Folksbier - Now Open in Carroll Gardens

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by SeanEDPBK, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (108) Jun 8, 2016 New York

This may be old news to many readers of the Mid-Atlantic forum but I hadn't heard about this brewery, and now that their tap room is opening, it seems like a good time to lift their profile for anyone looking to try some locally brewed German-style beers.

2. FonyBones

FonyBones Aspirant (221) Dec 19, 2015 New York
    Society

Awesome!!! Thanks for the tip, was news to me. I've really liked the beers I've had by them but don't come across them on tap nearly enough.

Conveniently within stumbling distance of Other Half...I know how I'll be staying warm this weekend.

3. nychas

nychas Initiate (157) Mar 4, 2006 New York

Thanks! By my count this will make 23 active breweries with onsite consumption available in NYC! I recently completed my "World Tour of NYC Breweries" with Paulaner and La Birreria. I will add Folksbier ASAP.

4. nychas

I noticed Monday hours on the door in the photo, great idea as hardly any are open on Mondays.

ONovoMexicano and guinness77 like this.
  5. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,159) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Germans don't take days off.

rozzom, ONovoMexicano and SeanEDPBK like this.
  6. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (135) Apr 3, 2015 New York

(Except Tuesday and Wednesday)

dar482 and xmattxyzx like this.
  7. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (406) Apr 19, 2013 New York

The rich get richer. Good news. Tried their Echo Maker and it was very good. Can't wait to visit the tap room. Their stuff has been hard to find.

SeanEDPBK likes this.
  8. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (307) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Their Berliner is on at Threes if you're in the neighborhood

2Xmd likes this.
  9. FonyBones

Society

Stopped by last night. Very inviting space. 5 of their beers on tap. Most available in 2, 10, or 14 oz pours. Didn't appear to be doing growler fills but I didn't ask. Definitely worth a visit if you're nearby. The santiam pils and glow up were excellent.

DrStiffington and ONovoMexicano like this.
  10. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (249) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Two ounce pours used to be known as "free samples".

11. Xeal

Xeal Initiate (178) Mar 5, 2016 New York
    Trader

But now I don't have to feel awkward about asking to sample all their beers and then walking out without having to order a full pour in the off chance I don't happen to like any of them enough.

12. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (8,498) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Trader

I went on Friday, ready to love it - finally, a German style brewery in New York instead of another IPA factory!

...they're new. I hope to see their beers develop as they get more accustomed to their equipment. At least their taproom is more spacious than Other Half's.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  13. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Did you move to NYC?

14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

My basement is more spacious than Other Half.

15. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (8,498) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Trader

I don't have a basement, and I think it might be bigger than Other Half.

16. gory4d

gory4d Defender (657) Apr 14, 2007 Texas

Anyone know if they do growler fills? Not seeing anything about it on their site or in their social media. Thanks!

Gnargusto likes this.
  17. dangelop

dangelop Aspirant (236) Sep 16, 2006 New York

not sure they are up and running for growlers yet - pretty sure they said somewhere that they are working on getting a growler system in place but they would fill growlers from the taps for now if people were just planning to go right home and drink it?

first week was a jockey box, now they are up and running with a full tap system. its a work in progress but it seems like they are moving right along and the space is really wonderful. nice addition to the neighborhood and a totally different vibe than the rest of the spots nearby.

Jtbel1988 likes this.
  18. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Initiate (122) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Trader

Looking forward to two batches of Glow Up tomorrow.

ericdavidmorris likes this.
  19. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Finally checked this place out. Really liked it. Would be cool if there were more German beers available (maybe I went on an atypical day) but chill space and the helles was excellent

20. ericdavidmorris

ericdavidmorris Aspirant (261) Jun 2, 2014 New York

Been a few times since opening - always a lot of families/older crowd in there (considering where it's located, not really a surprise). Nice place to hang out and the beers are really good - every single batch of Glow Up is magnificent. They've had some cool food events too.

Talked to one of the bartenders and seems they're already expanding/upgrading their brewing system to a larger one so seems they're doing well!

Daveshek28 likes this.
  21. Esic1192

Esic1192 Initiate (0) May 29, 2017 New Jersey

Yeah, supposedly they're on a 3bbl system I think. The bartender said they were getting a 15bbl brewhouse which will definitely help with production. The helles simple was very good and the raspberry glow up was outstanding. Looking forward to watching these guys grow!

22. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Great addition to the neighborhood!

23. tynian16

tynian16 Disciple (335) Oct 23, 2015 New York
    Society

How long of a walk is it from here to Other Half?

24. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

tynian16 likes this.
  25. state08

state08 Initiate (79) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey

They should really consider opening at 11 on Saturdays to get that post-Other Half release crowd.

SeanEDPBK likes this.
  26. ONovoMexicano

Anyone been over here recently? My cousin moved to a place right between Other Half and Threes so I am infinitely grateful to her. I decided to follow Folksbier since I have found their stuff on tap in the neighborhood (including the Raspberry Glow Up at Hometown which is awesome and works well with the BBQ) and I have seen some delicious beers getting made. Anyone been out to the bottle releases? I saw a peach or apricot berliner that made me drool and I noticed today they posted more Raspberry Glow Up bottles. I need to check the place out I guess, but I am curious if they are catching on at all in NYC.

rozzom likes this.
  27. NewmansOwn

They are releasing the second batch of bottles tomorrow at 4.

FonyBones likes this.
  28. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (185) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Picked up the raspberry glowup bottles two weeks ago when I was there. FANTASTIC beer. All of their glow-ups are awesome.

FonyBones and ONovoMexicano like this.
  29. FonyBones

Society

Tap room is definitely worth a visit. Probably my favorite place to grab a beer in the neighborhood. Lots of seating. Pretty chill vibe with friendly service and good tunes. Only time I've ever seen it get close to uncomfortably busy is on Sunday afternoons. Really enjoy their beer. Try the Grand Army Stout if it's on when you visit. Haven't been to a bottle release yet but I plan on stopping by today after work. They'll fill growlers if you bring one in but the fills are priced a bit high in my opinion.

NewmansOwn, 2Xmd and ONovoMexicano like this.
  30. NewmansOwn

Finally made a visit to the taproom and its pretty sweet. Not crowded at all, relaxing vibe and I was able to grab a couple bottles. I hope they bottle more of the Glow Up series because both the Morello (beautiful color) and Watermelon version were fantastic.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  31. canchon

canchon Initiate (50) Jul 7, 2017 New York

Visited this afternoon, very chill. 5 beers on tap and 3 ciders. Raspberry Glow Up is fantastic - stop by and pick up some bottles if you can. Nice change of pace from "all DDH IPA" everything.

32. icfpny

I live a few blocks away, and would definitely go to Folksbier more often if the prices on certain beers weren't so silly (IPAs are $11 for a 14-oz pour).

33. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,102) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

That is pretty ludicrous pricing.

34. ONovoMexicano

I can't even believe that.

35. icfpny

(I'm pretty sure I didn't completely imagine that.)

36. nychas

You did not imagine that. They were good; they were $11.00 each.

37. ONovoMexicano

Haha. I didn't mean to insinuate you were making it up, only that is incredible that a brewery would have prices like that....for an IPA.

38. icfpny

Ha, I just questioned myself because it sounded so ridiculous when I read it again.

39. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (82) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Yeah I stopped by there for the first and last time a month ago when their mediocre pale ale cost $9 for 10 oz. Unbelievable pricing no matter what (at the source nonetheless) but especially when you have world class, cheaper ales just a couple blocks away.

jrnyc likes this.
  40. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Initiate (122) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Trader

I enjoyed going when they first opened and the prices were reasonable. Now the hike in prices and the unwelcoming bartender make it easy to forget about...