For the love of Porter!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MorgothBauglir, Nov 29, 2014.

1. MorgothBauglir

MorgothBauglir Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania

Porters are my favorite dark beer. For all the BAs that share my opinion on porter, tell us what qualities you think make a great porter/your favorite porter. Also, list your favorites. Cheers! :grinning:

KentT, AZBeerDude72 and tylerstravis like this.
  2. MorgothBauglir

I like them rich & robust, but not TO sweet. As with any beer style, a great balance is the most important quality to me. My favorite...? Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald by a landslide!!!

3. drewbeerme

drewbeerme Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2007 Illinois

In my experience the best porters I've ever had (Founders Porter and HF Everett) were really just stouts.

4. MorgothBauglir

A good porter is "browner." A happy medium between brown ale & stout :slight_smile:

5. drewbeerme

drewbeerme Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2007 Illinois

I'm aware of this.

BILF likes this.
  6. greentangle

greentangle Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2014 Minnesota

I can't analyze my taste preferences but I'd be glad if someone else would. I don't care for two already mentioned--Founders and Great Lakes. I do like Deschutes, Bell's, and Odell, so maybe I just prefer a lower ABV. Any obvious flavor difference between those two groups for the experienced raters among you?

7. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

I can't really tell u the difference between a Porter and a Stout, because I ain't no astrophysicist. But I know a Porter when I see one and SierraNevada is hard to beat.

8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I don't subscribe to the porter/stout distinction, but if I ignore the beers that brewers label black ale or stout and limit myself to those labeled porter:

Flag
    Meantime Naval College
    Victory Baltic/Red Thunder
    Caldera Pilot Rock
    Great Lakes
    Firestone Walker Reserve
    Port City

HenryAdams likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The qualities I look for in a Porter are a combination of dark malt flavors (e.g., some chocolate, a tiny bit of coffee, a touch of licorice, etc.) along with a luscious mouthfeel.

The beers that best represent those qualities are:

· Hill Farmstead Everett

· Founders Porter

· Deschutes Black Butte Porter

· Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

· Bell’s Porter

· Etc.

I recently homebrewed a clone of Hill Farmstead Everett and I am a happy camper!!

Cheers

10. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 New York

Eh, the fine line between porter an stout is so hard to nail down--after all, stout came out of higher ABV porter--stout porter.

Anyway, I like Founders, LOVE Eddie Fitz. But my all time, end-all-be-all Porter is Sammy Smith's Tadcaster. Close second is Anchor. Eel River makes a great one, and yeah, Deschutes is good, too, though all around less flavorful/less body than I like in a porter. Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter is a great beer.

For those of you in the Midwest, Door County Brewing (WI) makes one called the Polka King…and it is absolutely top shelf!

11. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (456) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Been really in a porter swing lately, just kegged a homebrew porter. Eddie Fitz, Founders, Anchor, and Fuller's London are all great.

OldRickSputin and MorgothBauglir like this.
  12. LampertLand

LampertLand Poo-Bah (2,091) Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

A good Porter , rich & robust , creamy smooth with a hint of bitterness on the swallow , some examples

Samuel Smith the infamous 'Taddy Porter' , Fuller's 'London Porter' , Driftwood's 'Blackstone Porter'

my favs/best example's of an English Porter ,

Deschutes
    'Black Butte Porter' , Swan's 'Caffe Fantastico DSP' , Tofino's 'Dawn Patrol Coffee Porter'

my favs/best examples of an American Porter , prost

BeerForMuscle and Caveworm like this.
  13. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Zealot (529) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Victory at Sea, had it on tap at Ballast Point last month, so good.

rather, checktherhyme, jrnyc and 3 others like this.
  14. BriantheBeerGeek

BriantheBeerGeek Initiate (0) May 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Looking forward to Sixpoint's Beast Mode Porter coming out in a month or so.

SN Porter is solid
    Troegs Dead Reckoning
    Founders
    Samuel Smith
    Samuel Adams Honey Porter
    Samuel Adams Holiday Porter

15. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

There's really no difference between porter and stout, just the name. Someone could have just as easily named it Edmund Fitzgerald Stout or Sam Smith Oatmeal Porter.

In any event, I too love Eddy Fitz. We don't get it out here, but I've had it before and it's amazing. Luckily, we do have an abundance of Mayflower Porter. This is my second favorite porter behind Edmund. Excellent stuff, I highly recommend you try it someday (I'm not sure if it makes it out your way or not).

EDIT: Whenever I think about best porters, I recall this brew: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/94/51679/
    I don't think it is brewed any more, which is a shame, because it was damn good.

16. dgherm

dgherm Devotee (477) May 29, 2005 Pennsylvania

SN Porter does the job for me.

JimKal, apendecto and kingofhop like this.
  17. LordCrabapple

LordCrabapple Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2006 United Kingdom (England)

For me, Anchor Porter is not only the best porter available, but one of the best beers ever created. A true American classic.

beerwego, MAS, CalgaryFMC and 15 others like this.
  18. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,447) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

The most important quality that makes a porter great is when it has this word on the bottle label: Everett

Masters likes this.
  19. marquis

marquis Crusader (792) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Very true. This of course widens the choice for lovers of the style if they realise that it's only the brewer's whim which decides what it's to be called , they might well find a "stout" they really enjoy.

20. JackHorzempa

Society

Jesse,

Another tasty Imperial Porter from Long Trail is Culmination: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/94/106738/

I bought two bottles when it was released. I drank one right away and it was yummy? The second bottle is in my basement cellaring.

Long Trail does indeed make some very tasty beers as part of their Brush and Barrel Series.

Cheers!

DrStiffington and Providence like this.
  21. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Crusader (739) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Bell's Porter is a mainstay. I love that beer.

With that, at this moment, I'm having my 1st Gonzo by Flying Dog, and I'm really digging it!

22. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (139) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

My go to porters

Smuttynose Robust Porter
    Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
    Sam Smith Taddy Porter
    Sierra Nevada Porter

MAS, Jacobier10 and Brolo75 like this.
  23. Providence

The trend in American brewing seems to be to name the higher ABV beers made with roasted malts as stouts and the lower abv beers made with roasted malts as porter. Additionally, if it finds it's way into barrel aging, it is usually, in my experience, also called a stout. These trends in naming are starting to give folks the perception that porters and stouts are different. Though, perhaps it perception of styles that ultimately determines styles anyways, so I guess this is nothing new.

24. Providence

I'd like to try that one. Are they still brewing it?

25. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,113) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

Foothills People's Porter is really nice.

SFNC likes this.
  26. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

My go to porters
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea
    Samuel Smith Taddy Porter
    Sierra Nevada Porter

I love the roasted malty character of porters, I prefer stouts

SFNC likes this.
  27. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,154) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

Mid to late 90's Bert Grant's Perfect Porter was, well, perfect. Peaty and unusual. Awesome.
    He sold hos company and it was tweaked down to something like a malted.

Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer (Baltic Porter) was pretty kickin', too.

and then Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Founders Porter, Hill Farmstead Everett, Deschutes Black Butte Porter...

dennis3951 and MorgothBauglir like this.
  28. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

All this talk of Porter is making me crave it. I have nice IPAs on hand, but I must have the dark, roasty smoothness of a Porter. Something about 'em. Comforting, is the word that comes to mind.

29. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Avery is the only one so far to do a Porter the right way. Nailing the ABV somewhere over 14% and up, compensating for the watered down stout mouth feel.

30. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A nice malty flavor with only a light roastiness and a moderate mouthfeel along with a subdued hop presence is what I like in a porter. If the malt has a slight smokiness, well, that's just a bonus. That describes Arcadia's London Porter, my favorite.

Billet and MorgothBauglir like this.
  31. Nick_V

Nick_V Defender (687) Jul 4, 2013 Wisconsin

King Titus?

zid likes this.
  32. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

#32 BrettHead, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    CalgaryFMC and Ranbot like this.
  33. SFNC

SFNC Zealot (502) Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

Ballast Point's Victory at Sea is the best that I've tried. Fullers, Anchor, GL Eddy Fitz and Founders are very strong and deep flavored. I find Sierra Nevada's Porter is very underated.

thatoneguymike and ChipMurray like this.
  34. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (418) Nov 18, 2008 New York

SN Porter. Founder's a close second. Founders is better, but I give the nod to SN because it's more sessionable, much like their SNPA.

TongoRad likes this.
  35. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I like them smoked too. It gives them a fall feel.
    My top three probably would be outside the locals would be
    Black Butte
    Edmund
    Sierra Nevada (though I don't like the aroma)

HammsMeASAP likes this.
  36. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,922) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

American Porter: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald (runner up Smog City Coffee Porter)

Baltic Porter: Alaskan Baltic Porter

37. Yellolab2010

Yellolab2010 Zealot (596) Jan 25, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

The 2 best I've had (well 3)!
    1. BA Everett (have not had the regular)
    2. BA vanilla framinghammer
    3. BA framinghammer

mconn13 likes this.
  38. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

i love many different styles. However my favourite is a seriously hoppy IPA or a Porter. In Canada we don't have access to all that is available in the US but here is what I've had and really enjoyed:

1. Deschutes Black Butte Porter - likely the best I've had.
    2. Harvest Moon Pig's Ass Porter - brewery out of Montana. Truly excellent with a hop finish that is unique.
    3. Yukon Brewing Lead Dog Ale - truly unique. Truly outstanding. It's an Olde English Ale but it certainly has Porter characteristics. http://yukonbeer.com/our-brews/lead-dog-olde-english-ale/
    3. Alley Kat Brewery St. Portersburg Porter - a local Edmonton brewery limited release that was outstanding.
    4. Fuller's London Porter - always good.

39. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,660) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Something I posted in another thread, which I may as well re-post verbatim:

"... Porters aren't sprinters- they're horses you ride all night long. Still, there are some that give better rides than the rest :slight_smile:.

Anchor Porter is a classic, and still one of the best as far as I'm concerned. So mulit-faceted; great yeast signature, great malt quality, great balance between hops and roast.

English classics are Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Fuller's London Porter. Look for impeccable balance and fruity/nutty overtones in these.

My new squeeze is that Einstok Toasted Porter from Iceland, so maybe try that one too. It's full flavored and velvety, and the rustic bread-like qualities start to come on the more you have it."

40. JackHorzempa

Society

It is not listed on the Long Trail website so my guess is no, they are not still brewing it.

Cheers!

Providence likes this.