Flying into Charlottesville, VA from Seattle-driving to Harrisonburg

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by pattermj, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pattermj

pattermj Initiate (0) May 31, 2008 Virginia

So I am coming into Harrisonburg and driving from Charlottesville and looking for suggestions. I should have most of an afternoon to make the drive and I do want to see the area since this is a job interview and seeing the area is critical, so a little out of the way is not a a big deal. I already see Harrisonburg has a few nice bottle stores and bars so mainly looking for a great brewpub option or somewhere I can get amazing barleywines/stouts on the way (if Harrisonburg is the best bet than maybe I should just drive there but I would like to see the region a little). I will be flying in from Seattle so it is possible I could bring a few beers if anyone in Harrisonburg would be up for a bottle share or trade, and I do have a few beers in my collection I would be up for trading. I doubt much of it would count as insanely special all things considered but if VA doesn't get specific distribution maybe something can be traded.

thanks

2. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Look into Blue Mountain, Devil's Backbone and Wild Wolf. I think this is the type of tour you are looking for--beautiful country and pretty damn decent beer (some award-winning). There are others in the general area--Starr Hill in Crozet and one or two in and around Staunton now. There are also several places in C-ville proper that others in the know (Seansei?) can vouch for.

3. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Savant (939) Jul 10, 2005 Virginia

In Harrisonburg check out 3 brothers.

Mipper and ElGordito like this.
  4. ElGordito

ElGordito Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia

As @stereosforgeeks mentioned in Harrisonburg check out 3 Brothers. For bottle shops go downtown and check out Mdtowne Bottle Shop. I live in Harrisonburg so I'll send you a BM.

5. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (245) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I am an old JMU Alum. I live near Pizza Boy in PA, so we may need to talk my friend! Maybe work out a trade and you could throw in an extra Jess Dog or three? :wink: Is Jess's Quick Lunch still open? Man I loved that place. It was a 2 minute walk to there from a pool room I used to manage while working my way through school back in the late 80's.............and yes I'm old:grinning:

6. atrocity

atrocity Meyvn (1,126) Dec 18, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Definitely check out 3 Brothers in Harrisonburg, the best brewery around the Cville/Hburg area. I myself just moved to Charlottesville 2 months ago after living in Harrisonburg for the past 10 years. Charlottesville has a nice beer bar and bottleshop called Beer Run that has a pretty good selection. For Harrisonburg you'll definitely want to check out Midtown Market and Midtown Bottleshop which is right downtown and has great stuff and nice prices.

ElGordito likes this.
  7. ElGordito

ElGordito Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia

I have wanted to try some Pizza Boy brews. Maybe some Jess' dogs would hitch a ride with me if we did an IP trade. :slight_smile:

8. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (245) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

OMG!!!! That would be amazing! We will have to do that.

9. seanchai

seanchai Champion (847) May 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

In Charlottesville proper there are two very solid breweries, Three Notch'd and Champion. Everything both breweries produce is at least decent and most a lot better than that. Champion is probably a little more experimental with some of their stuff and I prefer their taproom atmosphere (always great music playing) while Three Notch'd is a touch more corporate in feel.

I echo the recommendations for Three Brothers in Harrisonburg; they have gotten very good, very quickly. Three Notch'd actually has a taproom in Harrisonburg that they've opened recently but I haven't been.

10. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,066) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Charlottesville is an Asheville beginning to happen (I hope). Three chops or notches was George Washington's survey mark. I've read about the survey of the North Carolina/Virginia border by a young George Washington, and having gone to school in Richmond, Three Chopt Rd is a strong memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.