Firestone Walker to expand into LA market with new Venice project

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sandiego67, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

The brewery has acquired space on West Washington Blvd near Lincoln Blvd just north of the marina in Marina Del Rey. Firestone Walker says:
    Venice’s creative vibe was the main draw. This isn’t going to be a satellite brewery outpost. It’s a place for us to connect with the area’s unique energy. Our aim is to contribute to the local craft spirit, and to establish a third leg along the coast, complementing our existing locations in Paso Robles and Buellton.

Angst, j47paco, Grant35 and 3 others like this.
  2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,165) Mar 18, 2010 California

I heard about this, and I am excited.

3. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Initiate (197) Dec 10, 2010 California

Yay, a closer Firestone Outpost!

However WHY does it have to be Venice? That whole area is tourist trap in my opinion.

Justinsosmart and skelliott like this.
  4. drewone

drewone Meyvn (1,392) Sep 18, 2006 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Depending where on Washington I would not agree - as a bonus, my son goes to preschool right by here.

5. dannyhipps

dannyhipps Aspirant (202) Oct 15, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Venice?? Scratching my head on this....

6. APreacher

APreacher Initiate (121) Jun 6, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

FW taproom in Venice? Strange.... but I would visit and share a beer with you drewone.
    Hopefully they have similar tap/bottle offerings to Paso and Beulton.

7. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,691) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Supporter Beer Trader

Booya!!!! I'm going to the West Side.

8. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (525) Jul 9, 2010 California

Dm; fw

But seriously I'm beyond stoked

9. danscott

danscott Aspirant (238) Jul 15, 2006 California

Washington and Lincoln is more MDR than Venice. It definitely is not in the tourist shit of Venice where traffic is a crawl and parking is non-existent.

10. PG2G

PG2G Devotee (486) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, for those that don't know this is pretty much by the Marina Del Rey Costco.

As a new Playa Del Rey resident, I couldn't be more happy

11. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (475) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

12. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

That area isn't a tourist trap, but is a very busy traffic zone. Also, I know from when I lived out there, I would frequently drive up that way, on my way to The Library. I am sure that I am not the only one who travels that way to the Library. Even though it is several miles away, I am sure that it will intercept some of the beer travelers who normally would have been going up to the library. For me, that would have been cutting down my after beer drive considerably and that definitely plays a factor in the decision making. Although, having eaten at Firestone and at the Library, the Library's food is better.

13. robL

robL Initiate (184) Oct 22, 2010 California

Bike rides to the new FW taproom! BAM!!!

vurt and albertq17 like this.
  14. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Crusader (796) Sep 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

For those who don't want to go to touristy Venice there is still the Barrel Room in touristy Buellton (not far from some touristy windmills), and the main brewery in touristy Paso Robles (though in a non-tourisy part of town).

15. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (580) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry Beer Trader

Man, So Cal blows, especially Venice. Why couldn't they have put this somewhere in the Bay Area??

16. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

For those of you who are too lazy to look, below is the google maps link. Make sure you click on street view to see all the tourists.

map

Xul and danscott like this.
  17. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Damn, now that Firestone is going to start distributing to LA there goes half my trade market.

nanobrew and 1424IpA like this.
  18. cLin

cLin Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 California

FW already has a pretty big third leg.

19. chromebomb

chromebomb Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2009 California

Because of snoooty bay area people like you.

Firestone is already distributing to LA.

blguillen and Sam_Frank like this.
  20. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (580) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry Beer Trader

Not being snooty, just expressing an opinion that has been confirmed every time I've been unfortunate enough to go to LA.

21. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

Having lived in the Bay Area for a few years, I really do prefer it over SoCal. That said, LA's not too bad once you learn where to go to get the things you want. The worst part about it is the sprawl and brutal traffic, which, I admit, is enough to spoil your day if you let it. Once you accept the drawbacks, it's a lot easier to enjoy life here. For instance, if you're into ethnic food, you really can't beat what the LA area has to offer due to the large immigrant populations. That's not to say they don't exist in the SF Bay, they're just a lot bigger here. SF has LA beat in terms of Michelin-starred restaurants, but LA's got street and ethnic food on lock.

culturalsnow and JayORear like this.
  22. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (55) Apr 16, 2005 California

All those damn tourists that head straight from LAX to the Marina del Rey Costco and the world famous Washington Blvd Albertsons. . .

robL, grilledsquid, albertq17 and 2 others like this.
  23. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

It looks like every other cross street in LA from South Bay to the Valley.

24. irishgurl4

irishgurl4 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2010 California

Why couldn't they just go a smidge further south and put something in Westchester or Playa del Rey? I tend to avoid Venice because it is just a parking and traffic nightmare.

iluvBA4life likes this.
  25. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (230) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Legit location for LA. Mainly because it's biking distance to me. That area is not at all Venice touristy. Thank god. Opening day can't come soon enough!

queens1130, robL and Wowcoolman like this.
  26. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

How dare they put it in a place that will get them a lot of exposure and maybe even some new customers who may not have drank FW beers before. They should have put it in a back alley in Silver Lake and require the you know the name of all Reserve Series beers and the months they are released in before entering.

27. grilledsquid

Beer Trader

Yeah that was my point. There's nothing out of the norm so all this talk about it being in a touristy area is unwarranted.

28. sirtomtom

I don't know LA county that well and I apologize for making the mistake. My grandfather took me to Venice Beach multiple times with German relatives. I just presumed the whole city looks like this: http://chiwowwow.com/WEBLOG/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/2006_8_21venice_beach_l65.jpg

29. SidSquid

SidSquid Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2010 California

This is great news - the more FW, the better. That said, the press release is pretty funny. Venice, Paso Robles, Buellton - the three most noticable places of creative energy in socal, right? (Seriously, is there anything else in Paso Robles than FW? And anything in Buellton than FW and split pea soup?)

30. sirtomtom

Paso has wine, wine, and more delicious wine and that one good gelato/candy shop. Buelton has the ostrich farm. :wink:

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  31. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (363) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Might as well have put it in the east bay for all I care, or SF even.

For down here I haven't been west of Robertson in 3 years, so it might as well be in Timbuktu.

Srsly and skelliott like this.
  32. drewone

drewone Meyvn (1,392) Sep 18, 2006 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Yawn

robL, JasonFromLA and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  33. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Room for one more in the swaggervan?

34. APreacher

APreacher Initiate (121) Jun 6, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Abroslutely!!!Can you get driver to chaperone? Or do we need to fill these 12 cup holders together?

35. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

stoked on this. i think venice is a great location. downtown would have also been good, but venice makes sense too. especially since Stone is doing their restaurant / pub downtown soon. this will be my new post venice skatepark stop off location

i hope they do something unique for this location, like they did for Barrelworks, and offer some unique tap offerings

to nor cal haters: yawn

36. thecerezahermano

thecerezahermano Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2013 California

If serious I will chaperone for small fee. Message me.

37. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

i would not be opposed to that

Srsly likes this.
  38. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,045) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

FW in LA..that I can WALK TO.

YES PLEASE

39. TheAngryBurrito

TheAngryBurrito Aspirant (213) Jan 6, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Very close to my work. Should be a nice spot for a lunch beer.

40. cinco

cinco Initiate (117) Sep 16, 2006 California

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.