First time racking onto a yeast cake...

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ajaxivan, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajaxivan

ajaxivan Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2008 Pennsylvania

...and its bubbling slow and steady but the kraeusen is next to nothing. I brewed a 1.058 OG Saison racked on a cake from a 1.054 Saison on Wednesday and while there is activity it's very calm. I assume it's fine just curious why so unimpressive. I would've guessed using the cake would have resulted in the opposite.

2. Chugmonkey

Chugmonkey Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 Wisconsin

Depends on the yeast and temp. Watch your temp. I will usually use less than the whole cake if it's a really rowdy yeast and it's summer and I can't keep temp down. Cleaning foamy messes off of everything is no fun.

3. ajaxivan

Forgot to mention the yeast, it's Wyeast Fr Saison 3711. The temp has been pretty steady at 70, i have been warming it up a little at night.

4. cracker

cracker Pundit (893) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

How long ago did you rack onto the cake and how 'old' was the cake?

5. ajaxivan

I bottled the first beer while brewing the second then racked on the cake the same day.

6. cracker

Ok but how long was the first beer in primary? Also how long ago did you rack? 24hrs? more? less?

7. ajaxivan

The first beer was in primary just under 3 weeks and i racked onto the cake approx 48 hrs ago.

8. cracker

Sounds totally normal to me then.

9. jthahn

jthahn Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2009 Indiana

i can tell you that my experience with 3711 is that it doesn't create a very large krausen. the saisons i have made have all been right around the same gravity as yours and they didnt ever create very large krausens. certainly nothing like high gravity beers. i wouldn't put much thought into it, i'm sure its good.

10. Chugmonkey

Chugmonkey Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 Wisconsin

There you go. Some yeasts just don't look like they are doing much with piles of krausen & such. I'm not familiar with 3711. Personally I prefer these yeasts that behave themselves.

Don't pitch onto an entrie cake of 1272 american ale 2. That sucker made the biggest mess ever for me. It gushed for days. It was like having my own little volcano in the basement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.