Firestone Walker releases "Old Man Hattan," a barrel-aged mashup of two classic cocktails

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,582) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Paso Robles, CA: Get ready for the inaugural release of Old Man Hattan—an eccentric barrel-aged mashup of two classic cocktails: the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan.

First conceived last year as a brewery-only Black Friday limited release, Old Man Hattan now makes its debut as one of only six Proprietor’s Vintage releases for 2019. It begins rolling out to all Firestone Walker markets this week in individually boxed 12-ounce bottles.

The base beer of Old Man Hattan is a blend of signature Firestone Walker component beers, including Velvet Merkin, Bravo and Stickee Monkee aged in whiskey barrels. The twist comes from select lots of Parabola and Helldorado that were aged in barrels previously used to mature cherry, orange and aromatic bitters.

The result is a barnstorming beer that exhibits pronounced whiskey notes while artfully expressing essences of both the Old Fashioned and the Manhattan cocktails.

“Old Man Hattan is really true to its dual influences,” said Eric Ponce, Firestone Walker’s barrel program manager. “On the nose, you get hints of cherry, orange and clove spice. It’s extremely smooth and drinkable, with traditional whiskey characters of tobacco and bitter chocolate.”

As a cocktail enthusiast, Ponce had been toying with idea of Old Man Hattan for years. But since many bitters are made in stainless steel tanks, bitters barrels are hard to come by—which is why it took time for the idea to come to fruition.

Lightning finally struck when Ponce gained access to barrels retired from an artisan bitters program. “These bitters barrels are beautifully potent,” he said. “We really played around with the different component beers and barrel ratios to get everything just right.”

He added, “If you’re a fan of the Old Fashioned, Manhattan or other whiskey-based cocktails, you’re going to love this beer.”

https://www.firestonebeer.com

###

HouseofWortship and dcotom like this.
  2. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,667) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

With the exception of Sucaba, I have really enjoyed Firestone's barrel program. They can have more of my money for this.:scream::money_mouth:

3. ernh

ernh Initiate (155) Jun 10, 2012 California

Hey wait a second... This sounds good and all, but no Stickee Monkey release this year!?! I hope that's just a one year break like with Sucaba in 2017.

4. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (433) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Yeah I guess this is taking its place this year. It’s got some big shoes to fill.

GuyFawkes and jakecattleco like this.
  5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,008) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

While I enjoyed the brew, I'll likely be dipping into the cellar for Stickee Monkee vintages before grabbing some of this. Kinda tiring of beer trying to taste like things other than beer...and not finding Pivo in my area anymore. Off my soapbox

ernh and alucard6679 like this.
  6. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,001) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

this was oddly fantastic last year, happy to see a wide release on it, it’s strangely delicious

excited to see it makes it to costco :wink:

7. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (218) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I really miss Pivo. One of the better American takes on a German pils that had wide distribution IMO

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,160) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

And mine. :yum:

DIM likes this.
  9. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,498) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Would have loved it (and Union Jack) a lot more if I could ever find it fresh. But was definitely a great beer.

This Old Man Hatten has negative appeal to me, personally. Seems like beer trying to be a spirit is a developing trend, a number of locals also doing things of the sort as well.

redeemer and alucard6679 like this.
  10. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,655) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

This is the top brewery I wish would come to Arkansas. That beer sounds awesome.

11. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Feel the same way about DBA, never fresh and is no bueno out of code- one of my favorite beers if it's on draft or there's some kind of miracle.

I agree on 'cocktail' inspired beers, it's lowest common denominator/ bottom feeder magnet at it's worst. Lime ale with tequila and salt !? No way bruh, I got sauced on margs last weekend, this is gonna be sweeeeet. Doing a lame "riff" on a classic cocktail is not interesting and doesn't really come out well, ever. Except The Bruery- Imperial Cabinet, that was kind of awesome and I really didn't want to like it. I would not consider a (Ramos) Gin Fizz to be a lowest common denominator cocktail though.

>> back on topic, I'll still probably try this though because I love FW and they have never done me wrong on anything with a barrel. This is also not an adjunct (add junk?) beer, it sounds like they are simply using barrels seasoned during the process of making aromatic bitters, which is way more my speed and hopefully not as over the top obvious. I think I can dig it.

Hoppedelic likes this.
  12. chong138

chong138 Initiate (94) Dec 30, 2007 California

Tl
    Tldr;

I hate this but will try it.

RobNewton and Prince_Casual like this.
  13. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (319) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

LOL.

*** I hate this, but since it's FW and been in a barrel, I will try it