Firestone Walker to expand into LA market with new Venice project

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sandiego67, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayORear

JayORear Savant (909) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Provincial bullshit. I moved from SF to L.A. last year and couldn't be happier.
  2. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aspirant (245) Jul 12, 2012 California

I am over the moon about this, truly.
    Sam_Frank likes this.
  3. culturalsnow

culturalsnow Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

Good to have a FW presence down here!
  4. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aspirant (245) Jul 12, 2012 California

The area where this is going to be is far from touristy.

Venice, CA is not Venice Beach.

They really could have just said Marina Del Rey, but I'm sure they wanted a more recognizable name in the presser.
    sirtomtom and robL like this.
  5. FEUO

FEUO Disciple (327) Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Cali problems.
  6. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

me too. this will undoubtedly become a regular stop for me (and i live on the East Side). it'll also be awesome to get new releases without having to drive to Barrelworks (not that i don't enjoy going to Barrelworks)
  7. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (641) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Goddamn, if I had a dollar for every time I heard (or read) someone from the Bay Area bash SoCal...

I'm originally from the Midwest but have been living in L.A. for the last 13yrs. I have several friends who've lived in both the Bay Area and here and they all tell me that people up there are always talking shit about us like it's some sort of competition. Little brother complex much? No one down here gives half a crap about what's going on up there outside the beers being brewed or a Giant getting busted for 'roids. No one (I know anyway) talks crap about the Bay Area b/c no one gives them a thought. Guess that means we win (IF it were a competition).

End of rant...

Agree that this area is more Marina Del Rey, not so much Venice. I live on the other end of the 90 Fwy in Culver City and I am so friggin' excited about this (for those who aren't from this specific area, the 90 is like 3 miles long). Can't wait to run into some fellow BA's there.

8. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (641) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

YES! You haven't officially been to Venice unless the girl you're with has been uncomfortably serenaded by this guy. It'd be like going to St. Louis and not seeing the arch, IMO.
    sirtomtom likes this.
  9. Miruguy

Miruguy Aspirant (206) Nov 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Harry Perry - saw him open for Janes Addiction once. Regarding the Bay Area/So. Cal "rivalry", I agree that it's pretty much one way. I've found that people in So Cal generally love the Bay Area, myself included (although last time I was there I saw a homeless guy fingerpainting on the sidewalk with his own excrement, which was a bit disconcerting). Back to the topic at hand - having a FW nearby sounds great, but I can't imagine it will be anything like Barrelworks (which is one of the most magical beer-related destinations I've ever been to). If it weren't for Barrelworks, the Buellton location is just a big (marginal) restaurant/bar with a decent selection of FW on tap.
    Xul likes this.
  10. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

So does San Diego suck too, or does SoCal == LA?
  11. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (580) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry Beer Trader

Hmm good point, San Diego gets a pass, people down there are pretty nice. But anywhere than LA would have been better.
  12. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (495) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Disagree. At the moment, there's no true brewery destination in LA proper, at least one that beer geeks care about. Sure there are some small breweries scattered throughout the region, and they seem to be doing fine, but there's a reason why they don't really get much discussion here. Having a location on the West Side, FW will be able to establish a presence that will reach both geeks as well as the general public. I'd bet rent is cheaper in Mar Vista/Marina than it is in San Francisco too.
  13. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (580) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Industry Beer Trader

Sure, but I don't live in SF and rent has nothing to do with this. You guys are taking this too seriously, I just want a FW spot closer to my house like everyone else :grinning:
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  14. Retsinis

Retsinis Champion (857) Sep 25, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

We all do, but you do have Russian River, which is lot closer to you then any of us in LA, and I'm sure some would trade this closer FW location for that, so it's a bit even I guess... maybe. As to the Venice FW location, glad to hear it, and looking forward to checking it out once it opens.
  15. sloflier

sloflier Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

According to Firestone it will feature a pilot brewery.
  16. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

Being is tourist trap is a reason. FW loves tourists. Just ask the muggers in Paso Robles.
  17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

People get mugged outside of FW in Paso?
  18. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Initiate (197) Dec 10, 2010 California

That makes no sense.
  19. chromebomb

chromebomb Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2009 California

Yea its like skid row don't go there ever.
  20. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

I've been a few times. Paso has some shady parts, but the only shady thing about FW is that there are no street lights right outside the brewery.
  21. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (549) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The Buellton location, on the other hand, is full of shady Ostriches that will mug you without a moments hesitation.
    sirtomtom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.