FoBAB 2021

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by whatruDOINdragic, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Whoa. How did I miss the to-go portion. Do you have to attend in order to purchase a to-go 6 pack or can anyone order online?

That's pretty much on point, but needs the addition of:
    -It's a great way to get way more fucked up than you planned on.
    -If you are a BCBS fan, it's also the showcase for the new GI stuff well ahead of Black Friday.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  2. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

You can order online starting tomorrow. Pickup is at the venue, but you don't need to attend the in person festival to pickup.

3. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Harder question: So what stouts don't I buy this season to fit this unplanned expense in my budget?

4. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I get that they want to make the take home Fobab as realistic as the in-person one by giving you the mixed 6 packs of beer to sample, but is it necessary for all the volunteers to fart in the beer tote prior to pick-up?

core42 likes this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I was curious, so I read what was on the FOBAB page about the 6-packs to go. $60 is a lot (for me) to spend on luck. Also, I dunno, maybe it's the cynic in me, but it feels surprising to me to think that every beer that is entered has to be submitted with 12 12-oz bottles. So if GI brings DBTBBCBS, 12 lucky people get one?

Someone tell me I'm crazy.

There's at least 150 breweries, and if each bring only 3 beers (some bring more, right?), then you're talking at least 450 beers, which equates to...900 6-packs, minimum. Doesn't that seem like a lot for them to sell? Am I underestimating beer nerdery?

6. sahd-1

sahd-1 Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

They sold out of them last year, but granted, that was the only way to consume FoBAB. Of the 12 beers I got last year, I was only disappointed with about 2.

7. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Was it worth $60 for a 6-pack? How many of those ended up being BA stouts?

I'm not much of a sour guy, but my sister is. Perhaps this could be a reason to purchase one of these that would also provide cost sharing.

8. sahd-1

Trader

I bought 2 last year. This is what I wound up with:
    FOBAB 2020

Horus-Pallas’s Pere (stout)

Cerebral-Vanilla Here be Monsters (stout)

Little Beaver-Adventures Ahead (stout)

Taxman-Maple Vanilla Stout

BBGB-Bourbon barrel Quad

Wolf’s Ridge-cognac Barrel Dire Wolf (stout)

Hopewell-Four

Wiseman-A Wonderful Trip (rasp Brett PA)

Nebraska-Sallyweiss (Chardonnay hefe)

Holzlager-Coffe Kolsch

Avery-Pomona

Half Acre-Cliffs

The quad and the coffee kolsch were the only stinkers.

ChicagoJ, core42 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  9. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I see what you’re doing here. Trying to convince me. It might work.

10. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I thought they came in the formats donated last year if I remember reading the reviews here correctly. BCBS came in the standard 16.9oz bottles and I think some people said they got the 750ml of FFF's offering. I doubt anyone would complain if they got more than 12ozs so it is easier to just say you are getting 6 12oz beers? I can't verify this info.

11. Beer_Economicus

Trader

If that's the case, that makes it an even better value. I'm just a very risk-averse person, so the idea of going into it blind makes it a non-shoe in for me.

12. randjuke

randjuke Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I think about a third of mine were BA stouts or porters Was it worth it, I would say no since it's basically a crap shoot. I regarded it as a donation to the cause last year so I don't regret it, but my gosh in Chicago there are so many excellent beers you can just go and buy.

13. kodt

Trader

Yes, but only beers entered for competition are included. Goose Island pours a bunch of stuff at their booth at FoBAB that they don't enter into competition, so those would not be included.

That said, people last year got 750ml bottles of 3 Floyds Chemtrailmix, Phase 3 Eunoia, and Phase 3 Minutiae, all beers that sell for ~$300 on secondary. So yeah, 12 lucky people will get some really rare stuff.

Me on the other hand, I got 3 Chicago shelf beers, and 3 out of market beers that are things you can pickup direct from the brewery if you visit. So that was a bit disappointing, but the bottles were worth the $60.

Can't say I am not tempted for the chance to get something special though.

#173 kodt, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  14. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Really appreciate the honest feedback from everyone. Hope it helps others as much as it helps me.

15. sahd-1

Trader

I’m going to the event and seriously considering getting a to-go pack too.

16. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Apr 14, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

Tickets still available for both sessions as of yesterday. Maybe looking at a very not-crowded fest?

Also, where's everyone heading before/after the fest? My group is looking to hit Maplewood, Hopewell, and Rev on Saturday evening.

17. Jplachy

Jplachy Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

That sounds awful.

18. monstershu

monstershu Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Honestly, pre- or post- FOBAB drinking sounds like a recipe for disaster. You’re going to get plenty of beer to drink there. Find places to get carbs and water. Not even joking.

19. sahd-1

Trader

Friends, don’t let friends post-game at FoBAB.

REVZEB, DeadWax, SWChi and 2 others like this.
  20. kodt

Trader

It is theoretically possible to drink more after FoBAB, but it has yet to be done.

JJ_17, DeadWax, monstershu and 2 others like this.
  21. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

To add to the posts above from @Jplachy @kodt @sahd-1 @monstershu ...
    I have been to FoBAB many times, and seen folks pre-game on the train or at a local bar and it's all an incredible WASTE of $$ and time. (that is, it all comes back up later and you feel like shit).The best pre-game is having a meal at Manny's with some pastrami and a potato pancake!
    I have also seen folks do a post-game, but it has never ended well.
    The best post-game is to drink water and chill with friends. (friends that will help watch over everyone).
    However, it is possible to leave the afternoon session on Saturday at 5pm, take a nice long drinking break (and maybe a nap), and maybe make some stops later with someone else driving.
    Good luck and have fun!

REVZEB, DeadWax, SWChi and 5 others like this.
  22. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I don't think my group has ever collectively finished a glass of beer between us the times we have post gamed at a bar or brewery after a beer fest.

23. sahd-1

Trader

Better advice has never been offered. Unfortunately the new venue isn’t as close to Manny’s as the Forum was.

dtx00 and VinHalen54 like this.
  24. ktr5010

ktr5010 Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

In 2018 went to Kuma's Corner in the West Loop after with a couple others to get a burger. Well they had two bottles of Vanilla Rye for $50 each. Drank one between us but couldn't get to the second so I asked if I could put my name on it for later. Went back about a month later and asked if they still had it and sure enough they did. That was a much more enjoyable bottle then.

25. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Those servers are better people than me. I definitely would have killed the bottle and said we couldn't find it.

26. DeadWax

DeadWax Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

My group and I eventually found that a mid-game was the best way to go to have the best experience all the way through. We had the Imbibe VIP power hour at noon, hit all the ones we thought might be gone later, then around 1:45 we would take a walk to Jim’s Original, eat, and walk back to then just graze for anything that sounded good from 2:30-close. The cool walk and the food made the second half of the event (and the post event) much more enjoyable.

Pre-game drinking ruins the experience imo- it’s already a special enough event on its own and you are just blowing out your palate and reducing the amount you can try at Fobab. Post-game drinking is just an exercise in masochism.

27. REVZEB

REVZEB Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

My go pre-fobab tradition is 2 packed sandwiches on the train in and WATER, it's a marathon and you want to leave plenty of room for ba goodness.

SWChi and DeadWax like this.
  28. randjuke

Trader

I would normally pick up a couple of hot dogs from Jim's and eat them while waiting in line. Not sure what I'm going to do this year, there doesn't seem to be much around.

DeadWax likes this.
  29. MaizeandBrew_ChicagoTrue

MaizeandBrew_ChicagoTrue Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I bought 2 tickets (Saturday afternoon session), but got sick and don't want to risk exposing others... anyone have any discount buyers?

I'll sell them for 30% off ($60 each).

30. pudgym29

pudgym29 Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

Maybe, just maybe, things are slowly restarting.
    That is: Would it be FoBAB if the weather Friday night did not involve standing outside in freezing cold and precipitation for 30+ minutes prior to opening? :grimacing::rolling_eyes::frowning2::beer::whale2:

REVZEB, SWChi, dman127 and 1 other person like this.
  31. Spurts_of_Funkiness

Spurts_of_Funkiness Jul 25, 2019 Illinois

Will the UIC Pavilion no backpack rule be enforced for this event?

32. Jplachy

Trader

https://www.fobab.com/faq

SWChi likes this.
  33. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Can't you just bring a purse like a normal person?

mbockstruck30, core42 and GuyFawkes like this.
  34. Jplachy

Trader

35. Beer_Economicus

Trader

36. Spurts_of_Funkiness

Spurts_of_Funkiness Jul 25, 2019 Illinois

I will bring my purse pants. Cargo pants.

core42 and Redrover like this.
  37. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Maybe the only one submitting for judging? And will still have all variants to try?

38. tiffman

tiffman Dec 3, 2014 Illinois

I see both Fourteen and Double Barrel. And yeah, those'll be the ones entered in the competition.

JFresh21 likes this.
  39. randjuke

Trader

No coat check this year, you're supposed to leave coats in a seat unattended. Looks like people will need heavy coats tomorrow and Saturday , too.

REVZEB likes this.
  40. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

So they’ll check your vaccine status, but not your coat?

GuyFawkes and randjuke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.