makes sense to consolidate production lines. I think 12oz bottles designed for individual sale are an emerging trend in higher end beers. Crux as one example. As long as it doesn't jack up the per ounce price I love the flexibility of smaller bottles!

Those boxed 22's have always been beautiful, but I've also always looked at them and thought, "I'd pay a buck less per package for simpler packaging and less waste." (not sure what actual production cost is, but between the cardboard, printing, manufacture, and either a machine or human labor to package it has to add up)

AnotherPint4Ole likes this.
  25. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

12 oz singles = BAD
    12 oz/4-pack = GREAT

Zorro, Brolo75, QuakeAttack and 3 others like this.
  26. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (449) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Those are 375ml bottles, looks like these will be 12oz bottles. I like the 375's, especially because they are corked and caged. Agreed on the price per ounce thing though, 375's are usually pricier per ounce.

27. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (135) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

Damn, I love Sucaba. Would much rather have them replace Helldorado for a year.

28. ernh

29. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (320) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Trader

That also states there will only be 100 cases of the 22oz bottles. Can that be right, if so that will never leave the brewery and everyone else will see 12oz bottles.

30. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,795) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

NOOOOO! :slight_frown:

Thats my favorite of the lineup. Why not get rid of something else like Helldorado?

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  31. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Savant (952) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

I agree should have dumped Merkin or Helldorado instead

Mshea805, BWood, JohnnyHopps and 4 others like this.
  32. ernh

I bet that's wrong. The labels themselves say either 1,000 or 4,000 cases depending on how you read their font.

33. TruePerception

TruePerception Defender (665) Aug 30, 2013 California

I'm interested in trying Bravo. I've only had their bottles that hit retail near me, but I've bought 18, 19, and 20, and all three of those had some Bravo, if I remember correctly.

34. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

Would have liked to see Merkin go away, but excited to try the new one coming.

JohnnyHopps, croush and shnsajax like this.
  35. croush

croush Crusader (760) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I agree here. A lot of folks seem to be willing to do away with Helldorado, but I've been pretty impressed with it every time I've had it. I think I've actually been less impressed with Sucaba (and Parabola...gasp!) when I've had it. Perhaps it has something to do with higher expectations for things like Sucaba/Parabola and lower expectations for Helldorado.

My guess is Bravo gets split into single 12 oz. bottles around here instead of being sold in the 4-packs. If that's the case, I'd probably buy one bottle to try, but I doubt I'd be interested in a whole 4-pack or 22 oz. bottle.

CJNAPS and FBarber like this.
  36. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Aspirant (211) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Replacing Sucaba with Bravo is like booting Michael Jackson for Janet while giving Tito a pass. Poor form FSW, Helldorado or Merkin should have taken that bullet.

KevinMc79, Mshea805, BartS and 3 others like this.
  37. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (285) Feb 13, 2015 California

i knocked helldorado when it was first released and i tried a fresh bottle, but was blown away by how good it was with a year on it. ended up stocking up on this last release.

agree with others on merkin though - does nothing for me and skipped the last release.

38. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (268) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Trader

I'm a big fan of Sucaba. Sad to see it "temporarily" out of rotation. And yes, it ruins my vertical as well. I've only had Helldorado fresh, but wasn't impressed. I guess only time will tell with the rest of my bottles. As for Merkin, it's a great beer, but it generally is a Parabola lite. Flavors are more subtle and it has less ABV. Which I guess makes it more drinkable. But I don't think it was supposed to be a session beer. I think either of these two would have been a better candidate.

39. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (39) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

2016 >>> 2015, especially once it warms up. Wasn't overly impressed with 2015 but 2016 is really good, especially just barely below room temperature. Wasn't sure I was going to buy any in 2016, but after opening my first one I went out and bought a few more.

40. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Disciple (319) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

Figures Firestone Walker finally makes it to my state and this happens. I have been waiting all year for this:angry:

deadsincebirth and FBarber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.