Belgium For sale at Cantillon

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jefverstraete, Feb 25, 2015.

1. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (134) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Good one! For anyone who wants a funky lambic/geuze, check out De Troch from Wambeek

Stevenwings likes this.
  2. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aspirant (247) Feb 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Aaaahhhh, that explains it. Who's the goose?!
    Haha, thx!

3. newbeeraday

newbeeraday Crusader (754) May 1, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

More so within the past year, things will be "sold out" then reappear a day or week or whenever for sale again. Lots of factors in this, one main reason is they dont usually label all their stash before selling a new seasonal. So they sell out, then they label some more etc. There is other reasons they "sell out" and then reappear but I wont get into that.
    So need not be sad, cross your fingers and you might get lucky with take-out beers. At any rate they have an amazing in-house list to try, there is always pleasant random people there to share the beers with, the tour is an interesting experience, and the staff good people that are lovers of Cantillon. Enjoy!!

bostonvert, Prospero and atomeyes like this.
  4. yalmik

yalmik Initiate (132) Nov 23, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Offcourse prices are much higher in de US... You also need to look @ transport, only getting the bottles there will cost you 20 dollar a bottle... And the guy that is importing these bottles also need to take some profit...

5. Spoda1983

Spoda1983 Aspirant (258) Oct 24, 2014 Sweden
    Beer Trader

Not to get off topic Yalmik but mass transportation of beer with an importer (Shelton Bros) that has a solid logistics supply chain setup from EU to US already means that the cost of transport, customs, duties, etc. will be far below $20 a bottle. Then you take small cuts for the distributors and beer stores (these ones add large profit %). The reason costs are so high in the US is not because of logistics... it's because of hype.

xxbassplayerxx, yalmik and moose1980 like this.
  6. moose1980

moose1980 Devotee (407) Jan 1, 2015 Germany
    Beer Trader

Except that rarity, and greed, even more so than hype.

xxbassplayerxx and yalmik like this.
  7. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the helpful post, indeed it was as awesome as expected, and they still had St.Lam and Vig for sale, so it must have just been that day.

8. Euroglot

Euroglot Devotee (407) Dec 16, 2015 Belgium
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Back at 3pp for St Lamvinus and Vigneronne. Also still had Bruoscella, Cuvee Saint Gilloise and Magnum (besides Geuze, Kriek and Rose). Geuze also had 3pp limit

Spoda1983 likes this.
  9. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (134) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium
    Beer Trader

St Lamvinus is sold out, it's not on the takeout menu anymore

10. Spoda1983

Spoda1983 Aspirant (258) Oct 24, 2014 Sweden
    Beer Trader

It will be back. I don't see them consciously selling out with the Public Brew Day coming up next weekend.

11. kitch

kitch Champion (879) Sep 24, 2014 Hong Kong
    Subscriber

I think it seems to be on and off right now. My gf went in this morning and it wasn't on the takeout menu, but she said that they were labeling some and managed to pickup 3 bottles.

12. davidtarnow

davidtarnow Initiate (156) Mar 19, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Anyone know prices for Vig, St Lam, or csg?

13. matthieudupont

matthieudupont Initiate (127) Oct 19, 2015 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Vig and St Lam : 12 euro
    CsG: 7,5 euro

davidtarnow likes this.
  14. yalmik

yalmik Initiate (132) Nov 23, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Anybody still know what the beers were on open brewery day to take away and taste?

Going this year and really really excited:slight_smile:

15. KoenG

KoenG Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2016

Yesterday Magnum Geuze (1pp), St.Lam (3pp), Vig (3pp) and CSG (3-pp) available. (besides the regulars)

Just read on Facebook that apparently st. Lam is off the board right now.

Drank a St. Lam Grand Cru on site and it was delicious.

16. Runofthedill

Runofthedill Initiate (139) Oct 28, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

well I made my pilgrimage last week. Probably not going back again in my lifetime but this thread was pretty helpful. Thanks guys.

17. greggor

greggor Initiate (114) Nov 25, 2008 Utah

Hey if anyone will be there this Saturday 3/18/17 & would like to meet up to share some bottles! can only try so many by myself. I will be wearing Michigan State green to be easy to spot me.

18. Heathcliff_Hasbro

Heathcliff_Hasbro Initiate (27) Apr 29, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'll be there this Saturday with a group of 4. We'll likely be wearing some Wisconsin Badger red so feel free to say hi to us!

Koen1987 and moose1980 like this.
  19. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Meyvn (1,430) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Did you lose a bet?

moose1980 likes this.
  20. moose1980

Beer Trader

I had MSU winning it all in my bracket last year...

I will be wearing a Cubs hat and Illinois State t-shirt to round out the Midwestern theme. I didn't attend a Big Ten(?) school, so gotta support the NIT this year! I can't believe I just said that...

4lokogod and Redrover like this.
  21. riko

riko Aspirant (207) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

I'll be there in early May. I won't be wearing any American sports gear and certainly won't be looking to drink any non-Cantillon bottles. If anyone wants to buy Cantillon bottles to share on-site and trade stories about Belgium (from you) and San Diego (from me), I'm game.

mathieu87 and mjytown08 like this.
  22. MKENEWB

MKENEWB Initiate (133) Mar 16, 2016 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Thanks for keeping to-go bottle list updated!

newbeeraday likes this.
  23. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (3,380) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks for this thread. I will be back in Belgium the end of next week and the week after. I think I will try to visit Cantillon on either March 24 or March 25. Good times as always.

F2brewers likes this.
  24. lord_dylan

lord_dylan Initiate (114) Dec 4, 2013 California

Hey Jimbo, there are already a bunch of us meeting at Cantillon on Saturday the 25th. You should come drink with us.

nvbrew likes this.
  25. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (3,380) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Excellent. Let me know what time you will be there. Beermail or post. I will be staying in Antwerp, so will get to Brussels Midi by train and walk over.

26. Koen1987

Koen1987 Initiate (126) Jul 4, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Up for a bottle share as well! I'll be there with some friends coming over (you'll see, some Asians :wink: ), probably wearing my KUL uni sweater. Cheers !

moose1980 likes this.
  27. joaoM

joaoM Initiate (129) Oct 5, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

I am going tomorrow for the open day! Great beer list :slight_smile: Hope to share some bottles!

moose1980 likes this.
  28. skeevn

skeevn Initiate (124) Sep 25, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Don't forget our Public Brew tomorow.
    Doors open at 6:30am.
    In addition to our classic beers available for tasting, Lou Pepe Kriek 2007, Menu Pineau 2009, 50°N-4°E 2012, LH12 brewed in 2005-bottled 2010 and La Vie est Belge 2016 will be available..

PerHops, F2brewers and moose1980 like this.
  29. moose1980

Beer Trader

A little over 400€ each. Same buyer.

30. Albin

Albin Initiate (152) Aug 18, 2013 Sweden
    Beer Trader

Wow! I had my bet on around 200 each. Would never imagine 400!!!

31. moose1980

Beer Trader

I wasn't too surprised. It was nice to try the MP for 30€ on-site ;-)

32. SwigSocial

SwigSocial Initiate (125) Jan 8, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Any other "special or seasonal" bottles added to the to go list today for public brew day? (Besides auction bottles)

33. Albin

Beer Trader

Vigneronne, St Lamvinus, CSG, Iris, gueze magnum. And the regulars.

newbeeraday, SwigSocial and jermy like this.
  34. mrtomatohead49

mrtomatohead49 Aspirant (243) Apr 9, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Family member of mine is heading to Cantillon on the 24th. Anyone here used a shipper from Lazenne before to bring back to US? I have a 12 shipper being sent to him and was wondering whether their boxes needed to be taped shut or provided some manner of sealing? Also whether the "large" sized box will be compact enough around the 750ml bottles or whether bubble wrap might be needed?

35. Albin

Beer Trader

Check this thread: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/info-for-shipping-packing-boxes-bottles-to.460111/

I think all you need to know about it is in there :slight_smile:

moose1980 and Spoda1983 like this.
  36. SwigSocial

SwigSocial Initiate (125) Jan 8, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Looks like they changed what is available for take away on the website today. Any updates from anyone enjoying some fine beers onsite today?

37. Koningshoeven

Koningshoeven Initiate (30) Feb 2, 2016 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

They tend to treat Belgians/Dutchmen like crap.

38. lord_dylan

lord_dylan Initiate (114) Dec 4, 2013 California

We will probably be there most of the day Saturday. Come join us.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  39. dmsulli

dmsulli Initiate (151) Jan 30, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I was told today that Lam and Vig are sold out for take home for the season. :slight_frown:

yalmik likes this.
  40. Axic10

Axic10 Zealot (592) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I don't know if this has been answered in the 37 pages or not. I'm going to be in Brussels in early May and Cantillon is a definite stop for my wife and I. Do they accept credit card? I apologize if this has been asked/answered before.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.