For sale at Cantillon

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by jefverstraete, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riko

riko Initiate (119) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

On a semi-related note, anyone know when Cantillon last updated the booklets you get for the self-guided tour? I got one a couple weeks ago that was the same as the one I got four years ago, and it seemed a little dated back then. The broad strokes are still right, of course, but there are details, such as it saying that only schaerbeek cherries are used in the kriek, that I don't think are accurate anymore.

CaptainPiret likes this.
  2. FinnishFox

FinnishFox Initiate (109) Sep 28, 2016 California
    Trader

I am going to test out your pairing suggestion while i am there.

ArrogantB likes this.
  3. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

So I got a box of six beers yesterday. And they pack it quite well. Should I unbox and bubble wrap or should they be fine in my checked bag. Which is a small suitcase inside a larger one. So there is that for protection. Plus I've packed said small suitcase tight with other bubble wrapped singles and clothes.

4. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,999) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

I have three bottles in one of their cardboard carriers, I'll wrap it in clothes and have no worries since it already made it safely from Brussels to Dublin and back again. Also, I have soft sided luggage so you'll be fine.

Crim122 likes this.
  5. ColForbin555

ColForbin555 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2016 Indiana

Update on to go bottles/limits?

6. Albin

Albin Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2013 Sweden

7. ArrogantB

Society Trader

Yesterday it was gueuze, Kriek, rose, and st gilloise. I didn't even see any limits.

8. ColForbin555

ColForbin555 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2016 Indiana

Today was gueuze x6, kriek x3, rose x3, and st gilloise x3.

9. SAJ96

SAJ96 Initiate (0) May 13, 2017 England

Hi guys, just wondering what's the best time of year to go? I've heard summer is poor for specials and I think going when its just gauze, kriek, RDG, Iris TTO would be pretty disappointing

10. Koen1987

Koen1987 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2016 Belgium

Mid / End of September, as there would be possibly FF and LP (sometimes Mamouche, depends)

11. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium

Thanks for clearing this up for me, been waiting on something interesting for a while, haven't been to the brewery since end of march.

12. Spoda1983

Spoda1983 Aspirant (265) Oct 24, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

End of Sept - end of October for FF, LPK (if for sale to go that year), LPF, maybe Mamouche
    End of Feb - beginning of April for St. Lam, Vig, LPG (this is more based on pure readiness of the lambic in the barrels)

In the summer they do not really offer specials to go but they usually make up for it with an astounding on-site bottle list. It's crazy to me to hear someone say " I think going when its just gueuze, kriek, RDG, Iris TTO would be pretty disappointing". This is not a directed jab at you (so please do not take offense) but just towards anyone who feels this way in general... it comes off sounding pretentious. Like the person only cares about whales. You are at Cantillon, regardless of what they have, it is an experience in and of itself just to be there.

I can easily say that some of my favorites are aged Iris, 2007 Geuze, fresh kriek, and especially GCB (at least 3 years of age) on a hot summer day.

Disclaimer: Above timelines are fairly accurate but not guaranteed.

tshanahan, Nate, Rocket80 and 8 others like this.
  13. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (427) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Agreed about not jabbing, and I understand the disappointment if you have ready access to the standards at home. Still, be happy if you come in summer because 1. the "usuals" are their best, in my view, and at their most refreshing in summer. I love the specials but they're best when they remain specials. And 2. there's lots more gueuze to discover in addition to the irreplaceable Cantillon.

bostonvert, F2brewers and Spoda1983 like this.
  14. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

you have a catch 22.
    Belgium's a very enjoyable country during the summer. so it's nice to visit and drink then. but i always feel a bit guilty if it's nice outside and i spend hours in Cantillon.
    but they don't brew until October(ish) til April(ish), and i think that part of the charm is being there during a brewday. except Jean's usually running around. then again, he travels during the summer, so there's a decent chance he won't be at the brewery.
    if i had my druthers and there were no other factors? i'd be at the brewery oct-dec. Good beer, brew days, Brussels is colder out so stopping off for beer at Cantillon just feels right, nice take-home bottle selection.

that being said...i'm there in one month. whoops.

moose1980 likes this.
  15. L3MI

L3MI Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Illinois

Will anyone be at the brewery June 20th? I will be more than happy to share bottles.

16. ArrogantB

Society Trader

Have you seen the on-site bottle list lately? It was nowhere near disappointing.

17. HaciendaNapoles

HaciendaNapoles Initiate (25) Sep 11, 2015 Reunion
    Trader

Yeah, I hate when my only choice is to drink gauze.

riko likes this.
  18. thewoodenshoe

thewoodenshoe Initiate (69) Dec 10, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Isn't this the "for sale" topic, and not the "onsite is also great" topic? I believe he went to the right place to ask different beer than gauze

SAJ96 and Marco_Gtz like this.
  19. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,847) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

But isn't beer sold for onsite consumption also "For Sale"?

tacosandbeer and moose1980 like this.
  20. SAJ96

SAJ96 Initiate (0) May 13, 2017 England

Yeah tbh guys, I'm a little disappointed at myself for saying that would be disappointing (gauze, RDG, Iris) but that's from a perspective that I can get that so easily. The specials are so fantastic and difficult to get a hold of I'd love to try them! E.g. Fou and LPK and LPG

21. Alphus

Alphus Initiate (14) May 3, 2017 France
    Trader

Cantillon Nath 2017 announced on facebook, using rhubarb, no release date yet. I hope it will be available soon because I'll be at Cantillon the 1st July.

F2brewers likes this.
  22. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium

Just wanted to post the same! Very excited to try it, anyone know if this will be extremely limited or not? I don't feel like racing to Anderlecht only to find out that its sold out after X days..

23. moose1980

moose1980 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2015 Germany

I believe they mentioned that they are hoping for an October release.

24. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,976) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Can't wait for this one!

25. Alphus

Alphus Initiate (14) May 3, 2017 France
    Trader

Yes, they announced an october release in a new post. I'll have to come back then.

bostonvert likes this.
  26. Dactrius

Dactrius Poo-Bah (1,745) Apr 23, 2012 Netherlands Antilles
    Society Trader

Can confirm that they were processing some rhubarb on Friday :wink:

[​IMG]

27. alexmeyran

alexmeyran Initiate (67) Feb 14, 2013 New York

Any word on Iris? I will be visiting June 24th and remember Iris usually being available around this time.

28. HaciendaNapoles

Trader

Was there on Friday. Rose, Kriek, Gueuze and StG were available to go as well as a nice selection of on-site beers. Also got to try the new rhubarb lambic from the tanks as well as a Zwanze 2008 with it. Beautiful stuff.

KevinNBF and moose1980 like this.
  29. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,834) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society Trader

Iris does not seem to come out on a semi-regular schedule like some of the other beers (FF, LPF, etc). You'll just have to watch the Cantillon webpage and this forum.

30. KevinNBF

KevinNBF Initiate (45) Feb 18, 2016 Netherlands

Iris was available in April/May

31. beerb0y_UK

beerb0y_UK Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2017 England

I'm going to be at Cantillon on Friday July 7th. Anyone else going to be around Brussels at that time to share some bottles?
    I'm also going to the 3F lambik-O-droom the day before.

32. Brewski

Brewski Devotee (436) Jul 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Anybody been to Cantillon lately? Looking for what is available for on-site consumption.

33. atomeyes

for those that have been there in the past few months:
    any news (or nose?) of the Lou Pepe Frambois coming out?
    you can usually smell it when they're packaging it. the raspberry's pretty obvious. It's usually a September release, so it should be bottled by now.

also, looks like FouFoune's being made this week. so, bottle in 2 months and then sold in the fall

#1713 atomeyes, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  34. AussieAdam

AussieAdam Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Australia

Hi BeerB0y,
    I will beer at Cantillon on Friday and happy to share some bottles. I can only get there at 12ish unfortunately if that suits you.
    Cheers,
    Adam

beerb0y_UK likes this.
  35. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Will be visiting Brussels for the first time at the beginning of September. I can't wait to visit Cantillon and try whatever they have at the time. Hoping they might be pouring Nath? Maybe LPF? Who am I kidding, I would be 100% happy with Gueuze!

PerHops and ManforallSaisons like this.
  36. HaciendaNapoles

Trader

Not sure when it is coming out but it has been bottled and it tastes great! Had it few couple weeks ago at the brewery, but it was unlabeled.

atomeyes likes this.
  37. atomeyes

it's usually a late august/early sept release, so, barring "sickness", that's when it should be good to go.
    thanks!

38. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

39. MKENEWB

MKENEWB Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2016 Wisconsin

RdG, Gueze, Kriek, and Iris to go a few days ago.

Carignan, LPK '14 sticker, St Lam Reserve and others for onsite.

Carignan was insanely nice on the nose and taste.

Beersnake1 and hjaul7 like this.
  40. Epitha

Epitha Initiate (31) Dec 4, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Add 50 degrees to the onsite list as well. Delicious.

Beersnake1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.