Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Belgium For sale at Cantillon

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jefverstraete, Feb 25, 2015.

1. soma27

soma27 Initiate (155) Dec 18, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I don't think you fit the mule profile at all. Nothing wrong with adding on a quick detour to visit Cantilon (I just did it myself last month) to bring some back - unless you plan on selling them. Although good luck finding any of the seasonal releases obviously, outside of being lucky to grab a magnum, my bag was full of the normal beers for my flight home.

Regardless of whats available to go, getting to have a bottle of LPK, LPF and a 2006 Gueze (was fantstic, def grab if still available on-site) was 100% worth my 1 day detour.

On-topic - to cut down the re-selling/mulling I think a combination of a forced three-pack (w/ two regular beers) and a limit of 1 special bottle per person (create a database) would at least spread it out. Also slightly lowers the profit margin for re-sellers, which is no where near as high for the 2 regulars.
    Either that or do a one-time on-line lottery for all sales + save more bottles for on-site consumption only.

Redrover and Rlgrigorian like this.
  2. Spoda1983

Spoda1983 Aspirant (283) Oct 24, 2014 Sweden
    Beer Trader

Everyone,

No disrespect but please keep this thread about to-go availability at Cantillon. If you want to discuss solutions for Cantillon to minimize the impact of mules on seasonal bottle sales please start a new thread.

phnx26, mythaeus, F2brewers and 3 others like this.
  3. Maracuja05

Maracuja05 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2016 Germany

Any updates as of today? For to go and on board? Thinking over driving there tomorrow.

4. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Aspirant (273) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

RDG.

VABA likes this.
  5. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Disciple (363) May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I had a glass of the new RDG batch at the brewery a couple of weeks ago. Juicy!

tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. Stoin

Stoin Initiate (105) Oct 1, 2017 Belgium

Any ideas about what will be available to buy during the public brew day?

7. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,287) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

That's total guesswork, but I'd expect an excellent in-house list and not-so-much on the to-go list at this juncture. However, I'll throw in another guess that there is a reasonable supply of FF and some other seasonals they pulled after getting pissed off at the recent mule/overcrowding situation. You never know when that stuff will come back out for sale (if my guess is correct), and the public brew day is certainly a possibility.
    ...and...I just saw that you are from Belgium so, in fact, we should be asking you for intel instead of vice versa.

CaptainPiret likes this.
  8. Askchucky

Askchucky Initiate (195) May 2, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if whats for sale and limits?

9. Koen1987

Koen1987 Initiate (143) Jul 4, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Today: Geuze, max 12 small, max 3 large
    Kriek, small, 1 bottle
    RdG: large, 1 bottle

10. Stanger

Stanger Initiate (111) Mar 24, 2017 Belgium

No specials for the open brew day? That must be the first time. :slight_frown:

11. YvesB

YvesB Defender (615) Oct 20, 2015 Belgium
    Beer Trader

they sold FF and Nath 1pp randomly [to foreigners / persons who begged] but they weren't on the board.

Special onsite bottles where La vie est belge, aspérule odorante and carignan 17 (draft).

12. DavidW

DavidW Initiate (20) Aug 6, 2015 Belgium

By the end of the day fou was on the board 1/pp

On site: lpk 2014, lpf 2014, fou, nath, geuze 2006, regulars, Mamouche... And the special ones you said. No Iris!

13. atomeyes

atomeyes Disciple (383) Jul 13, 2011 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

interesting...
    this time last year, i was in belgium. i dropped into cantillon on the saturday morning just to say hello and show my friend (a Cantillon virgin). saw that it was the open brewday, had a quick cheers tipple and then got the fuck out of there.
    but i remember the in-house bottle list looked amazing. i remember seeing the gewurtz lambic on the board among other wine variants.

14. PrideoftheSouth

PrideoftheSouth Initiate (121) Jan 20, 2017 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Online sa... and it’s gone.

15. c64person

c64person Devotee (431) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yeah what a show that was LOL *cries because I didn't get any*

PrideoftheSouth likes this.
  16. newbrews

newbrews Aspirant (244) Jul 24, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Got all the way to PayPal and lost my set because it timed out. Bummer.

17. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,576) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's still available if you're persistent. Just had a buddy get through about 5 minutes ago

fondyball20 likes this.
  18. fondyball20

fondyball20 Aspirant (281) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Yup... still open. Just need to stay at it for awhile. It's the same crashes and errors for everyone else too

19. thewoodenshoe

thewoodenshoe Initiate (63) Dec 10, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Worst beer release in history

20. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

andddddddddddddddd officially out of stock. Took them 2 hours to sell 450 sets because of server issues though

21. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

Duck Duck Gooze 2016.... way worse

riko, fondyball20 and c64person like this.
  22. thewoodenshoe

thewoodenshoe Initiate (63) Dec 10, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I don’t know Dicers. If you combine the on site sale (effectively, all the bottles ended up with, at most, 20 different groups of people) with this online sale.. but to be compared to the ddg is quite an accomplishment. Hopefully Westbrook takes the lead back with their ba cake sale soon

23. Yating

Yating Initiate (135) Nov 23, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

What was the price of the set?

24. ElManana

ElManana Initiate (151) Sep 18, 2014 Belgium
    Beer Trader

67 euro for the three if I recall correct.

25. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

Close. 64, to be precise.

26. bostonvert

bostonvert Initiate (134) Feb 24, 2017 Belgium
    Beer Trader

I saw on FB that they didn't even have a ship to Belgium option....

27. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

Yup, saw that too. Don't know why though. And I was wondering if I had been able to order another pack on web (after I bought a pack on site a few weeks ago), if my order would be delivered (same name and bankaccount no. as registered). Questioning that turned out quite hypothetical though, since the webshop failed completely during my attempts.

28. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (133) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

I got through and it came to $127 (USD) shipped to the states.

Yating likes this.
  29. Yating

Yating Initiate (135) Nov 23, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the info.
    Wondering if they will sell "specials" again this year....
    They sell you a Nath or a Fou'Foune if you really insist and if you are a foreigner... What a b*llsh*t is this?
    Or you sell them or you don't... They are going to be the judges who is cantillon worthy... I live in Belgium so I have no chance of scoring a bottle then.

Koen1987 likes this.
  30. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (115) May 18, 2017 England

FWIW they had Nath and Fou'Foune (and GCB) on general sale on Friday, so possibly they're going for a bit more of a slow-and-steady approach but took them off the board for the open brew day to avoid any aggro.

My partner dropped in for a drink before her train without much hope of picking up specials, and was pleasantly surprised. Although she also confused them by just buying one of each rather than maxing out her allocation!

moose1980 and PrideoftheSouth like this.
  31. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

That's not the case, and you know that. You live in Belgium, so in theory you have better chances of scoring a bottle (by buying on site). Driving from (nearly) any part of Belgium to Brussels is easier for you than for other people (not living in Belgium). In basic, I still agree with you that people from just across the border in Holland (like me) or France should be excluded in that way as well.
    Cantillon seems to give any fan a fair shot to buy some bottles. And in general, I appreciate that.

32. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

That's nice! Did they register her name and bank account number?

33. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Devotee (474) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

I tried to figured out, what the prices are on a Nath 2017 on the Cantillon site, but i couldn't find it.

34. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

About 15 euro.

Dutchcraftbeergeek likes this.
  35. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Devotee (474) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Nice, i will pick up a few i think.

36. alexdepalex

alexdepalex Initiate (115) Jan 11, 2017 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

Yes. But when are you going to pick those up? With the current policy of "we can start and stop selling whenever we feel like even multiple times during the day, or not to you but only to the guy after you" you might treat yourself to a 4 hour Antwerp and Brussels traffic jam, without being able to pick up some bottles. That also goes for Belgian people.

With all that hassle it sometimes even makes sense, from a time and money perspective, to buy secondary. Which is causing this crappy situation in the first place.

Sad.

bostonvert likes this.
  37. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

Alex, I agree with you in your statement that that should be sad. But is that the new policy? Policy is something that lasts over a long period. What happened last week does not have to be their policy over the middle/long term.

38. alexdepalex

alexdepalex Initiate (115) Jan 11, 2017 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

It's not the official policy. I even don't know if they have one. But this is what I see happening. On Friday, they were selling the specials again. Also during open brewing day in the morning. I was there at 7.30 and although they were selling, I didn't immediately bought any bottles, since I was enjoying a nice lpf'14 next to the stove :slight_smile: By the time I was in line, about 3 people in front of me, they suddenly stopped selling specials. Don't know why. When asking for a magnum or FF, they didn't say they were out of it, they just said 'no'. Even though there were crates with FF stacked next to the counter.

39. PrideoftheSouth

Beer Trader

That sucks bigtime.

Selling them randomly, in a slow 'n steady way is fine with me. It's a big disadvantage for me, because I'm not going to head through the traffic to Brussels being uncertain about what bottles I can take with me (apart from the times I'm planning to drink something there, with friends)...but at least, it's kinda fair. Cease selling on an unpredictable moment without any plausible reason while people in line waiting for that bottles; I can understand your anger for that.

moose1980 likes this.
  40. moose1980

moose1980 Devotee (425) Jan 1, 2015 Germany
    Beer Trader

I was waiting in line as well during the public brewing session when they decided to take the seasonals off of the board. It appeared to me that the reason for doing so was, at least in part, due to a group of people in front of me. The elder Van Roy was visibly not pleased, and it seemed to be directed in their direction. They seemed like a family of about eight people, including a few children who were around their teens. One does not know for sure, but they looked like the type to fit the bill of simply coming in to buy the special bottles, without having any knowledge of the beer (other than secondary value perhaps). Again, quite the speculation on my part, but there was clearly something said to them by the elder Van Roy as he left his post at the front door and went to the to-go sales counter, where the seasonals were immediately taken off. Although it was obviously disappointing for those like myself and others who simply love the beer (and have a 13-hour bus ride each way), it is also very understandable why Cantillon would do such things. It is a difficult problem with no easy solution.

FWIW, after leaving the brewery shortly there after, I went back later and the seasonals were once again available.

PrideoftheSouth likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.