Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Comment forum suggestions (city & off-topic)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by AleWatcher, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AleWatcher

Dear bros,
    I had 2 Thoughts for you to mull over:

Can we bring back the forums for some of the large cities (like Chicago, Boston, etc)?

Now that you've decided to have mods, can we have an off-topic forum?

Sincerely,
    Your users

2. Frankinstiener

Beer Trader

I love it when BA's sign their posts like this.

3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

I agree that forums for some of the big cities would be good and I'm sure there are some BAs willing to be moderators for their local cities... I personally am not supportive of an off-topic forum.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  4. RobertColianni

I vote against both ideas. If you want to talk baseball, firearms, or cars go to a baseball, firearms, or car forum. Add notes to your profile that say something about your hobbies outside of beer. Beermail will take care of the rest.
    Furthermore, the city forums would be just another level of disbanding. The regional forum idea barely manages to stay afloat, why add another tier to it?

Frankinstiener and Boilerfood like this.
  5. AleWatcher

Then don't use it.

Suppose I'm not supportive of having trading forums, should I attempt to get them removed?
    Nah, I just won't go to them.

That's the wonderful thing about this site-- if you want to use the trade forums, do it. If you don't, then you don't.
    No one will force you to.
    Same holds true for an offtopic forum. If you don't like it, then don't use it.

6. Frankinstiener

Beer Trader

The rest of the entire internet is an off topic forum so I think thats already covered. It is really easy to start Chicago threads in the Great Lakes forum.

RobertColianni likes this.
  7. RobertColianni

I understand you completely. If my vote could sway creation of either sub-forum and the vote was 50/50, I would vote in favor just to give it a try. I suppose if it lacked success it could be deleted.
    That said, I personally take part in a beer sub-forum on the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association forum and have gained many a connection in the Philadelphia area with people I share multiple hobbies with, but to me, beer advocate is my haven for one thing and one thing only and you know that's beer.

8. lunarbrew

Beer Trader

I also disagree with off-topic forums. Whether you trade or not, that subculture is still based off of beer--why we are all here. The moment you extend a site like this into the realm of general social networking (as opposed to beer social networking) is the moment many BAs start to lose interest.

RobertColianni likes this.
  9. leedorham

This isn't even the forum's final form.

AleWatcher and ShogoKawada like this.
  10. drtth

Mods are not the only resource consumed by an off-topic forum. I'd much rather have data storage space and CPU time consumed by improved search capabilities and different ways to sort, organize, and look at patterns in the database than by people arguing or insulting each other in an off-topic forum.

11. alysmith4

Semi-related, but it would be nice if DC, Maryland, and Virginia were all in the same "region."

aasher likes this.
  12. LMT

LMT

THIS!!!

I live in NoVA & it really is part of the DMV region...it has almost nothing in common with the "south Atlantic" region. Although, setting up different forums for all of the "regions" in the US could be a real pain

alysmith4 likes this.
  13. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Re: City forums: the few we had years ago were removed before switching the new forums due to lack of use/misuse; people have a hard enough time (even long time users) posting in the correct forums. I don't see us bringing them back any time soon.

Re: Still a big NO on off-topic. Having mods doesn't change our stance.

Thanks.

kuhndog and ufmj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe