Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

For those of you who've traveled the beer world...

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by draheim, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DimensionX

DimensionX Oct 1, 2010 Oregon

Well I haven't been everywhere but I did get the chance to visit Belgium earlier this year and it was a bit of an eye opener. It was an incredible experience and highly recommended but it made me realize just how good we have it here in Portland. I honestly did not expect that.

Now don't get me wrong, the famous bars and breweries all pretty much lived up to the hype but none of these places are really in the same place. Belgium is a small country (aprox the size of OR or WA) and it seems like most towns have one or two great spots but mostly you have to drive all over the country to find the good stuff (again super fun and highly recommended). Portland in particular has a bunch of great spots all within a couple miles of each other and that is a very rare thing in the world.

Belgium still has us beat on the lambic/wild front and I think we owe much of our own burgeoning beer culture to the great Belgian breweries but for as young as the overall American beer scene is I think we are doing pretty damn well for ourselves. Just think back 10 years, was there a "scene" anywhere in the states?

flexabull, 66jzmstr and draheim like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Actually, it's considerably smaller: about 12% the area of OR and 17% the area of WA... but otherwise, well said.

flexabull likes this.
  3. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

I always like what you have to say. We should meet and drink whales someday.

SGToliver likes this.
  4. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Sorry to bump an old thread but I can't resist.

I'm just waking up after a fun night in Waterbury Vermont. We hit all their best beer bars and stopped off at The Alchemist for a couple cases of Heady Topper (limit one per customer, but the girlfriend grabbed a second for me).

Folks here are extremely friendly, much more apt to chat up complete strangers than in the NW. Also, once they found out that we're here for beer all without fail proudly announced that Waterbury is the #1 beer town in America, and that they're also home to the number one beer in America.

So does it really beat out top places in the Northwest? Not a chance. I don't say that to disparage the place either because it's awesome, and for New England it is and should be their top choice.

But if you plunked it down somewhere between Hood River and Bend it would be just another great beer town in a state already full of them. The difference too, would be that they can only boast one brewery in this town. What's more this brewery only offers one beer and sells most of it via can. You can't even find it on tap in it's own town (at least not often according to everyone we spoke with). The bars here do a great job of filling out the taplists with the finest offerings of the region, but nothing local to Waterbury.

Visiting a place like this confirms for me how incredible the Northwest is. We have towns like this all over, and most of them have more than a couple great breweries that actually sell their beer on draft at their own pubs or in bars in town. Don't get me wrong, this place is great, but for us it's a great we're already used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe