FoBAB 2021

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by whatruDOINdragic, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I have to agree with this as someone who has been going for almost a decade. It was an unbelievable collection of beers. Reading through this thread alone there were so many others that people loved that I didn't get to try and I still felt like I was able to try an insane number of amazing beers. FOBAB is truly one of the best days of the year.

Some random thoughts for people that don't mind long posts...

-Against the Grain Bo and Luke, what happened to this beer? I remember having it on tap maybe 4ish years ago and thinking it was spectacular. I poured out my taster last night.

-Bottle Logic Deprecophobia, amazed this didn't medal. Probably my best in show of the night. Just an absolutely perfect BA stout.

-Desthil's Dosvidanyas are still as good as ever.

-I was pretty surprised when DB Parabola won gold, I didn't think much of it honestly. Hailstorm's offering right next to it, Vlad vs. Zombie vs. Shark was much superior IMO. If you replaced DB Parabola with BL's I think they would have gotten that one right.

-Both Hop Butcher offerings underwhelmed, and their barleywine offering was, frankly, bad.

-Both Mikerphone offerings didn't do a ton for me either. Well, well, well was well, really hot.

-Both Phase Three beers absolutely knocked it out of the park and could/should have medaled in their categories.

-Imperial Oak 2 Year Quiet Giant was a real let down. I remember it being a very good offering two years ago, an under the radar hit, this one was just not good.

-As others said, Werk Force's DB Sleepy Bear was a real treat.

-3 Floyds brought Loadstar, which I was super glad to be able to try, and Rrari which has sadly faded from what it once was. Loadstar was still firing on all cylinders though.

-Despite all the hype for Xtra Dubl Benthic, I thought it was merely very good.

-Despite all the hype on Lua, I actually thought Here was not good. But I did really enjoy Peak Luxury so thanks for whoever shouted that one out.

-The Cuppa beers are really a lot, and I can't decide if I mean that in a good or bad way.

-I also agree with the person who said they poured out Prairie's DB Vanilla Noir, not impressed.

-Whiskey Hill had a couple of very tasty offerings.

-While I probably wouldn't have given Short Fuse a medal for Precious Little Treats, it was a very nice offering.

-Any worries about More's barrel program I think can go away now. I really liked both Roaming Elephant and Mendhi.

-My other real star of the show was Verboten's double oaked cognac grow old with you. An absolutely breathtaking beer in the vein of Mineshaft Gap. I honestly think it deserved gold over VSOJ.

-I wish I had tried more of the wild offerings, but the ones I did have were very good. I was surprised The Lost Abbey beers didn't medal, especially Yellow Bus. The beer that won best in show I thought was solid but a bit surprised it won best in show.

-A final shout out to the cider that won gold, Caramel Apple Cider was exceptional. I went with my missus this year and she wanted to try it so we did and wow were we glad we did.

-Finally, to wrap it all up, the Goose offerings. I'm so glad I sat out on lotteries this year honestly. I think it's a bit of a down year for regular BCS 2021 which I was a bit bummed by. We tried the cherry wood one which was alright, the first sip was tasty and then the later sips were a bit overbearing. I thought Toasted was very smoky in an overwhelming/off putting way, I won't be seeking a bottle. I actually sort of agree with the Cola take, I wouldn't seek it out but I didn't really hate it either. The only one I am interested in seeking out at this point is 14. It was a real treat to try it side by side with Prop 2014 - they really knocked it out of the park in terms of replicating what Prop 2014 is/was.

All in all, a great year for FOBAB. If I were to do a top 5 list, in no particular order it would be...

-Bottle Logic Deprecophobia
    -Verboten Brewing Double Oaked Cognac Grow Old With You
    -Phase Three Minutiae
    -Phase Three Eunoia 2
    -The Lost Abbey Yellow Bus

364 days until next FOBAB :slight_frown:

pudgym29, Sabtos, VinHalen54 and 13 others like this.
  2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

@HawksBeerFan throwing medals around like they are participation trophies.

core42, SWChi, vicodin_tears1 and 2 others like this.
  3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

I’ll give a little push back one this one. Parabola and Dosvidonya are very similar beers. Dosvidonya always has more umami and soy, (BrickStone dark secret shares this quality but adds more sweetness) while parabola is always perfectly roasted malt mimicking the darkest of dark chocolate. Both are bitter, dry, and outdated by today’s pastrystout standards. I’m surprised you liked one and not the other. I thought DB parabola was just a significantly better version of old school BA stout. It was likely the best parabola I’ve ever tasted, aside from the coffee variant

GuyFawkes, core42 and HawksBeerFan like this.
  4. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I’ve only had Dos 1 time, but I thought it was nothing like Parabola. To me Parabola tastes a lot like BCBS with 2-3 years of age. Dos is very dry by comparison to my palate, and lacks the punch.

Just adding my opinion. I love reading how everyone’s palate differs.

beardown2489 likes this.
  5. beardown2489

To me, parabola has much more bitterness both from roast and hops. It’s not as slick and oily as BCBS and usually seems to have more carbonation that Goose puts in BCBS. I love both.

VodkaPong87 likes this.
  6. core42

core42 May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Picked up my FOBAB To Go this morning & received:

- 048 // Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.-Chico // Barrel-Aged Narwhal :rolling_eyes:
    - 051 // Tighthead Brewing Company // Chocolate Malty Balls
    - 302 // Imperial Oak Brewing // Savage Oak - Currant Ruby
    -
    112 // Prairie Ales // Double Vanilla Noir

- 098 // Modern Times Beer // Peak Luxury Imperial Stout
    - 027 // Haymarket Pub & Brewery // Indignant
    and
    - 158 // Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. // Grain Bill Barleywine
    - 308 // Penrose Brewing Company // Cellar Reserve : Boysenberry (Bronze)
    - 104 // Odd Side Ales // Toasted Marshmallow and Coconut Hazel’s Nuts :rolling_eyes:
    - 088 // Ike & Oak Brewing Co // Kodiak’s Revenge - Peanut Butter Fudge
    - 253 // Cellar West Artisan Ales // BA Checkerback Saison
    - 330 // Tin City Cider // Earl Simmons (Silver)

Other than the couple of grocery store beers there's a nice mix of styles in here that I am excited to try. The great thing about FOBAB is finding excellent beers that I have never heard of by breweries that I don't know

7. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

“Grocery store beers”

I’ve never seen or had Barrel aged Narwhal in my life! The pain is real

BeerPrince22 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  8. core42

core42 May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Dm me your address & I'll send it to you

9. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

My shot has been fired

core42 and gudbrande like this.
  10. beardown2489

Some of the best beers in the world are grocery store beers. Drink em blind. See what ya think.

11. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Thanks for hosting a couple of Minnesotans who decided at 1:36 PM on Friday to buy plane tickets, FOBAB tickets, & a hotel room & scoot down to Chicago for a weekend. And I have to say that Chicagoans are much, much, much nicer people that I remember. Perhaps that's because I wasn't at a White Sox game in my Twins gear...

Highlights for us
    * Hailstorm Vlad v Zombie v Shark is insanely good. Had this at the Great Taste (possibly a variant) a few years back & it stole the show. Came close here, too.
    * FW Double Barrel Parabola was wonderful. A noted improvement on an old classic.
    * Verboten Double Oaked Cognac Grow Old With You was the best non-stout of the afternoon. My first beer from this brewery & it impressed.
    * Will County Brewing Caramel Apple Tripel - Apple Brandy was fantastic. Wish I'd had it two hours sooner on a cleaner palate but this was a winner.
    * Phase 3 Eunoia B2. The rare beer that towers up to the hype. Along with Vlad a top 2 contender.
    * Modern Times Peak Luxuty. Went back for three pours.

Unhighlights for us
    * Prairie Double Vanilla Noir. Easily the worst Prairie stout I've ever had. Poured out.
    * BCS Prop 20. Our first pour. Fine, but remarkably unremarkable.
    * BCS 2021. Whether this is an off year or it was the quality of the competition, this tasted rudely roasty with little barrel. Nothing like any BCS I've ever had. Both my wife & I dumped ours. I'll only buy one bottle this year to test before investing any more & hoping this wasn't a true representation of what's coming.

Overall a fantastic festival. We've already discussed going again in 2022 if possible. Cheers to some great breweries!

pudgym29, bradner, GrumpyGas and 5 others like this.
  12. ChangSing

ChangSing May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I always find it interesting that the breweries that win medals are rarely the beers/breweries that people masturbate over. Critical success v Commercial success...
    Is it just me or rarely, if ever, do the breweries people masturbate over, win medals? Critical/technical success v Commercial success..

13. Jplachy

Jplachy Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Can you say "jerk off" like a normal person?

Sabtos, core42, sahd-1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I should hope they don't win. I would imagine semen to be an off flavor in beer.

core42 and GuyFawkes like this.
  15. kodt

kodt Mar 6, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I find it interesting that the breweries have an oral fixation over never seem to win medals. Like the breweries that get no shaft strokes win medals but the ones that people always digitally penetrate don't bring home the medals.

pudgym29, VodkaPong87, Sabtos and 3 others like this.
  16. Quilentro

Quilentro May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

This. This is what happens when we don’t have an appropriate Dark Lord thread.

Sabtos, core42, ericfoster83 and 6 others like this.
  17. beardown2489

lol

18. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I don't envy the judges who have to rate a peanut butter, banana, coconut, raisin, cinnamon stout aged in rum and sherry barrels to style....

VodkaPong87, ChicagoJ, Sabtos and 4 others like this.
  19. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

The official style is "Not What God or Nature Intended".

Sometimes it's shortened to "Abomination".

JJH1018 and HouseofWortship like this.
  20. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

According to my Untappd, I had 44 beers at FOBAB, yet stayed sober enough to not get kicked out of Lou Malnati's afterwards.

My tops were:

Somniphobia
    DB Parabola
    MoRE Roaming Elephant
    VSOJ (duh)
    Wolf's Ridge VIII - 100%
    both of Afterthought's saisons
    Lost Abbey/Hill A Small Still Voice

I didn't understand some of the award winners, but, DB Parabola earned it IMO. Way better than any other Parabola I've had, while knocking out a lot of other hyped garbage at the fest, for me.

I was also surprised to get to try some old school whale's like Clare's and Yellow Bus without even the slightest line, literally just stumbling upon them. Every time I went down an aisle I thought I had already read through, I saw something else I needed to try. It seemed impossible to try everything I wanted to, but I certainly tried my best.

My biggest waste of time was standing in the Goose line. The only reason we did was because when we walked up and Toasted was out, we just got a pour of Cola, so we intended to sip on that for the next hour's line. We thought it'd be quick, but it wasn't, because apparently everyone had caught on to what they were tapping, while we dawdled outside in the fresh air for a bit. I should have just let it be, because the 14s were fine, but the original was way past it's prime, and they were totally incomparable. Plus there was a lot of immature line drama. On the up side, I think the wait helped keep me sober for that third hour.

I was also shocked at just how jam packed it was. They said this was their biggest venue ever, but we sure made it feel small. Sure, there were plenty of empty seats if you wanted to take a load off, but the trafficked areas were just as packed as could be. My session was Saturday 1-5.

#300 Sabtos, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  21. Jplachy

Jplachy Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

The floor was packed on Friday from 6-8:30 and then "poof!" it was empty. The final 90 minutes could have been a total shit show if I hadn't run into people I knew and instead just went up and down every table and tried everything which I 100% could have done. Only the hypest of the hype stuff was kicked at that point and there was no line for anything anywhere.

SWChi, FBarber, Sabtos and 1 other person like this.
  22. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Yeah I didn't really wait in line for anything except Goose, even when it was busiest (Saturday was my session), except maybe Eunoia, but they were pouring from multiple pitchers and having everyone come up in wild chaos pouring little sliver pours, so it wasn't really a wait.

FBarber and Beer_Economicus like this.
  23. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I’m not saying I don’t believe you, but the onus IS on you to tell us how you accomplished this feat while plugging them into Untappd and actually attempting to get some enjoyment from each? Did you do multiple sessions?

24. randjuke

randjuke Feb 13, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I thought all of the older GI beers I tried were oxidized to some extent.

Sabtos likes this.
  25. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I know back in the day it was frowned upon to review a beer before consuming its entire 6 pack over the course of at least a week, but these are the days of spent, jiggly marshmallows.

Honestly, it's not that hard. Actually, using Untappd often helped me find whatever the fuck the beer was (because not all the signs were A. Descriptive B. Accurate), which in turn helped me take the time to enjoy the beer further instead of simply sprinting from pitcher to pitcher trying to tick as much as possible. I feel like the people who do that end up drinking more than they think they do, and way more than me. I was there for the full 4 hours, after all, and it's not like they gave me a pint of each beer. Half the time I had to circle back to get a decent taste because, like Eunoia, some breweries barely poured you enough to feel it go down your throat. Plus, some were totally dumpworthy, with Off Color's BA Beer for Bowling taking the top spot for that category, for me.

26. ajcuster89

ajcuster89 Apr 14, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

I have no clue how that Sun King Soul Shakedown won a silver medal, it was VILE.

Sabtos likes this.
  27. beardown2489

Remember that they crammed everyone into 2 sessions this year instead of spreading it into 3. That could be fixed in the future

Beer_Economicus and Sabtos like this.
  28. beardown2489

It’s won a medal both times it’s entered. Who knows

29. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I mean, it was fine, just surprising for the times, and the space, and the fact that in-person tickets didn't sell out. After the past two years, an absolute mindfuck, but a fun one.

30. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Anyone know which beer Other Half actually brought to the fest, in regards to Deep Orbit?

The sign said just "BA Deep Orbit." That's it.

The description on the list @Jplachy posted lists "Barrel-Aged stout conditioned on Hazelnut, Vanilla wafers, and coffee". I never found any Deep Orbit variant with those flavorings, although it does sound close but not exact to a Bubble Wrap variant.

It definitely tasted like there was a lot of sweet flavorings added to it, and a lot of people checked in to Vega, and maybe some others, as it's clear I wasn't the only one who was confused.

REVZEB and FBarber like this.
  31. macewank

macewank Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

I'd be surprised if this event went back to 3 sessions. The attendance for the Saturday evening session was way down pre-COVID, and the Friday session hadn't sold out in a few years either.

The venue was definitely bigger but the way they had everything laid out, it didn't really feel that much bigger because the sours and stouts were all in the same spot as opposed to different rooms @ the Forum. If this venue sticks, the Brewer/VIP lounge probably needs to move off the main floor next year so they can move the stage back and open some more floor space down there.

randjuke, maximum12 and Sabtos like this.
  32. pudgym29

pudgym29 Mar 14, 2009 Illinois

I may have 1GB internet here at the abode, but I still do not have a mobile telephone, and thus, since there was no other way to determine which beers I actually had, I'll merely scribe I spent most of my time in the Stout/Porter and Strong Stout/Porter sections.
    I went Friday night. I deliberately timed my arrival to get there just after 6:00 pm. It took eighteen minutes to get inside. I did not have my satchel. There was no attempt therefore to connect to the Internet. But I did bring my Panasonic DMC-LX3 camera.
    I had Randy Mosher take a picture of me in my {former} seat at the U.I.C. Pavilion. (Before there was indoor soccer, several of the people who went on to spectating indoor soccer games were spectators in Section 104 for U.I.C. mens ice hockey.) But he has not yet sent me the photo.
    ["More sports! Les Grobstein!"]
    As for what was outside, I was stunned to glimpse former Chicago Transit Authority rapid transit car 2347, whose last runs served the Racine | Congress "L" station, having been remodelled into a mobile beer serving unit. Think similar to Deschutes' 'Woody Wagon' .
    I did not queue to have the beers, but I took those photographs. Click on the thumbnail (if it appears - I perplex as to why it would not) to glimpse the full sized image in another tab. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have no idea where else this vehicle will appear. :wink:

33. Raj

Raj Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Never change @pudgym29 . Your posts are easily the best thing about the Midwest forum. I hope Randy Mosher gets his shit together and sends you that photo.

34. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

So OH finally got back to me and said this was a special beer just for FOBAB they have never released, and did not provide more of a description or a different name, so I'll just add a new entry here as BA Deep Orbit - FOBAB 2021 Edition

SWChi, Beer_Economicus and REVZEB like this.
  35. Jaycase

Jaycase Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looks like someone already created an entry under https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33510/577438. Why not just use that one as it's the name of the beer? Can put in the comments that it was brewed for FOBAB 2021.

Sabtos likes this.
  36. FBarber

FBarber Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Submit a change request and I can take care of it.

Sabtos, Beer_Economicus and Jaycase like this.
  37. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Ah ha, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.