Founders 2014 release schedule

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by kylelenk, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

[​IMG]

The Lowdown
    Nitro Series

We’ve been pouring nitro beers in our taproom for some time now. For the past few months, we’ve been experimenting with sending kegs of Nitro Pale Ale and Nitro Oatmeal Stout out to the market, an experiment that has met great success. Because of this response, we’ve decided to add these two beers to our availability calendar so that more people outside of Grand Rapids can enjoy them. Please note that these are draft-only offerings. It’s an exciting addition to our lineup!

New Specialty Beer in Development

Our R&D team is hard at work developing a new specialty beer to be added to our calendar for next October, November and December (see the area marked TBA on the calendar). Stay tuned for more details on that as we move into 2014. It’s sure to be delicious.

Specialty Releases

We are decreasing the number of specialty releases from six to four, giving each of the specialty releases in 2014 three months of availability on shelves and draft lines. Most notably, we movedBackwoods Bastard from a specialty release to a limited release—this beer is inherently a limited release (because it’s barrel-aged), and it fits much better in our calendar in this position.

Seasonals

In 2013, we started with two seasonal beers—Breakfast Stout and All Day IPA—but we ended up moving All Day IPA to our year-round lineup, leaving just Breakfast Stout in the seasonal category, with some slots to fill for 2014. We are going to fill those slots with Red’s Rye IPA and Rübæus, expanding availability of both from two months to four.

Red’s Rye IPA

Perhaps you’ve been confused about how to categorize Red’s Rye into a beer style. The name could lead you to believe that it’s a pale ale or a rye beer or an amber. To clear things up, we are changing the official name of the beer from Red’s Rye PA to Red’s Rye IPA. Red’s Rye IPA is first and foremost an American IPA. We hope this name change will help people understand that.

Note: Red’s Rye IPA will remain available on draft year-round but bottles will be moving to our seasonal lineup in 2014 rather than our specialty lineup, which is where we plugged them in this year.

Backstage Series

We will be continuing the release of our 750mL Backstage Series beers in 2014, with brands and timing yet to be determined. Stay tuned…

2. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

3. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Tba. Hmmmm. Ten Backwards Apples?

misterid and Thickfreakness like this.
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (407) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

TBA better be CBS in 4packs or 2014 is a fail for Founders.

5. dsmil

dsmil Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2009 Maryland

More Red's Rye (well more than 2013 at least).....I'm happy

A2HB, HoppyHeader and StLeasy like this.
  6. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

I am pretty sure most us of are pissed about a smaller window for the FBS release?

Thematically I really like what beers they are choosing for maybe of the seasons. Some of their beers are just way stronger and I'd prefer to have them year round versus all day ipa, etc.

7. getinked

getinked Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2012 Ukraine
    Deactivated

What you need to know:
    • Nitro Pale Ale and Nitro Oatmeal Stout kegs will be sent out to distro as draft only options.
    • A new specialty beer to be added to the calendar for next October, November and December.
    • Decreased the number of specialty releases from six to four. Backwoods Bastard becomes a limited release.
    • Changed the name of Red’s Rye PA to Red’s Rye IPA, well because it’s an American IPA.
    • 750mL Backstage Series beers will continue in 2014.

steebo777 and DWheeler379 like this.
  8. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

So when do we start brainstorming what the TBA will be?

Big barleywine? Oktoberfest/Christmas/Winter warmer?

9. BeerFan

BeerFan Initiate (127) Feb 11, 2003 New Jersey

I like te fact that more Imperial Stout will be brewed.

#9 BeerFan, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  10. bobhits

bobhits Meyvn (1,268) Oct 31, 2006 Kentucky

Argue that awful fruit beer...and I thought breakfast was going year round? WTF?

11. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Here's hoping they are brewing the same amount of FBS and using that extra for more KBS, right?

jawzman likes this.
  12. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

If the TBA Specialty is something we've seen before, I'm going to guess it is either part of the Mountain Brown, Frangelic, or Spite families, or possibly Yukon Cornelius Holiday Porter.

13. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Poo-Bah (1,783) Dec 6, 2009 Georgia
    Society

I'm hoping that the winter release will be the glorious return of Nemesis. Barleywine, anyone?

14. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

They certainly need to step up their game. Unless they're producing a lot more KBS next year (which I doubt will be much more), this doesn't look like a schedule that is keeping up with a lot of other major craft breweries.

15. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

I find the Curmudgeon release just bizarre now. First off that's probably Founders least popular speciality release and now it's available from April to June which are popular drinking months and Double Trouble moves to July. I'm almost okay with this because Imperial Stout will now be out for 3 months of the year. However, apparently Founders thinks Curmudgeon is warm weather drinking now?

jcb7472, smutty33 and oldedog like this.
  16. abaculy

abaculy Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2005 Michigan

I believe this is the year we will see 3X the amount of KBS (but that may have been last year). Unfortunately, Founders isn't a brewery that releases tons of different beers like Short's or The Bruery. However, they only release stuff that is overwhelmingly and consistently considered top-notch, and readily available in all distribution areas. The limited stuff has such a good reputation that it isn't necessarily easy to get, but they definitely make more of those beers than many other breweries make of their limited stuff. The difference is Founders has a large distribution footprint and great reputation for substance, quality, and consistency, so their stuff goes extremely quickly.

17. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

Except that they neglect the west coast. That's my only gripe with them really. I believe in the sticking to your brands and brewing them to best quality standards possible. Firestone is a brewery that goes by this motto and has proved very successful. But they also widely distribute a lot of their specialty beer. My fingers are crossed KBS will see 3 times the production come 2014.

18. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

FBS isn't the base for KBS, imperial stout is.

19. PaulyB83

Ya I had read that before too, just forgot. Hate sounding like an ignoramus.

20. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (2,162) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

That would be great. I loved both versions of Nemesis. I don't think they could call it Nemesis though, if I remember correctly.

21. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Isn't Sweet Respute a version of Nemesis? Also, I thought for greater sake the Backstage Series was taking on the purpose of what Nemesis was?

22. steebo777

I'm definitely ok with FBS being only 4months. It sits on shelves here the whole time anyway since they make a ton of it. Love me some Rubeaus (and blends amazingly with FBS), so that works out well. Stoked to see what the new seasonal will be. Black Rye?

Yep and yep.

WolvAlerine and PaulyB83 like this.
  23. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Wow...the butthurt hurt in here is amazing.

Name me one other brewery that puts out the number of world-class beers that Founders does in combination with their widespread distribution.

The hate for Rubeaus is just silly. Is it the best beer ever? Absolutely not. Is it a refreshing summer brew, absolutely yes. Fruit beers are an acquired taste, and it is among the best, non-lambic fruit beers available. That being said, I agree that this does not necessarily need to be a season-long offering.

Seriously people...get over yourselves and realize that Founders is an incredible brewery that releases some of the best beer on the planet.

Your desire for year-round FBS and gripes about the limited nature of KBS are just plain unrealistic. These are expensive beers to make, and the only way to guarantee profitability is to keep them limited in order to guarantee nearly complete sales.

The lack of appreciation for an amazing brewery that produces an amazing list of wonderful beers simply because you don't like a few of them and/or are pissed off that you can't get the limited releases is just arrogant and shitty.

24. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Yeah Sweet Repute looks to be a remake of Nemesis 2009. The next year it was a "black barleywine" (imperial stout anyone?). Then they had to get rid of the brand, I think for copyright reasons.

Barrel-aged or not, I would like to see a wheatwine or barleywine/old ale from them in four-packs that isn't Curmudgeon. And also isn't hoppy.

25. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Put up a little FBS now--it holds.

I am not familiar with older offerings but have they ever had a "Christmas beer" /winter ale before?

26. MPPHISH

MPPHISH Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 New York

I could certainly get behind that.

27. steebo777

Nope, and I'm glad they don't. Weak style IMO.

28. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Excited to hear about the new release, but kind of bummed that Backwoods Bastard is shifting to a limited release.

29. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Pretty similar to this year. Good news is more imperial stout. Which is their best beer. Notable omission is devil dancer. Although i cant say i bought any this year.

tdmccarthy likes this.
  30. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

Marry me??

Also, little birdies tell me whispers of an Imperial Black IPA on the horizon, possibly the TBA in question. Presumably a double Artist Inspired. No I don't have sources, but it's on trusted authority. Take it for what you will.

EricTKole, Mikus, alelover and 3 others like this.
  31. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Sure wouldn't mind if it was.......(Below taken from Founders Facebook page)

Grand Moff Imperial Black IPA!

*It's an Imperial Black IPA brewed with Midnight Wheat Malt, Chinook & Centennial hops, and at 103 IBUs, carries a rather 'rebelious' hop character!

32. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

I forgot that they have that on tap now. That makes even more sense. They had All Day on tap with different recipes for months to fine tune it before they bottled and released it.

33. PaulyB83

I bet Founders could do a killer Christmasy Gingerbread Stout.

Vonerichs likes this.
  34. PaulyB83

If they do plan on releasing a black IPA for 3 months it would have to be an Imperial one. The Inspired Artist Michigan only release was perfect because they knew people would drink it fresh. After only two weeks much of the citrus in it had faded and if they released it to other states and for multiple months they would have to up the hops to keep them from fading fast. Looks to be what they are working though, considering the schedule release yesterday coinciding with this Imperial Black IPA on tap at the brewery now.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  35. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,810) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Founders is really starting for give three floyds a run for its money in the level of venom spewed in its direction on BA.

acyl, mjshearer1, DemoniChris and 3 others like this.
  36. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

well it doesn't have the Backstage Series on it and that's continuing so that should be 4 more one-off releases.

37. RickerATL

RickerATL Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Georgia

Rubaeus is not my cup of tea. It literally tastes like a bad wine cooler. I am a Founders fan boy for sure but that was disappointing. I'm all for trying new stuff but I can't defend that one.

riemster likes this.
  38. PaulyB83

Too be fair though, when you do a barrel aged IPA and follow it up with two fruit beers, one with one of the hottest peppers in the world in it, you're kinda of inviting some criticism. Not that they can't take it.

39. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (121) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

DD's up there in June.

Craigory likes this.
  40. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Do you have sources stating Imperial Stout is the base? There are notable differences between Imperial Stout and the beer that goes into barrels which becomes KBS. My understanding is the base beer is a unique beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.