Firestone Walker - Stickee Monkee 2016

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Chcshammonde, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coquet

coquet Initiate (106) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Would love to hear thoughts on this as well. The oldest bottle I've ever had was about a year old, because I don't have the patience to let this age any further, but every bottle has been divine. I'd be interested to know if there's any benefit to letting it go any longer.

b-mc-g likes this.
  2. OnePuttBlunder

OnePuttBlunder Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2015 Arizona

Come and gone in AZ luckily I was able to grab a couple. Haven't tried 2016 yet. Having a Batchelor party in a couple months with some fellow beer nuts saving it and a bunch of other stuff for that weekend for us to share.
    Also have 1 2015 left will be an interesting side by side.

3. Yabu

Yabu Disciple (307) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I've drank several bottles of '15 (and a few more still in my fridge), and compared to the pours of '16 on tap...'15 bottles were sweeter/tastier. I've not done a side by side comparison, but that was my observation. It might very well be the bottles are better than on tap.

I haven't had alot of quad's...but I do love me some SM.

b-mc-g likes this.
  4. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

Local beer store in Upstate New York had it in yesterday afternoon. They have about 10~ or so just sitting on the shelf.

[​IMG]

Grabbed one, but I'm sure the rest might sit for a little.

5. nyrblue2

nyrblue2 Disciple (341) Jun 9, 2012 New York

Which store? I'm in Albany - have stopped in 6 places between yesterday and today and they have all been sold out since earlier in the week.

6. Statonxyb

Bearworld of Watertown, NY.

7. Statonxyb

Bear World in Watertown, NY.

I can swing by there tomorrow and if it's there, can pick you up a bottle. Just PM me if that's something you'd be up for.

efrankmcguire likes this.
  8. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Savant (980) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Grabbed one from Binny's as well and the guy in the beer department said in his opinion the best FW beer, better than my favorite Parabola, so I am pretty stoked to try this. However he said to sit on it for about at least a year. Guess these are kinda like The Abyss best after dating. Also spoke to my buddy at my local bottle shop and he said to sit on it, so mine will stay in the cellar.

9. Statonxyb

I'm drinking mine now, tastes amazing. I'm sure it'll taste even better once aged, but I was impatient for this bottle. :grinning:

[​IMG]

10. Gambyt20

Trader

I might have to track down a second bottle to try one fresh in order to have some kind of baseline to compare the one I am planning to age.

Statonxyb likes this.
  11. nyrblue2

nyrblue2 Disciple (341) Jun 9, 2012 New York

Appreciate it, but I found the last 2 bottles at my 7th stop yesterday evening.

Statonxyb likes this.
  12. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 California

This years batch has a low abv which makes me think it has too much residual sugar. that's why this years seems so sweet. I know they call it stickee Monkee because a monkey's penis taste sweet, but this iteration is slightly too sweet for me.

13. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 New York

Just picked up 2 bottles of this at Finger Lakes Beverage in Ithaca today. One of the managers said that they got 6 cases this time compared to their usual 2 of the FW vintage stuff. He still had 4 bottles available sitting on the front counter. $16.99 I believe; standard price.

14. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (285) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Oh snap, which Binny's??

15. KBlodorn

Trader

Hey dude, which Binny's?

16. imfatsowhat

imfatsowhat Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

Picked up 2 bottles at the local Costco for 11.99 a pop

chrismann65 likes this.
  17. Gambyt20

Trader

Lincoln Park this past Friday.

18. KBlodorn

Trader

I appreciate that; gonna give them a call today.. Cheers

19. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 California

Which Costco?

20. imfatsowhat

imfatsowhat Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

The "Los Feliz" one here in Los Angeles

21. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,372) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

If anyone in Chicago is still looking for Stickee Monkee, Binny's on Grand has 2-3 cases sitting on the floor.

Sparty1224 likes this.
  22. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky

Woo! Be there this evening :slight_smile:

23. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois

Binny's in Algonquin had 4 or 5 cases last Thursday if anyone is still looking.

24. ernh

ernh Aspirant (279) Jun 10, 2012 California

A couple weeks ago I did a vertical of 2014, 2015, & 2016 bottles (2014 was the first year they started bottling it). I bought all at retail when they came out and my "cellar" is a not-fancy cardboard box in a closet. More than anything I was amazed at how consistent the three bottles were. Last year I did a 13/14/15 vertical of Sucaba and the differences were interesting, but with SM the 14 was very similar to the 16 (14 was more sweet/syrupy). 15 was also similar but had a stronger bourbon flavor and was my favorite (I also like 15 Sucaba and 15 Parabola more than this year's or prior years). I don't think these differences were from aging though. I think that while the 14 and 15 haven't developed, they also haven't fallen off. Given how smooth and delicious SM was to begin with though, just maintaining flavor is a win. I say enjoy whenever.

We also did a 2012, 2015, 2016 Parabola vertical and the 2012 Parabola, while still delicious, had a hint of what I thought was stale malt. May have peaked.

chrismann65 and coquet like this.
  25. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,720) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I figured I had missed out on Stickee Monkee this year but was able to score a bottle today. I'm very pleased and looking forward to a good moment to crack it open.

VABA likes this.
  26. coquet

Trader

I didn't get much in the way of a response to this, so some buddies and I split '15 and '16 bottles. You know, for science! Keep in mind, the differences described below could be based on batch difference--the original gravities and ABVs differed between the two.

2015: This beer was goddamn divine. Scent was almost all caramel. Taste was very complex, with toffee, raisin, plum, coconut, and rum in the mix. Mouthfeel was a hair thick, just like a good Belgian style brew should be. Perfect 5/5.

2016: This beer was much less complex. The scent promised similar caramel, but the high ABV was much more obvious on the nose. Taste was like caramel candy in terms of flavor and sweetness (sweeter than the '15, and almost too sweet), but without the other flavors. Mouth was similar, or maybe just a tad thinner. 4.25/5.

Of the three of us, two preferred the 2015. The one who preferred the 2016 said he liked it more because it made him more aware that he was drinking a high ABV beer, with the aged bottle being deceptively smooth. I will be cellaring all of mine going forward.

27. RonaldWilsonReagan

RonaldWilsonReagan Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2015 California

I'll have to take your word for it, pal.

28. coquet

Trader

If you re-read my post, you'll notice I noted the difference in ABV in the opening paragraph. Either the 2015 just integrated the alcohol better, or the age mellow it. Maybe you should get your facts straight before trying to critique me.

needMIbeer and raynmoon like this.
  29. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (286) Feb 13, 2015 California

this shit had me busting up for a solid 5 minutes

bbtkd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.