First beer explosion!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beeryurt, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beeryurt

Beeryurt Initiate (136) Mar 8, 2013 Wisconsin

So had a bottle of war hammer left in the basement, think I got the 6 pack of it Feb of this year and thought it was time to kill this last one. Put it on the counter to go grab my phone that was ringing, my girlfriend starts walking toward the bottle asking what I was having when "BANG" the bottle goes off like a freaking bomb, covered her in beer, thankfully the glass went flying past.

I'm having a mixed drink instead now, until my beer stops trying to kill me

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/683/3753

iguenard likes this.
  2. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

get 5 more and youd have a 6 shooter

3. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

Never had a problem with a Porter exploding or gushing or anything along those lines.

4. mlager90

mlager90 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 New Jersey

i never heard of exploding beer before

5. Beeryurt

Beeryurt Initiate (136) Mar 8, 2013 Wisconsin

this is from a older thread I found from the brewer at pipeworks

"Just want to throw some beer-geek-turned-pro-brewer knowledge into the mix here...

So, we've rated some 4000+ beers (the three of us Pipeworkers together) plus all the 10's of thousands of other bottles we've probably consumed in the process and I can't remember any bottles exploding in my cellar that weren't infected or done with fruit (i.e. still had some potential for fermentation).

Well, we learned very quickly, within the first week of distributing our own beer, that there seems be some acceptable bottle breakage in the beer industry that isn't exactly front-page news. We found that 1 out of 2000 or so bottles were having issue. We knew there was no way an infection would take hold like that and bust bottles that quickly, there wasn't anything left in the beer to ferment normally anyway, and the carb levels were all well within manufacturer recommended specs.

We immediately contacted the manufacturer about the problem and were told that there is an expected small percentage of bottle breakage due to defects in the glass manufacturing that just can't be weeded out. Large packaging breweries (Labatt for instance) has a bottle break on the line every 12 seconds due to this type of problem. So... having open, stored, drank and rated 10's of thousands of beer and not seen this problem it was somewhat confusing...

Those minor defects, combined with a finicky capper or general stress from shipping/handling the bottles (both empty, and full, to the distributor and then to the stores) can cause bottles to fracture at anytime, usually after a temperature (pressure) change.

Scared the crap out of us since we never came across it as raters (vocal drinkers). However, I guess it's just part of the beer industry. So the point is, no reason to rush to judgement about DL being infected, it could simply be a defective bottle, which is what it sounds like with the description of the break, clean at the neck?"

TastyIsBeer likes this.
  6. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Most I had was the top of a bottle of Certified Evil break clean off when I tried to open it.

I thought about drinking it anyway, but I wasn't too thrilled about drinking tiny pieces of glass.

7. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

I had a Duvel open itself once. No loss it just shot the cork out once I uncaged it. A bit of a startle though!

8. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

I've had a bomber of coffee stout explode, shoot beer 12 feet across the room, and the split in the glass was like a perfectly cut window. There was also beer on the wall, the fridge, the white counters (coffee stout..) and the ceiling. It was kind of amazing. Completely un-witnessed though. That was just our forensic analysis in the morning when we were like, WTF!!

9. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Ohio

I recently had a bottle of Ommegang Rare Vos, bottle date from 2010, pop its cork as soon as I took the cage off. It made me jump for sure.

10. Treezilla

Treezilla Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Colorado

I recently found a growler with about a third of beer in it that had been sitting for who knows, i go to open it and clean it out and the force was just so built up that it exploded in my hands when i opened it. Beer all over the kitchen, that was a bummer. I guess the lesson is drink your damn beer. :slight_smile:

11. plunkettvt

plunkettvt Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2011 Maine

rising tide ursa minor blew out the bottom of a capped bottle for my brother after a trip from ME to NJ

12. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

i've only had one beer ever gusher it was really random, what causes that anyway? i cant imagine just seeing one explode out of no where.....good thing it wasn't a whalebr0 :grimacing:

13. jmccullough108

jmccullough108 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Missouri

I heard this was happening to some of the Stone IRS releases this year. Although when it comes to opening one and it exploding, I remember watching one of Greg's videos when that happened. It was the Cigar City Dos Costas Grapefruit. Never had it happen to me though, thankfully!

14. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,022) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Does your girlfriend have a really, really, really high-pitched voice?

15. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Disclaimer- Was in a state where open containers are legal for passengers.
    A few years ago, a couple friends and I picked up some presumably old Guinness draught bottles from a gas station on a road-trip. I opened one with my lighter, and the cap shot off- bouncing off my window and the front windshield before landing on the driver's lap. Another cap made an audible noise bouncing off of the felt ceiling.
    Kinda scary stuff! Especially if a cap were to nail the driver. From there-after, anytime I crack one in a car I get a little nervous :stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]

16. CraftBeerMe

CraftBeerMe Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2011 Virginia

I guess there's a difference in carb-bombs when homebrewing vs. commercial breweries in this case; otherwise, I've had a few explode on me from a batch of rocket fuel I once made. Thought someone was opening fire in my apartment at 5 am!

russpowell likes this.
  17. deschutes_fan

deschutes_fan Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California

A watched a friend try to open a heineken and the bottle snapped at the neck and beer went every were. We actually saved the broken top (with cap intact) just as a funny memory. Sounds like it was one of these defective bottles, very interesting.

18. readyski

readyski Defender (602) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I've had the cork jump out a couple times - it's always a good idea to keep your hand on it when you undo the cage

19. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (9,644) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Do you home brew? If not, I could tell you some true-life stories. :confused:

russpowell likes this.
  20. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I wouldn't even think about it no matter how rare and great the beer, I want to live to have another.

joelwlcx likes this.
  21. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I had a four pack, I wasn't stupid.

I found it disappointing either way. It was rather underwhelming, and it had a phenolic, tire like, aftertaste that I only had two other times: once with New Belgium Coconut Curry Hefeweizen (which tasted amazing, had it not been for the aftertaste), and once with a Pinot Noir.

22. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Canada (BC)

So you walked away from the bottle, your girlfriend went towards the bottle and it mysteriously broke?

Maybe she dropped it and it's all an elaborate cover-up from there :wink:

23. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Aspirant (213) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

When I worked at a liquor store in the states this happened from time to time. I remember a 6-pack of Ballast Point, their kolsch I think, went off one by one once. One day a bottle started leaking and foaming a bit. No on thought much of it, just got rid of the bottle. The next day another. The third day a bottle exploded on the shelf, and a few hours later another. Beer and glass everywhere. I took the final two and opened them outside; the beer shot out of from the top after opening a good foot or two into the air.

24. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

I've had homebrew bottles blow up before, one time in my hand (jamming it into a ice cooler, luckily I only got a few cuts).

never had commercial bottles blow-up tho.

25. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (425) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Just had a Struise-made (so it says on the label) Westoek XX (not single X -- what's going on there? anyway...) almost completely empty itself, audibly expelling beer not just over the lip but physically into the air, or so it seemed. But no glass breakage, no projectile bottle-vomit onto the ceiling. I don't know the flavor profile well enough to know if something went badly awry -- couple sips worth of captured foam settled down into a not particularly big and somwhat sour tripel -- or it was just "one of those." As I like to say on a ski lift, mountain road, zip line, that kind of thing -- there must be a failure rate and it's not zero. That goes for glass as well as beer. But do keep a hand on any corks, BTW, that is fairly common. People who helped clean up for the 3F disaster (crossing myself) report having corks fire *through* the plastic picnic table they were trying to use as a backstop. But that at least had an obvious and anticipated cause.

26. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (425) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

... And there goes No. 2. I tried another bottle and this was def'ly a volcano send liquid hard into the air. I guess I'm into shame-on-me territory for trying again. Thoughts on causes, effects and any mitigations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.