Flavors that go (pairs) well together in beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by imtroy703, Jul 17, 2020.

1. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (401) Nov 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Mine:

#1 Lime and ginger
    #2 Mango and hot pepper
    #3 Coffee and vanilla

utahbeerdude likes this.
  2. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,252) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Smoked malt and black patent malt
    Various caramel malts and various roasted malts
    Lots of low alpha aroma hops and a pale grist
    Saison yeasts and less expressive Brett strains
    Cascade and Willamette (for an old school vibe)
    Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial
    Simcoe, Chinook, and Columbus
    Brown malt and earthy hops

3. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Can’t say I’ve had it before so can’t tell you how good it is yet, but one of my next batches will be a lightly soured ale with mango and ginger.

Cherries and chocolate/roasted malts, maybe some cacao nibs or cocoa powder. Chocolate porter, cherry stout. You know what I’m talking about

MrOH and riptorn like this.
  4. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Citra and Mosaic
    Sour and Apricot
    Old School C Hops and Rye Malt

MrOH and riptorn like this.
  5. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Malt,hops, water, and yeast has always made nice beer in my experience.

Don’t cut yourself on my edge :sunglasses:

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,659) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I recognize that this is a homebrewing focused question but permit me to expand the discussion to beer blending. Two beer styles that blend very well together IMO are a Pumpkin beer with lots of spices and a Chocolaty beer (e.g., Young's Double Chocolate Stout).

I have not done this but if one were to try to homebrew a beer that tastes like this blend I suppose brewing a chocolaty stout/porter (using actual chocolate or cocoa) and adding some pumpkin pie spices (e.g., McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice) would get you there. Has anybody brewed this sort of beer?

Cheers!

PapaGoose03 and MrOH like this.
  7. MrOH

I'd figure that doing something that blurs the line between an American and English porter (going by current BJCP guidelines) would be about right.

FWIW, I like spiced beers, but most of the stuff on the market is pretty one-dimensional. One of the best liked homebrews I ever made (at least among friends and family) was an Old Ale (of the strong dark mild variety), that used a spice blend similar to pumpkin spice, just a bit more complex. Ought to revisit that one.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

I am sorta there as well.What I like about the blend I discussed above is that the chocolaty flavors seem to very much complement the pumpkin pie spice flavors, well it does for my personal palate.

Cheers!

MrOH likes this.
  9. MrOH

Yep, spice for the sake of spice is not tasty to me. The commercial pumpkin spice beers I've had that I enjoy tend to have a well integrated caramel malt presence, without being too sweet, and the bit of chocolate/roast that you get in in the pumpkin stouts or whatever is very nice, if they're not too sweet.

10. JackHorzempa

Society

I am not a big fan of pumpkin beers in general but I do enjoy Dogfish Head Punkin for reasons similar to what you stated. The base beer for Punkin is a Brown Ale and I enjoy the malty flavor of that beer accompanied by the judicious use of spices; the flavors complement each other nicely in that beer IMO.

Cheers!

MrOH and SFACRKnight like this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,486) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I also enjoy coffee flavors with pumpkin spices. Elysian had that pumpkin stout, howl at the moon maybe?, that was tasty. Avery Pump[ky]n was also amazing.

MrOH likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

There is a beer from Elysian labeled as Dark O' The Moon, is that the beer you are referencing?

Below is how this beer is described on BA:

“Notes: Stout brewed with pumpkin, and pumpkin seeds with cinnamon added. Spookily smooth and chocolatey with a hint of cinnamon - brewed annually for Elysian's Great Pumpkin Beer Festival.”

There is mention of “chocolatey” so maybe I would enjoy drinking this beer. Kinda funny that they only use one of the pumpkin pie spices – only cinnamon.

Cheers!

13. MrOH

If you want to make something known, make it known.

14. JackHorzempa

Society

I suppose. I guess I just like the combo of pumpkin pie spices (Nutmeg, Ginger, Cinnamon, Allspic). I have yet to homebrew a pumpkin type beer but if I did I will be using a blend of those four spices (e.g., McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice).

Cheers!

15. MrOH

I got that statement backwards.Less is more when you want complexity, more is more when you're just trying to get a point across.

#15 MrOH, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Same difference!?!:confused:

Cheers!

MrOH likes this.
  17. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (254) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Lighter beers: