Release Firestone Walker's Vintage Barrel-Aged "XVII" Anniversary Ale Set for Release on November 2

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (717) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

My shop(s) never saw Velvet Merkin, but I hope the 17th hits here soon.

2. Cubatobaco

Beer Trader

Has this hit the stores in AZ? My girlfriend is in Phoenix and would love to be able to get her to pick one up for me. :)

3. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Sure did! Total Wines had the best deal at 19.99 a bottlebottle

Cubatobaco likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Initiate (166) Jan 26, 2013 Indiana
    Industry

One of my fav releases every year.... still have a few XVs that I am holding out on.....

5. atomic

atomic Disciple (328) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yes, I heard 14 started falling off already, no better time than now.
    Also please invite me, kthx

6. Cubatobaco

Beer Trader

Thank you! Is it still around or are they sold out?

7. MarcWP

Beer Trader

I'm sure they're still around. If one total wine doesn't have it another should. Good luck!

Cubatobaco likes this.
  8. BullBearHawk

BullBearHawk Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had 14 a couple months ago and it was drinking fantastic, even better than the 15 which I also love, 16 was a let down for me.

Phobicsquirrel and m34josh like this.
  9. ChrisMQ

ChrisMQ Aspirant (245) Jun 30, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I have the same and am waiting for the 17 to hit NYC (God knows when that'll be)

10. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Disciple (352) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader Subscriber

This has definitely hit Chicago. I just picked a bottle up from the Binny's on Grand (Limit 1bt pp).

11. EWR2STL

EWR2STL Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I haven't seen it in St. Louis yet...hopefully we get some...

12. Tcheese

Tcheese Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2011 North Carolina

So far they've been worth the price in my opinion. Wish I could pick it up here in NC. ISO

13. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Nevada
    Beer Trader

I did 13-17 on Wednesday. 13 was holding up fine and 14 was not in a falling off area either but the star of the show IMHO was 15.

mychalg9, m34josh and BullBearHawk like this.
  14. BullBearHawk

BullBearHawk Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

The 14 and 15 are definitely world class BA brews . Especially after a a couple years of age on them. Love Firestone 's barrel aged beers.

m34josh likes this.
  15. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Geez, over the weekend I went to Total Wine, 2 BevMos, and a Nugget market, and nobody had the 17th Anniversary ale... Not sure where else to look!

16. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

You seem to equate beer to sex quite a bit...just sayin'.

17. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (191) Jun 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Found bottles at trader joes for $19.99. The one in costa mesa. Pretty sure most of them got some

18. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

LOL, Costa Mesa is about 430 miles south of me.. but honestly, I've never seen ANY boxed Firestone Walker brews at any Trader Joes near me. Someone had mentioned they saw Anniversary Ale at Nugget market, but the one I went to was only displaying a whole bunch of F-W Double DBA with a big sign like it was brand new. Maybe it was for that store...

19. Lostmango

Lostmango Initiate (191) Jun 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Hehehe. Would be closer for you to go to the brewery. Are you getting any beat? 430 miles north from costa mesa puts you near rr. Bm me if you want to trade would be happy to see if they still have some

20. Brewcycler

Brewcycler Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2012 California

I feel the exact opposite. Strange.

My analysis is that the 16th was a step in the non-stout direction and is unique but the flavors were too subdued. Feel the same about the Merkin that came out recently. Just not enough kick, but perhaps my taste buds are spoiled. :)

21. CyberMonk

CyberMonk Initiate (35) May 18, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Just had XVII on draft last night at City Beer Store in SF. Really good--an interesting blend this year, not quite a stout but with many stout like characteristics (perhaps on account of the large percentage of Sticky Monkey this year?). Pretty hot right now too (unsurprising at 13.3%, biggest blend yet?), so a year or more will probably be really good for this beer.

MarcWP likes this.
  22. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

well it has a lot of bravo which a brown ale

23. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Devotee (480) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

surprisingly this isn't moving too fast around my area. Unless the beer jocks are really good at making them look the same all the time. maybe it's the 22 bones. but it's fine by me cuz I pick one up everytime I go in.

24. Phobicsquirrel

Beer Trader

Belmont had 13 through 16 as a pack today. Wouldn't mind getting it but 150 bones was too much for me.

25. MarcWP

Beer Trader

That's actually not too bad (well I probably wouldn't have dropped that amount either) considering what they cost at Barrelworks.

26. Phobicsquirrel

Beer Trader

Does bw have 14 and 15?

27. BradStokley

BradStokley Disciple (348) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I actually bought a bottle of XVI here in MD today. Couldn't believe it was still there!

28. MarcWP

Beer Trader

They had bottles when I was there. Had a taster of 14 which I thought seemed to be mellowing out quite a bit.

29. pcarney8

pcarney8 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Where was this?

30. A_Smith

A_Smith Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 New York

Any one see this in NJ or NYC yet?

31. BradStokley

BradStokley Disciple (348) Jan 19, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Dawson's

32. managersteve

managersteve Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 New Jersey

Will be on tap at The Office Beer Bar & Grill in Cranford around the first week of Feb

33. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (194) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

XVII was here in Brooklyn and Long Island. Some stores allotment was only a couple of bottles but others got lucky. Place in LI has it at $34.99 which is overpriced but probably still available. Grabbed mine for less. Could not resist the pretty gold box. :) Never did see Velvet Merkin in NYC.

34. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (222) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Looks like I missed out in upstate NY unless anyone knows a place with some left :(

35. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (190) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just showed up to my spot in South Jersey yesterday. It was around 20 bucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More