For sale at Cantillon

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by jefverstraete, Feb 25, 2015.

1. CaptainPiret

CaptainPiret Initiate (168) Oct 5, 2009 Luxembourg
    Trader

They've been doing the credit card tracking for a while now. I bought Vig about 6-7 months apart ... or at least tried to. I was flagged for having bought one in March, and it being October, I couldn't buy another one.

2. mrpepino

mrpepino Initiate (73) Jan 12, 2011 New Jersey

For takeaway (11/26 @ 3:30p local time):

- Gueuze (37.5 cl & 75cl)
    - Brouscella (75cl)

3. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,759) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

So, the moral of the story is to apply for a bunch of credit cards before any Brussels trip?

CaptainPiret likes this.
  4. RollTide7

RollTide7 Aspirant (228) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey

Jeez, pretty crazy. I mean I get it for trying to cut down on muling and people taking advantage/ selling on the secondary but it definitely stinks for those of us who don't get there often and are just trying to stock on special bottles to save to breakout at the right time. I guess there's no perfect system though especially when demand far outpaces the supply that you can put out.

I just wish they told you that in advance though so you knew up front what their limit time frame was, since its so contrary relative to what you would expect (again most would assume per person and per day). Also would be interesting to know if the limit is per calendar year or like literally a year from whatever your last purchase of that beer was.

5. YvesB

YvesB Defender (666) Oct 20, 2015 Belgium
    Trader

it's actually per brewing season, so if you bought fou foune 2018 you'll have to wait for next years release, whenever that is.

6. nheinemans

nheinemans Initiate (21) Nov 4, 2017 Netherlands
    Trader

They don't just keep track of bank/credit cards, but also check the name on the card. So it doesn't help having different cards or bank accounts. At least, that's what I heard.

7. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (521) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

But how can they check the name on the card? Does that mean Jon Smith is doomed to never buy Cantillon?

Redrover likes this.
  8. Jesperrr

Jesperrr Initiate (43) Dec 3, 2016 Netherlands
    Trader

Its the name icw the card, and one per year, not pee season... as most bottles get/got released once a year its pretty much the same. Quite dodgy as they save your records without approval, which to my knowledge is illegal based on the new EU data protection law...

9. Jesperrr

Trader

Correct. Tried that, didnt work..

10. BeerGlassesCollector

BeerGlassesCollector Zealot (521) Nov 11, 2002 Cyprus
    Trader

Can you please explain to me exactly how this works (or doesn't work in this case)? Someone named George Michael walks in and buys his limits. Next week a different George Michael walks in with his card and it just so happens that the same guy from last week (George Michael who already bought his limits for the year) walks in with a different card and tries to buy as well. How can they track whos who if they don't have your birthday or some sort of ID in their records?!?!?

Am I missing something?

#2450 BeerGlassesCollector, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  11. nheinemans

Trader

We're talking about Cantillon, not a fortune 500 company...

Also, they have a good reason to store this information for a limited time (one year). This should be no problem for the GDPR. However, I agree they should be more informative about this.

12. Jesperrr

Trader

Doesnt matter if its Cantillon or a Fortune 500 Company. Same rules apply for everyone in the EU since the GDPR. For my company I need to sign an agreement with everybody in the EU to be allowed to adding them to my database. Nobody does it, but this is the official way to do it...

13. Jesperrr

Trader

nope. Sounds about right. Not sure what system they use but they have a way of combining the person with right account. I once tried paying with my bank card after using my credit card before. They didnt fall for it...

CaptainPiret likes this.
  14. TinTin777

TinTin777 Initiate (71) May 6, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Just take cash. I've bought with cash when in the brewery.

floozbag54 and Jesperrr like this.
  15. Jesperrr

Trader

Nice one. That's also whats wrong with this system: when you're American they make exceptions and let you pay cash, when youre Belgian/Dutch you MUST pay with card...

16. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I see why that would piss locals off but if the intention of the credit card payments is to track who bought what since their are limits on what you can buy an American on vacation is less likely to try to "double dip" than someone more local to the brewery. Not saying that it is fair but that is my guess behind the reasoning.

17. nheinemans

Trader

On the other hand, the "locals" can easily bring friends and family to double or triple dip. Either way, the system is not transparent, and only frustrates customers instead of solving the problem.

Jesperrr likes this.
  18. Jesperrr

Trader

True. Had a trade there ones with an American trader at Cantillon who end up leaving with four 50N, while one per person was the limit... Thats whats the most frustrating of this story: when you're American they dont give a f about the amount. If you talk nicely to Jean he will 'favor' you for more bottles. What Jean forgets is that the extra bottles end up for sale on the secondary as well as the values covers for (a big part) of the flights and expenses... But hey! no hate against Americans of course :-) Just saying that the limit rule is not transparant and unfair from Cantillon's pov. That said: who's there this Saturday? lol ;-P

BeerGlassesCollector and elohim like this.
  19. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I never claimed it was a good system, just trying to determine the justification of allowing people from the States to use cash while others can't. When you are a brewery producing highly sought after bottles produced in limited amounts there is going to be a way to game any system put in place and there is never going to be a way to keep everyone happy.

Yeah I agree that definitely should never happen. If you have a bottle limit it should apply to everyone regardless how far that person traveled.

20. Jesperrr

Trader

Can anyone update whats for sale at Cantillon recently?

21. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Aspirant (293) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

22. WormGod

WormGod Initiate (162) Jun 30, 2016 New York

Not the MOST recent, but on Monday afternoon it was Gueuze (750 and 375) and Rose (375). That was all.

Jesperrr likes this.
  23. Jesperrr

Trader

Ait! Thanks for the heads up. Appreciated :-)

24. desint

desint Meyvn (1,290) May 10, 2010 Belgium
    Premium

Today:

Gueuze 37.5cl / 75cl / 150cl

Rosé de Gambrinus 37.5cl / 75cl (5.30€ / 8€)

Jesperrr likes this.
  25. Garrold

Garrold Initiate (37) Nov 2, 2016 England
    Trader

Cash is accepted when purchasing drink in beers. Card only for take out.

26. nhindian

nhindian Champion (875) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

Will be heading to Cantillon around 1 if anyone wants to split bottles

27. SourTweek

SourTweek Initiate (120) Jun 24, 2014 Indiana

I’m heading that way now - I’m up for it! See you there

28. nhindian

nhindian Champion (875) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

Great - I'm here in the back left corner, blue sweater with an Under Armor hat

29. Jesperrr

Trader

Anyone there tomorrow as well?