Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

First competition...question on bottle filling

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by groovy24, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovy24

groovy24 Jul 13, 2007 Wisconsin

Looking to enter my first competition but the beer I am looking to enter is currently kegged. Without a beer gun what is the best method to fill 3-12 oz bottles.

Cheers

2. sarcastro

sarcastro Sep 20, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Filling straight from the tap works, although not optimal. I've won awards filling straight from the tap. It is best to clean the taps as much as possible and use a tube that goes to the bottom of the bottle. Also, get the bottles as cold as the beer and, bottle as close to the competition as possible.

3. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

inchrisin likes this.
  4. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

To add, you'll spend about 30 seconds filling each bottle. Be patient. Burp your keg and pour yourself a pint through the tube. You want all the extra pressure out you can get so you don't foam. You'll want to run your pressure at about 3 or 4 psi. Just enough to run it through the system.

5. groovy24

groovy24 Jul 13, 2007 Wisconsin

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe