Flash aging BCBS

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Anonymous1, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 Illinois

I started realizing that I would hardly ever crack 22oz bombers of big beers because I could never drink them all in one sitting so I bought a vacuum wine sealer.

I started noticing that often times I enjoyed the more oxidized version of big stouts on the second day after they'd been vaccum sealed and placed in the fridge for 24 hours. Last night I accidentally cracked a BCBS '12 before we'd finished another beer, and immediatley vaccumed sealed the bottle to drink today.

The beer tastes incredible. Like a 2009 or 2008 BCBS. The flash oxidation after about 14 hours has caused the heat from the bourbon to mellow out, and there's tons of fudgy, chocolatey notes pushing through. Not sure if anyone else has experimented with this type of thing.

2. zipper8650

zipper8650 Initiate (0) May 10, 2011 New York

this is JUST what my impatience has been waiting for!!!

Did you do a before/after tasting?

3. Anonymous1

No before/after tasting, just enjoying the brew right now. I'm surprised that there's still quite a bit of carbonation.

A before/after tasting may be in the works now that you mention it!

4. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 Vermont

Doesn't a wine sealer suck out gas? Wouldn't that just leave flatter beer then when you started? The one my girlfriend uses doesn't create a seal unless the bottles under vacuum, and hence cant seal carbonated bottles.
    I actually contemplated this after falling asleep with a few oz of bcbs in my glass, and sampling it the next day. I had a very similar experience, and it tasted just like vintage brew.

5. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

Are you talking about the manual hand pump vaccum? Always liked slight oxidation in big brews like that for the same reason. Might have to give this a shot.

6. owen49

owen49 Initiate (37) Jun 13, 2009 Ohio

7. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

would u think there is a considerable difference from the vaccum sealer and the champagne sealer. Does the champagne one just "seal the bottle instead of vacuuming the o2 out?

8. Schwantz

Schwantz Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Florida

Ok you've got my attention....you clever fellas are this cave mans reason to be here. I appreciate this thread. Thx.

9. owen49

owen49 Initiate (37) Jun 13, 2009 Ohio

The joke is on me - I'm totally finishing this Parabola tonight.

Johnnyhitch - I think that's exactly the idea, that the champagne sealer seals the bottle instead of vacuuming. No idea whether it's actually effective, but I'll pretend it's the absolute truth until someone actually tests it. It's also a little less annoying than the wine/vacuum sealer (in my experience).

10. jhillwastaken

jhillwastaken Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2012 Illinois

The Bruery sells a champagne sealer on their website (obviously intended for the beers). I was just contemplating grabbing one to try it. It'd be nice to open a few different beers without the intention of finishing them the same day and since the sealers are cheap (the Bruery one is $5) you could buy a bunch if you wanted to open more than a few for tastings and such.

11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Sounds like a waste of BCBS but to each his own.

12. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

Yes - it sucks out the gas. There's a one-way valve on those vacuum sealers that's used to keep air out of the bottle. It's a great way to instantly decarb your beer. I have no idea why people would do that, unless they love flat beer.

I use the champagne toppers. On some bombers it doesn't work well without a rubber band, but it keeps the beer far better than a vacuum sealer would (shit makes me lol.) It is also exposed to oxygen so it still has time to "flash age."

13. Anonymous1

I have had no problem using the vacuum sealer. It doesn't make the beer flat. I believe it's intended to remove all of the oxygen sitting in the bottle between the seal and the liquid. It doesn't literally suck out the CO2 trapped in the beer that is easily brought to life with a vigorous pour.

gpawned likes this.
  14. jedwards

jedwards Initiate (133) Feb 3, 2009 California

It does, just not very much of it. If it could pull a harder vacuum you could absolutely pull the CO2 out of solution (I've done it with a vacuum aspirator!).

I've done this intentionally and accidentally a few times -- recently opened a small barleywine vertical with some friends that we didn't finish and poured all the dregs into a 330ml flip-top. Had it the next day and it tasted like a very old beer that had seen some rough times. Would be curious to try it with two bottles (leaving one unopened), and then do some proportional blends between the two to find out your perfect flavor.

I've spoken with a few brewers about ongoing projects of theirs where they intentionally heavily oxidize a beer (either through long-term aging in a low-flavor (multiple-use wine) barrel or through more extreme means), then blend that into a barleywine or Flanders red to give it characteristic aged flavors without risking the whole batch. It's a very interesting approach.

ShogoKawada likes this.
  15. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Initiate (0) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

You can use anything that creates an airtight seal to keep beer for a day. It will actually keep pretty well for two days (as long as you don't open it in the middle day). No need for a vacuum... just the $1.25 Joie things they sell at World Market.

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Im still not sure how people cant finish a 22oz or a 750 alone. Oh well.

Cheers!

Gushue3, SkiBum22, Levitation and 2 others like this.
  17. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

There's a huge difference between a vacuum sealer and a champagne sealer in practice. I've done both. No, it won't pull out all of the CO2 in solution, but CO2 will slowly work its way out of the vacuum-sealed bottle overnight. If you leave the vacuum sealer on the bottle long enough, the beer will go flat. Using a champagne sealer, on the other hand, will keep the bottle pressurized.

There is no magical force holding CO2 in the bottle. Once the pressure gradient within the bottle exceeds that outside the bottle, CO2 will simply dissipate out. And I'm sure it does constantly overnight, even in the fridge. Pretty simple physics.

18. Anonymous1

Good to know, thanks! If I start to have issues with carbonation with the vacuum sealer, I will try my luck with a champagne sealer.

It's probably helped that I've always finished the bottle on the second night. Never waited more than a day in practice.

19. Anonymous1

I'm a runner and at 5'7" 140lbs, after 22oz - 25oz of say 14% beer, I am quite intoxicated. This is fine on the weekends, but not so great for after work beer with dinner.

Also I rarely want 22oz of say Bourbon County in any one sitting, 10-12oz is more than enough to satisfy.

ThatCracker likes this.
  20. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2011 Texas

I have just used a home brew bottle caper if I couldn't/didn't want to finish the last beer of the night and have never had an issue with the next day

21. DQuintero

DQuintero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2008 Texas

stumbled upon a very similar experience last week

had my first ever score of '12 bcbs.. tried a 4oz pour, and im not diggin the dominating barrel flavor. FF 36 hrs
    (bottle had been in the fridge with cap and teflon tape) i pour another 4oz's and like magic, a whole different brew emerged ! wasnt even aware or this flash aging concept. i had intended to sit on these but may try to duplicate my findings on account of this successfully realized technique :slight_smile: yes it was flat, but well worth the exchange imho.

22. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (397) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

This is exactly what I use too. Used it for DIPAs and BCBS and it's great. The DIPAs did lose a little carbonation, but were still plenty enjoyable. The BCBS was top notch. Just remembered I've got probably the last 8 oz or so of a Bitch's Brew that a friend left behind that I sealed up with that. Something to look forward to when I get home..

23. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

flash aging = letting it breathe a little

Levitation likes this.
  24. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Have you ever had Dark Lord? I can't even finish 1oz.

FosterJM likes this.
  25. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

You should try microwaving your beer then re-cooling it in the fridge. It simulates all the reactions that proper cellaring would.

Just use this calculation to get the number of seconds you need to microwave the beer:

((A + V) ÷ 4.28) × Yd

A = alcohol percentage by volume
    V = Volume of Package (You must leave it capped while microwaving, ok to lay on side)
    Yd = Years of aging desired

26. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

so that swing top didn't hold up? The bottles were open for an hour or so I guess...

27. jedwards

jedwards Initiate (133) Feb 3, 2009 California

Well, I sort of liked it, but it definitely didn't hold up. I blended some into an Upland Winter Warmer and that was pretty tasty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.